DIY coils. Tips and Tricks

So, I have finally decided to start making my own coils. It looks so easy on YouTube. It isn’t, at least not at first.

I made my first Alien coils today, they came out pretty good, but the clapton wraps are spaced a bit far apart. I think i need to find a balance between the drill speed and how I feed the alien wire onto the core wires.

Any tips on how to improve?

7 Likes

Completely unskilled I’m afraid, I have to buy the different ready made rolls and just wrap the coils but combining the wires themselves, beyond my skill set!

4 Likes

Just a quick update.

I made some more coils, these came out a bit better that my aliens.

6 Likes

Those look really good, were they a pain to make?

5 Likes

Nice, @MisterSadister :+1:

4 Likes

@Grubby not really, Alien coils are far harder to get right. Or I am just really bad at them.

5 Likes

I’ve never tried to make them, they look complicated, so good job! :beers:

5 Likes

These are a tad big but damn, they are nice. Ohm out at 0.13. Nice and warm vape. Great flavor and cloud.

8 Likes

They look very good, are they slow to ramp up?

4 Likes

Here’s a tip to have a coil glow without strumming it… Space it, heat it up and then close the space if needed while hot on the jig… Takes 2 hands but it will glow without you having to fiddle with hot spots… Works with fused claptons, been doing it for years and always see youtubers building them type and playing guitar with it for 2 minutes… Try it with those triple sow cow 360 nose dive coils you got, might be a time saver.

5 Likes

I have been playing aroind with some more coil ideas.

I have not had a chance to test the resistance of these yet.
A mix of nichrome and stainless.
1x 28guage nichrome with a 36guage nichrome wrap.
1x 28guage nichrome with 32guage stainless wrap.
1x 0.5x0.1mm ribbon nichrome.

6 Likes

I bet that will be vicious from cold! looks good though.

5 Likes

Looks good @MisterSadister :+1:

5 Likes

Just a quick update on my first attempt with stainless steel.
They ohm out 0.44ohm.
Those colors are pretty cool though. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

How are they heating up for you, Old Goat? Evenly?

3 Likes

@whthek they heat up very evenly. Strats in the middle and quickly works its way out.
But I am only vaping at 34 - 45 watts.

5 Likes

These did not come oit the way I thought it would. The picture in my head when I started this is not what you see here.

But they work great. Not the best coils I have ever used, but also not tje worst.

4 Likes

Failed attempt number 100 at making Alien coils.
They are not going to beat me. I will figure it oit at some point.

4 Likes

Maybe you should make them and then decide what it is you made, they look an excellent attempt at Mohawk coils! :ok_hand:

4 Likes

A Mohawk!

3 Likes