DIY coils. Tips and Tricks

You took the words out of my mouth, Tim!

3 Likes

I watched this video several times before attempting my first alien, @MisterSadister

Nick is a good teacher.

Also, the Mohawk coil provides an excellent vape, and if memory serves me, they are created by ‘under stretching’ your wrap wire.

Some people do not pre-stretch when making aliens. If you can find the right tension, the result is the same.

5 Likes

Never tried mate, seem to be mixed opinions on them. some really like them while others say the vape is too hot, did you get a hotter vape?

3 Likes

Not at all, Tim. I’ve run the same pair of 3.5mm Ni80’s in my qp M30 for over 16 months. They ramp up evenly, and I get a nice, warm vape at 70-80W. I had mentioned in another thread, that I went 3 months between rebuild’s…it was with this setup. These coils seem to self clean, as even after all that time, the buildup on the outer surfaces was minimal. Of course, your result’s may vary, based on the liquid you feed them!

4 Likes

Never tried them mate just was commonly mentioned but pretty sure they were using them with RDA’s rather than an RTA!

4 Likes

Was that the one with no re-wicks either?

4 Likes

Correct! I know, it sound’s crazy. To be fair, the mix I ran in it was only 5% total flavor, BUT, I’ve since switched to Nevans ‘Manchester Tart’(an 18% mix), 13 day’s ago, and looking down the chimney with light, the coil’s are clean(bare metal). I’d never seen this with any other coil.

4 Likes

I thought my Zirconium build was going great guns being at the 2 weeks stage of solid vaping without yet needing a re-wick! Have you been vaping exclusively with that set-up or is it in rotation?

I do my own Manchester Tart (e-liquid and dessert), I live in Bolton but it’s part of Greater Manchester! Yeah a Manchester Tart recipe isn’t going to have any coil killer flavours in there and not ridiculously sweet.

4 Likes

Him who lives in a weird part of the EU doesn’t believe you! :rofl: :metal:

4 Likes

Yes. Maybe 25ml a week through this tank.

4 Likes

That’s 325ml, some going but looking at it like that perfectly doable for someone who’s vaping habits are coil friendly!

4 Likes

This video, although he rambled on a lot, was extremely helpful. I see that I did under stretch the decore. I went on to watch his video on Mohawk aliens, and since I still have some of the under stretched dexore left, i will be giving it a go.

5 Likes

@whthek Thank you for sharing that video. These are the results of my first attempt after watching it.

7 Likes

I can see that your prep. work was very thorough, @MisterSadister . Get those wraps a bit tighter, and you’ll have some real looker’s. :+1: Well done!

6 Likes

Progress is being made.

5 Likes

I put in all this work, might as well try them out.

7 Likes

Progress is being made. I almost get them perfect now.

8 Likes

Your improving rapidly. Goodonya :+1:

What are the wire specs? And how do they vape

5 Likes

@Wayneo 3 x 26AWG wrapped in a 36AWG alien. I get about 0.1 to 0.14 ohm from them (depending on how well I get them wrapped).

As for how they vape, I currently have one of the not so great sets in my Dead Rabbit and I get 0.12 ohm, vaping at 80W. The flavor is great, nice and smooth. Even with the coils not being the best I have made so far, they are already better than the fused clapton coils I usually by.

5 Likes

I take it that’s for a pair?

5 Likes