First Time I went over 120mph was in a . .

Well holy shit!! I had NO idea there were a bunch of gear heads in this clan of our’s :+1: :grinning:

I looked it up…nice looking car, @ianc13 !

Did your bike have a wheelie bar to keep the front end down to get those ET’s? That’s like 165 mph, Ian! WOW :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Not the first, thought I had a pic but this is the last one I had that speed, Falcon Ute

9 Likes

Sound’s like you had alot of fun, Ian! Good memory’s for sure. I ran my 1971 Chevelle Coupe at the dragway(gone now) for a few year’s in my late teen’s, every Sunday. Loaded the 9in. slick’s into the trunk, drove 50min. to get there, crawled under to swing the exhaust away from the header collector’s and ran 14.5’s @ 95mph in bracket racing. I had a small budget back then, too. Seem’s like yesterday :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Used to love the drags as did my father in law who held the Au 1/4 record for a little bit

I love a good gear thread

8 Likes

Ya, me too!
I worked at a couple different engine machine shop’s back in those day’s, and learned nearly every facet of the engine rebuilding/performance/racing trade.

Immediately picked out the large pulley on the alternator, used to slow it down, and keep it from robbing power!

Very Cool Story, Simon :grinning:

7 Likes

He is still building drag cars and turns 80 this year - it is never out of your blood

8 Likes

A Norton 750. Had my wife to be on the back. The seat was wet when we got off.

8 Likes

Gotta hate those ‘pop up’ shower’s… :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I had a 78 MGB…I loved that car more than any I’ve had. But what a pain in the ass it was!!

7 Likes

Hehe, I couldn’t get up to 120 LOL.

6 Likes

Of course, depending on whom your talking to, FORD can mean different thing’s, right…
‘Found On Road Dead’, or my favorite, having had Ford Truck’s for the past 29yrs., ‘Fastest On Race Day’ :sunglasses:

5 Likes

So what changed?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. I was about to include some commentary over the wet seat as well, but figured that would be over the top trolling.

Carry on :laughing:

8 Likes

I’ll have to dig through some old Polaroids and find my ‘68 Torino 302 Seekonk “figure 8” car….

My old ‘76 xl would easily do “a buck 20”,
S&S bottom end , 77 cubes, andrews cams, dual plug, 194 valves, 7k rev limiter…
I used to burn the tire off up at Laconia doing quaalude‘s (the burnout, not the drug…. and vise versa🤣)

It’s still sitting out in the back building, another project never finished…

8 Likes

Aahh…memories I’ll have to dig up my plywood burnout photo’s, on my full dresser at the Stafford Rodeo. Shifted through all 5 gears.
Hey, at least you still have the bike!

I stripped down a mid 70’s Impala and did the Fig.8 at Riverside Park. Kidney’s hurt for day’s after that!

Hunker down…good luck tomorrow, Rocky!

6 Likes

Here’s going the OPPOSITE of 120 !!!

6 Likes

You know what they say about four-wheel-drive… Just get’s you stuck further out in the woods! :crazy_face: But it’s fun :wink:

6 Likes

Hehe @whthek yeah, that about sums THAT up. I ended up with almost 9" of lift, I think 42" Super Swampers, a Detroit locker in the rear, ARB Air locker in the front, a transplanted 460ci, and custom 1.5T drive shafts, and STILL got into trouble. Like you said, the bigger it is, the DEEPER you are in there, when you get stuck, and no one will be able to get TO you, or get you OUT !!!

6 Likes

:flushed:

I don’t think you’d get round the corner with that here! Mr Policemen would have a field day :grin:

5 Likes

Hehe, not sure what the laws are now, but back in the “day”, as long as it was a “block” suspension lift, there weren’t any issues. It was a 6" susp with custom springs, and 3" body.

4 Likes

Are your car parks designed for those big mothers, I had a BT50 a few years ago and it was a bitch to park at some places here. Always looked at lifting it but I got bored with it and my leg used to get sore changing gears in traffic. :rofl:

4 Likes