Heating e-liquid components

I don’t mean to mince words here @Steampugs, oh yeah, it helps in a LOT of ways, mainly keeping me CALM !!!

8 Likes

Well yeah…there’s that obviously :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hehe, just messing with you Paul. I know the points being made.

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 1 hour before trying again.

4 Likes

That helps YOU though :wink: …not the liquid…my turn to mince them words :smirk:

4 Likes

Well SHIT, now I"m even ANGRIER that I’m outta likes. Dammitt…

4 Likes

I use lab hotplates with temp probes i have 3 of these they are not cheap and they are now out of production so they are hard to find.

I am going to be experimenting with a coffee mug warmer (USB) very soon it has just 3 settings (70f, 90f, 110f) i think this will be great for small batch testing using the GC. At $12 from amazon i am not expecting it to a totally awesome bit of kit but at that price it will be well worth playing with.

https://www.amazon.com/PIKAJIU-Constant-Temperature-Thermal-Insulation/dp/B084Q2FKV3/

9 Likes

This is all excerpted from Carolina Xtraction FAQ;

Should I store Nicotine Products in the freezer?

No, Absolutely not. Damage can occur to100MG/ML nicotine products when oxides form during near-freeze/thaw cycles caused by temperature fluctuations of some freezer units (but not all). Such fluctuations are typically caused by opening the freezer door and outside weather affecting the efficiency of the unit. Typical refrigeration temperatures, or even room temperatures are a much safer storage range than 27-33F because they are well away from freeze/thaw potential.

What causes the oxidation and browning of Nicotine.

Air contact immediately begins the oxidation of nicotine similar to the way an apple will darken before your eyes in just minutes.

The cellular wall of the tobacco plant protects nicotine from oxidation in an amazing way. CXTC’s SFE process cracks open that cellular wall in an oxygen free environment using highly pressurized CO2 and prevents all oxygen contact throughout filtration and packaging.

Nicotine turns brown for three basic reasons: Oxidation from exposure to air is the main cause, however remnants of solvent left behind and “product cooking” from heat using other extraction methods.

If you are using CXTC Supercritical Nicotine from our glass bottles, we recommend that you purchase from any grocery store’s wine section a product called Cork Pops™. It is a Argon 5.0 injection system that can be used to blow out air ingress caused by opening the bottle, purging the air with pure Argon.

https://www.carolinaxtract.com/cxtc-faq

7 Likes

I remember seeing that before. Despite reading that, and doing a Room Temp. vs. Freezer storage comparison, I had no choice but to continue freezing.

6 Likes

Did you use argon or another inert gas while storing at room temp?

5 Likes

TBH @Jim22, when I DID do the A/B comparison, I did NOT top off with Argon. I do use that in all my 500ml long term, low temp freezer storage. Have you tested room temp with Argon ?

4 Likes

No, I have not yet. I have a liter of Carolina Xtract that I will crack open in the next month or so. I keep planning to go to one of the local wine stores and grab an argon thingy. I am hoping it works like they say. I only vape at 1mg so that liter should last me years.

4 Likes

@Jim22 I wish I HAD tested both, but saw the no-Argon results, and ended up buying ANOTHER freezer and at that point I started topping all my 500ml amber glass with Argon. Have a couple gallons on ice.

Now I have NO doubts that Carolina Xtracts knows more about NIC than me, and the freeze/thaw detioration makes sense, but in effort to stave that off, I have dedicated, low temp freezers with BIG bottles in, and the ONLY one that goes in the non-ded freezer is my working bottle.

3 Likes

Sorry, fixed freezer linkage.

1 Like

Im not sure how true this can be ??? What we do know is that the warmer the concentrate gets more molecules from that concentrate are released . How much of an affect it is im not sure but wr cant say that heat does not affect concentrates …

NOTE : This statement has nothing to do with the GC it is only in reference to heat and concentrates …

If we are only talking about taking the temp to a certain temp than I stand corrected …

4 Likes

I disagree , but since I like you ill agree to disagree :hugs::hugs:…Plus it is to hard for me to debate through text and get my thoughts across lol.

