Coil Resistance Increasing?

Hi All - I’ve been running a premade Ni80 Wotofo Dual Core Fused Clapton coil in my Hadaly clone RDA that started life at 0.28 Ohms resistance, and ran at at about that. The unit sees light duty as my mix testing rig and gets dry burned and cleaned frequently, but the coil may likely be a year old now.

I’ve recently noticed that the measured resistance seems to be increasing - the coils now measures at 0.39 Ohms. I’ve not seen any words on this subject - it this an indication that the coil is in need of replacement? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

6 Likes

You may have a broken wire in the coil - maybe the wrap if it has one. It is probably due for a new set but if it still works and the higher resistance doesn’t bother you let it roll.

6 Likes

Thanks mate - I’ve not noticed any burnt cotton or hot spots yet, but I think I can afford one coil per year, and that’s why I migrated to rebuildables - cost! I was mostly curious - thanks again - appreciate the thoughts.

5 Likes

I quite often use NI80, SS Hybrids with replay and noticed the NI80 wire is prone to isolated hotspots that can actually melt a thin strand of NI80 wire, this then causes what you are experiencing sometimes though the melted strand can leave a frayed piece which can do the opposite, shorting out! I would retighten your screws to see if that resolves it (a screw coming just a tad loose can also cause it) if not get a new coil in there!

6 Likes

Tim! First of all, thanks for your thoughts on that subject, however, you’ve touched on another unrelated subject that I’d like to ask about. (So, yes - I’m “hijacking” my own thread!)

You mentioned:

I have a supply of Vandy Vape 5 wrap, 3 mm ID Aliens that are defined as 28GA(A1*3)+30GA(SS316L). They were advertised as SS316L coils, which is why I bought them. When I tried to use these coils on a DNA Mod, Replay mode would not support these coils. “A1” is Kanthal, correct? These coils have a SS316L outer wrap? Am I mistaken to expect these coils to support Replay mode? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

5 Likes

Yep with Replay the coil only has to include TC compatible wire so they should work!

5 Likes

The coils I use for replay are practically the same as what you use except the inner cores are NI80 with SS outer wrap! Everything you said is correct and those coils should work @Wayneo any ideas?

5 Likes

@Timwis and @Wayneo , I hope you don’t mind, but I’m gonna try to drag @SessionDrummer into this conversation because I think I’ve seen him comment on similar Replay issues on another forum.

Could this be an issue related to Replay settings on my Lost Vape DNA devices? My first attempt was on a Lost Vape Centaurus DNA 250C, and I simply attempted to use the default Replay settings. I was under the impression that Replay could be used simply by installing a compatible coil in a compatible device, and selecting and running Replay mode? Do I need to modify the coil data under Replay mode, on the device? Thanks again in advance.

5 Likes

I have always just selected Replay, set wattage, took a few vapes (altering wattage if needs be) until it just seemed a really nice vape and then selected save puff, it then just runs no issues in Replay mode! I do only use 75C devices for Replay though. No tell a lie have been using my Dovpo Riva 250C and set that up the same way.

6 Likes

As for Lost Vape I have used Replay on the Mirage and worked exactly the same!

5 Likes

Being in US you do update with international software, The US I believe doesn’t support Replay?

4 Likes

@Timwis thanks again. On your last message, I ordered my unit from FastTech before they folded. I totally get the instructions - I’ve made Replay work with hand-wrapped SS316L Coilology Tri-Core Fused Claptons. I have to admit that it absolutely infuriates me when I have difficulties with something that is simple and straightforward for everyone else. :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I’ll try slamming in another Vandy Vape and trying again…

4 Likes

Thinking about it the Lost Vape Mirage was the first device I used replay on so was many moons ago and I think I might of had to go into escribe to allow replay on that profile, if so it’s the only mod it wasn’t just ready to go out the box!

4 Likes

I mean if my Ni80 with SS binding work no issues I just can’t see why your Kanthal with SS binding don’t very strange.

5 Likes

Do you have your Replay set up as a profile from when using your coilology coils so it’s looking for pure SS coils?

5 Likes

Just thought of something else, back when I used the Lost Vape Mirage was before I used hybrids they were SS coils and also the Riva 250C I have been using a simple SS coil I wound myself so it’s still possible it’s unique to how the Lost Vape DNA 250C comes set up, @SessionDrummer and @Wayneo must be in church or got a life.

5 Likes

Tim, let me get back to you. As part of my attempt to solve the issue, I downloaded and installed another material file, but right now I can’t remember if it was pure SS316 or a SS316L file. I may just revert the device back to the factory file, which I made sure I kept a copy of. Hold that thought - let me work on it again…

5 Likes

@CaptainKirk my overall experience with Replay is like Tim’s ^^^^^.

I think I did try to get it to work with Kanthal (my main coil type), and it didn’t like it. It looks like you’ve received all the good answers above. Broken coil, wrap, etc. Another thing I don’t think I saw mentioned was LOOSE-NESS. As the coils heat/cool, heat/cool, they will expand contract, and that can sometimes yield loose coil legs. If the coils get fouled, and carbonized things can sometimes get a little wonky with semi-complex coils.

Sometimesit’s best to switch to a simple coil, re-test, and see if it happens again, and/or rule out the mod, etc.

5 Likes

That would be very iffy if replay would work reliably. I would NEVER consider those SS coils. That outer wrap is really just along for the ride, and its resistance barely rises at all. You want SS as the core wires. However, because you have a 250C (in escribe -mod - safety) by ‘Replay’ you could change that to ‘allow dubious’, or even ‘unlikely’, and try.

6 Likes

That’s why I called you in, my hybrids were made for me by the coil builder who does the coils for Bearded Viking Customs and now his own brand Steam Craft. I assumed the binding was SS but obviously from your knowledge it must be the NI80 is the binding and SS the inner cores which makes sense as the idea when I ordered them was I liked using Replay but prefer the flavour I get from NI80 rather than SS, me bad should of worked that out, it’s obvious once you know.

6 Likes