Cotton falls in half after vaping for a day…

Having this issue where the cotton falls in half after vaping for a day, I thought it was due to hotspots but pulsing the coil shows none…

0.3ohm alien at 30-50w on the TVL Revenant Squonk kit

What could be causing the cotton to fall in half?

For those that don’t know what I mean by falls in half, it’s when the centre of the cotton, the part inside the coil, deteriorates completely, leaving two cotton ends in the coil

Thanks in advance

6 Likes

I get that more with MTL set-ups but not after a day! As you know the cotton deteriorating in the centre much quicker is the norm due to coil heating from the centre and in cases of chain vaping less saturation of juice, the combination of the two will do it!

Now what I do find when it happens much quicker with a MTL set-up is when the particular design prefers slightly more cotton so if that’s a clue to your problem and less cotton is needed is a possibility!

3 Likes

Just looked at my atty that came with the kit and it could be if the airflow is closed down some so the coil stays hot longer, it’s quite restrictive anyway from my recollection, certainly 50w would be too high for me with that airflow with a 0.3ohm Alien, I would have the airflow at about three quarters (because i do like restriction) open but only at 25-30w, 28w would be spot on for me!

3 Likes

Didn’t even know this was a thing. Did you change anything with your setup today?

4 Likes

If you’ve pulled the cotton and it was to tight it will thin the middle
My go to all day is a geekvape squonk single coils .25/.30 use them every day I’ve had that problem it gets to hot in the middle and it’s gone try it lose and see what happens

5 Likes

Sounds like low quality cotton, to me, Grubby. Have you used the same stuff in different builds with same results?

3 Likes

Wow @Grubby I thought I had seen EVERY possible WTF thing in regards to vaping. Even with ALL that I have seen, screwed up, blown up, I have never seen, or heard anything like this. Will follow this one.

4 Likes

Wow, I’ve never seen this @Timwis. If his wicks were THAT dry in the centers, how would he NOT be getting super choke dry hits ? Or at best, a very strong SCENT of dry hits ?

4 Likes

Agreed (repeating) @Illogik. @grubby, if you don’t mind, what brand cotton are you using, and what metal coils are you using ?

4 Likes

Did he tear(snag) the cotton pulling it through?

3 Likes

Yeah I get it but only with MTL and certainly nothing like a day! I tend to carry on using the same wicking until flavour is very muted so it’s not an issue for me and if I wicked more often probably wouldn’t even get it happening, simply trying to find a connection to what his problem might be!

4 Likes

Only thing I can picture is some knock-off counterfeit cotton(maybe not even cotton), that 's not withstanding the heat from the coil, and breaking down, but as @SessionDrummer says…you’d taste it in a heartbeat, right?!

3 Likes

Or maybe the cotton has split a little while pulling it through the coils. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Every time I’ve ever pushed something TOO long, hot, or dirty, I always KNOW, way before any cotton melts or falls apart. This is a weird one.

4 Likes

Single wire, smooth coils For The Win !!!

Good point.

4 Likes

I can’t see aliens snagging on the cotton tbh. They look fairly smooth to me. Something like stags though, I can see this happening.

3 Likes

Unless we’re talking the obvious like RAZOR sharp coils, WITH partially shredded cotton going in, I have no clue. If MY cotton was deteriorating, I’d have tossed it in the trash already, and started using alternate cotton ASAP, and watching it closely.

3 Likes

Well no, the worst culprit is the Bishop which gives outstanding flavour until it falls off the cliff and then I find the cotton broken in the middle! The similarities between the Bishop and the RDA @Grubby is using is complete lack of bottom airflow, again might mean nothing but could be a connection especially as now I lift the coil as high as possible in the Bishop to improve flavour even more and it now stays together much longer! The cotton I use varies but are all the usual favourites (quite often supplied by the manufacturer so not knock offs)! As for wire when I have noticed it happening is my Ni/SS Hybrids!

3 Likes

Interesting Tim…

5 Likes

But I stress I didn’t get this problem after just 1 day I am talking getting good flavour for 10-14 days before it suddenly fell off the cliff and found to have the problem @Grubby mentioned. But then take the Classic which due to trying to resolve an issue gets wicked much more often, the longest I have gone is 4 days and have never had any cotton deterioration!

4 Likes