I can agree with this statement …

3 Likes

This is more about storing your flavors and how they react to opening and closing , Vanilla vs Fruit etc . I would think that heating a concentrate in something that is not sealed that the molecules would be escaping while being heated …

Every concentrated flavor is a mixture of raw materials, and every flavor blend can act
differently. For example flavors that have a vanilla characteristic are going to have
slightly different storage capabilities than fruit flavors. Here’s the reason.
Vanilla and caramel flavors are mostly made of large molecules like vanillin, ethyl
vanillin , etc.
These molecules are not very volatile, and tend not to escape the bottle when you open it.
They will be fairly stable. Fruit flavors, on the other hand, are made of much smaller
molecules in general. Whenever you open a bottle, it’s the lightest and smallest molecules
that escape and reach your nose quickly. Over time when you open a bottle over and over
again more and more proportion of these lighter molecules leave the bottle and eventually
the character of the flavor will be changed. This doesn’t mean the flavors spoiled, it’s just
different. So this is one piece of advice, if you are going to store a flavor for a long period
of time, transfer the flavor to smaller bottles that will you will not have to open over and
over again.
Also, when a flavor is warm, like if it’s a hot day, when you open the bottle even more
of the volatile molecules will escape; much more will escape than if the flavor was cool.
This is true for all liquids, when liquids are heated the molecules are much more easily
converted to their gaseous state. So in general it is a good idea to keep the flavor cool.

Again this is not in reference to weather or not the GC makes your liquid better faster or not because that is a fact that I have been amazed by …Im simply saying that heat does affect concentrates if the heat is not controlled properly…I may be wrong but its something ive believed to be true and flavor manufactures have said in the past …Now if the discussion was " does heating your VG and adding it to flavors and PG while using the GC help yiur liquid steep faster " then the answer is YES it works like everyome says it works. I have been amazed by how The GC works , truly Guitarded has created an amazing , amazing tool and I thank you Guirtarded for this . But heating any concentrate will alter that concentrate …Are they " Harmed " not sure if harmed is the right word or not …Just my .02 …

Disclaimer: My opinion of heat vs concentrates by themselves has Nothing to do with the " Game Changer" This device works and that is a fact…I have tested multiple Recipes that take a minimum of 2 weeks to naturally steep . These recipes have been ready the next day… The Game Changer had nothing to do with weather or not Heat affects Concentrates at a certain flavor , I guess I should have read more than just your one post . I see earlier in the thread you mention a certain temp and that this conversation had already went some what side ways my apologies for not reading thouroghly…These are only my opinions…and typically my opinion is right bc its my opinion bwhahaha …Love and Peace lol

Side NOTE : My Opinion of heat vs concentrates is Heat can affect flavoring at a certain temp…Weather you can heat flavorings to a certain temp b4 they are affected is another story :+1:

4 Likes

I have been mixing for a little while now and I have always used heat in the near 5 years I have been doing this I have had one experience where the addition of heat has changed the mix and if you want to check ELR I documented why.

The addition of heat, in this case, was totally uncontrolled and the mix was actually producing vapour in large quantities (read the whole mix was at around 200c), The result of this was that the mix was largely lacking in flavour.

I will tell you anecdotally that in all this time controlled application of heat to loosen up the VG has NEVER resulted in less flavour that I can discern - I would go as far as saying that if you can taste lesser flavour then you are simply imagining it due to the fact that it is so ingrained in your brain that it is so.

At the end of the day, we mix for end result so at the end of the mixing if the e-liquid tastes good even if you heated it does it even matter if you did or didn’t lose .00000001% of the flavour molecules that you put in the mix.

Controlled heat 60c or less will not hurt your mix. However, uncontrolled over heating may have an effect on the overall flavour because it has to a degree decomposed all of your compounds (pg/vg included).

This is not aimed at anyone just my observations over time.

9 Likes

I take None of these conversations personal…I am a fan of your creation …My understanding is that this Thread was about Heating Eliquid Components …It was not about your product , I wish youe product wasnt brought up ( at least not in my initial comment ) . We have had great communication and I have many questions in which you have been able to answer thoroughly and by doing so you have been able to address the Science of High Shear mixing leaving no doubt that I can Heat all components together without it affecting the liquid…Again my statement Never had anything to do with the GC …I know your frustration and heard it in your Voice when we spoke the other day…

I get this point , again with my first statement the “GC” wasnt even considered …It actually bothers me to know that these conversations we have had for many years weather its heating an element or using refrigeration to keep the temperature stable for storing concentrates is gonna lead back to your Creation and possibly cause you any frustration , that thought imo is a shame …Sincerely I hope you understand my comments were made without thinking of your product in the equation , and if these thoughts bring any argument against your product ill be more than happy to delete them…

6 Likes

This is how I should have addressed my first comment I guess…Man it really sucks that we have to be so precise with temps and that we have to make sure we have to add big lettering etc…My only point to begin with was that heat can affect flavors…Lol…Boy I better start reading entire threads carefully shame on me

7 Likes

78.37c in the proper temperature scale or 351.52 K for the uber-geeks lol

6 Likes