Grubbys slightly blurry look inside the Platinum Kangertech K-Box Mini

I had this apart as the 510 is knackered and thought I’d (try) take some photos for those interested.

3 Likes

Alright @Grubby! Love it! Interesting how they went about that. I can’t help but think about Grubby’s silver hammer looking at this. That was just classic!

4 Likes

That solder connecting the PCB to the battery cup in your picture is what was broken on my GBOX from the factory. Fortunately the re-solder was easy, but I was disappointed at the QC that let that by.

Thanks for the pics, I think any time gut-shots of mods are posted is a good thing.

4 Likes

It sits next to me at the table, ready for action at a moments notice. :smile:

4 Likes

I thought the wire guage was quite thin for a mod, what do you think @Sprkslfly

3 Likes

I really liked these when they first came out. I bought the subtank mini 50w… Loved it until one night I was vaping and watching TV and all of a sudden I smelled plastic burning :open_mouth:. Realised it was my vape so hurried up and pulled the battery. The sled [edit the chip was] melting. I don’t know what happened? I was using the subtank with pre coils. Brand new battery also. Idk that was the last Kanger I bought. My guess would be bad wiring?

3 Likes

Eeeeek, I have my original 50w black K-box still and that one is still working even though I slammed it into the table and bent the top part a little… Looks quite snazzy with a carbon fibre wrap

3 Likes

You were in need of the @Grubby fix all tool!

Bang bang Grubby’s silver hammer came down on it’s head
Da do do do
Bang bang Grubby’s silver hammer made sure it was dead
la la la la

5 Likes

Yup that’s the one I had. I put mine through hell too. I wish I wouldn’t of thrown it away. But it stunk really bad

2 Likes

Check it out , I found pics

4 Likes

Oh god, I think they only go to 0.3ohm so maybe your atty messed up?

You were lucky there I think

3 Likes

Oh holy crap!!!

5 Likes

Yeah maybe, and I’m glad I was right there.

3 Likes

God forbid if a mod ever went off unattended

3 Likes

I have a special room for charging batterys

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzgxMmU4Y2M0NDc2ZmFkMjc5NV8xMDI0cHgtTk9SQURCbGFzdC1Eb29ycy5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ

5 Likes

I was pretty new to Vaping when it happened. These days I would gotten a hold of Kanger asap.

3 Likes

Did you get that on Amazon? I need to get one of those lol

5 Likes

I got really lucky with that a long time ago too. I had a SMC TC60 Mini at the time and loved it. It was at my desk, cold and unused, and actually powered off, when suddenly I heard sizzling and popping. The mod auto-fired and would not stop. I picked it up and it was hot as hades, and no button input would stop it. I was able to get the battery out before it vented or the mod melted, but that could have happened in the middle of the night just as easy. That was so early into my vaping career that I almost actually reconsidered staying with it. And it made me paranoid enough to take out the cells from my mods at night for a few months, but eventually lazy won out again, as it always does.

4 Likes

Jeeeez, you were lucky, not seen any reports on this being a huge problem though, I guess when it has happened the person has been with the mod or something.

I’ve only seen one mod auto fire and that was my wifes pen type so not a big deal, in fact I remember vaping it for a while, auto vape FTW :smile:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was the result of a few accidental juice baths, but still… I mean, it was shut off even, not just standby. Either it malfunctioned or it was alive and very needy.

4 Likes