Homogenising eliquid

I’ve read on these forums many times that once a mix has been homogenised, it’s good to go the next day. I’m just wondering why this wait until the next day is necessary.
Is it solely down to all the bubbles and giving them time to settle or is there some other reason as well?
Can a mix not be vaped straight away after it’s been homogenised?
What’s wrong with vaping a mix while it’s still milky or full of bubbles from the homogenisation process?

8 Likes

It can be vaped, generally, they just need a little time to settle a little. You can give it a spell in a USC to clear it quickly.
To give you an idea of what the USC does (this is not a mix of flavours it is malic acid in PG - homemade TPA sour)

10 Likes

That’s good to know Simon, thanks. I’ll be adding a USC to my wish list.
:+1:

8 Likes

Not an essential item by any means but awesome for cleaning tanks and coils etc (as well as using after homogenising if you wish)

8 Likes

I had already been wanting one anyway for cleaning my tanks etc but wasn’t in much of a rush to get it. Now I know I can use it to make a homogenised mix vapable as quickly as this, I’ll be getting one as soon as possible. Patience is not one of my strong points :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

You most likely can vape right away after homogenization. When I did my videos on the process I took into account best practice as presented by the makers of homogenizers which included a “settling period”. The details regarding the benefits of a settling period where not detailed. In most applications there is tissue also being processed. Maybe that has something to do with it. For me it’s simply no inconvenience letting it settle overnight. I have tasted it before and after the settling period and got the sense it was better after settling but that could be purely psychological on my part having accepting settling as part of the process. It wasn’t like it tasted like Draino right after homogenization.

And ditto as per @woftam. A USC is a very handy thing to have around. I’ve cleaned a ton of things with it as well as let it vibrate the bubbles out of e-juice.

9 Likes

I did a youtube search a couple of days ago to find some info about the FSH-2A and guess who’s review I watched? Yup, you’re famous Walt! :stuck_out_tongue:
I was trying to find out what the extra bits that came with it were for but couldn’t find any info.
I have a metal tube thing with a nut & bolt through it which after a bit of checking, seems to be a replacement part which fits inside the homogeniser end and slots over the head (?) to turn it when it’s running. The other part I have is a flat metal oval shaped plate with some holes in it. Still have no idea what that’s for.

8 Likes

I can’t remember to be honest. I know it came with a few pieces/parts for ancillary use.

Ya, famous, lol. There’s a part of me that wishes I had not done the video. I was happy to post it to say here is another way to mix and relate my experience with it but in many peoples minds it made me some kind of expert. If folks really want to get into details I would recommend consulting their local chemist and hydrodynamic engineer with experience in the development of homogenizers. It also made me some kind of soothsayer in many peoples minds due to the indoctrination regarding steeping. As far as I’m concerned “steep away” my friend. If it works for you be happy! It seems everybody except me is an expert, lol. I simply don’t care. Do what you like and leave me out of it.

10 Likes

This is the USC I use,

I had found one for $60 us, I also use it to heat the VG prior to mixing with the homogenizer

9 Likes

Yeah I read through the comments on the video and can see why you think that.

6 Likes

Social media has a tendency to bring out the worst in people or maybe just the worst people, lol.

Come along if you care
Come along if you dare
Take a ride to the land inside of your mind

But please realize you’ll probably be surprised
For it’s the land unknown to man

Where fantasy is fact
So if you can, please understand
You might not come back

Or in the immortal words of Fozzi Bear, “Waka Waka!”

9 Likes

When developing a new recipe, after adding whichever ingredients and some vg then homogenising, if you then alter the concentrates or add another to that same sample mix, is it ok to homogenise again or will that deteriorate the flavour or something?

6 Likes

I’ve wondered that, as well. In the case of SFT’ing, I generally don’t homogenize because I typically keep adding flavor to the existing tester, and would have to homogenize two or three times. I’m not sure what the science would say about that, Andrew. Sometimes I will add sweetener to a 100 mL bottle of finished Liquid after homogenizing, and generally just warm it a little bit, shake it, and let it sit for a few days.

6 Likes

Nobody got an answer to this? @woftam @SessionDrummer

5 Likes

Homo it a second time.

5 Likes

Great, thanks SD.

4 Likes

I don’t think anybody can answer that question on this forum. When you homogenize, there will be off gassing. It has been my experience that the off gassing does not adversely effect the flavor of the juice but that is by testing by tasting. Is it possible that with multiple sessions of homogenization that off gassing could somehow deteriorate the juice? I can’t answer that for sure. Would you taste a difference or even know if you tasted a difference in as much as your not sure what to expect? I doubt it. It really comes down to try it and see. Same as homogenizing vs steeping. Try it and see if you like it. Choose the one you like for whatever reason. Then be happy.

9 Likes

@SmilingOgre I’m going to say if you’re off-gassing, you’re loosing flavor molecules. How many ?? No clue. I’m 100% sure, you could homogenize yourself into a flavorless bucket if tried hard enough, but 2 runs, shouldn’t kill anything IMO.

6 Likes

I wasn’t saying I want to do 2 runs. I may end up adding or altering flavours a number of times and homogenising after each. This is why I asked. I should have been more specific, sorry.

5 Likes

Well, if you’re adding multiple flavors, I’d add them all, then homogenize one time.

6 Likes