Coil Resistance Increasing?

Brandon is part to blame for the confusion because I can clearly remember in an interview he did with DJL Vapes about Replay that a coil just needed to include a TC compatible wire in it’s make up which obviously isn’t quite the case as it needs to be the cores.

6 Likes

There is no coil data to modify at all.

That’s as easy as it is.

The mod only looks for a repeatable change in resistance.

NO MATERIAL FILE REQUIRED AT ALL on your mod or the profile. That should be set as Watts

5 Likes

So if you had a good resistance before and it’s jumping around after generally means through the heating and expansion of the wire one of your screws isn’t tight enough to hold the coil would be my guess. It happens a lot with RBAs for Boro devices.

4 Likes

Also didn’t read the post replies and anymore than the title and first sentence of the post.

2 Likes

That would definitely be what I would check first.

4 Likes

Hi All - I’ve been running a premade Ni80 Wotofo Dual Core Fused Clapton coil in my Hadaly clone RDA that started life at 0.28 Ohms resistance, and ran at at about that.

Your talents are unworldly!

4 Likes

Well it always happens that way, you start with say .30 resistance then it jumps up to .5 and you have to pump up the wattage to get anything out of it… At least for RBAs it’s just a matter of snugging up the screws and it’s back down.

2 Likes

Yeah tightening the screws had been recommended but you only read the first sentence, I just thought it was a strange thing to say it’s not I’ll name that tune in one! :rofl:

4 Likes

Good Afternoon All,

@woftam, @Timwis, @SessionDrummer, @Wayneo, @JoelSq - Thank you all for your considered responses - all help is sincerely appreciated.

First of all, on the original subject, you were all correct - a loose screw, re-tightened, solved the issue. I had just re-wicked and re-tightened those screws, so I thought all was good - live and learn, and check again and again and again. Mea culpa.

Following that, on the subject of “hybrid” coils, and just to be sure:

1. I restored the original factory backup file for my Lost Vape Centaurus DNA250C
  2. Installed the most current service pack
  3. Wrapped up a 3.5 mm ID 6 wrap coil using Coilology Tri-Core Fused Clapton SS316L composed of 28*3/38 - came out to 0.32 Ohms
  4. Cut the leads to 5mm and mounted the coil in a new Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo (which I’d never used before).
  5. Loaded the RDA to the Centaurus, wicked, and tested.

Needless to say, Replay was an instant snap - 35 Watts is providing a delicious vape, and the home-made Blueberry Muffin I made that’s been steeping 3 months tastes pretty dang good, if I can say so myself. So much so that I think I’m actually going to post the recipe, which will be a first for me. So the hybrid Vandy Vape coils will be used in Wattage mode only, and I like replay so much that I’ll likely order a larger supply of some plain stainless steel round wire (can’t find the Coilology SS316L fused clapton spools anymore). Going to test out temp control too. Would you folks suggest 24 gauge for Stainless Steel?

Again thanks so much for the assist - truly appreciated.

3 Likes

You can use that same coil for TC. I think you’ll prefer Replay over TC. Replay provides that dry hit protection just like TC, much easier and less fussy.

Edit: Are you in the U.S?

6 Likes

If you prefer the taste of Kanthal or NI80 so still want to try Hybrids don’t let your experience put you off, you just need to make sure the TC wire is the cores, Hybrids work very well.

6 Likes

Out of interest have you switched mate or are you that used to using TC you just stick with it?

4 Likes

Yes @Wayneo - I’m in the US. On wire, I was thinking of placing an order from WireOptim…

Hi again @Timwis - I’m going to be completely honest - my palate probably is not sophisticated enough to pick up those differences. I’m simply trying to perfect a daily vape that can repeat the best flavor I’ve ever had from my old Horizon Falcon M1+ mesh/bamboo coils (stupid great and detailed flavor). I think my next research effort is going to be wrapping some SS coils and slamming them into my rebuildable tanks, and throwing those onto my DNA mods (I have three).

5 Likes

On my B&W DNAs TC for sure, after a tank or two in straight watts if it’s a new mix.
On my color DNAs always Replay, but if I’m using Ti01 I’ll use TC first if it’s a new coil.

Good choice. Wait for a sale and then get a couple spools.

4 Likes

Interesting! I suppose Ti01 isn’t really suitable for a MTL build, I’m guessing too low resistance?

4 Likes

I’ve used it on my BB for sure in either my exocet v1, or my OG Insider at pretty low watts. Low enough that a single 18650 lasted more than a full tank.

4 Likes

I always assumed it would need too many wraps to get the resistance high enough for a small mtl deck and narrow airflow! Always wanted to try flatwire but also assume the same just going by the resistance of the pre-wound ones that are available.

Will get a spool of Ti and give it a whirl!

3 Likes

You already know a build you make, just simulate that at Steam-engine with Ti. Your mod won’t care how low it ohm’s out to.

4 Likes

I wrap my MTL coils using 5 - 6 wraps 26ga 2.5ID which even 6 wraps for Ti comes out at 0.246 which is too low for MTL, not enough airflow to keep cool even for me who does MTL with 0.4ohm which most MTL vapers would consider too low resistance.

But although 29ga is much thinner than I like to use all of a sudden the ohms comes into my wheelhouse 0.425 with 5.5 wraps!

4 Likes

Good Morning @Wayneo and @Timwis - One final question please: I can see that you guys both seem to have a lot of experience with Steam Engine and wire selection, and I have none. I’d like to select some SS316L round wire to use with Replay and Temp. Control modes on my DNA mods. My goal is sub-ohm usage in tanks such as my Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V3, Oxva Arbiter 2, and QP Fatality M25 Remastered, and RDAs such as Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo and Hellvape Drop Dead, using 3mm ID coils.

When I enter the following data, Steam Engine says I need 75 wraps:
Material = SS316 Round
Diameter = 24 Gauge
Setup = Dual Coil
Target Resistance = 1.8 Ohms (This was the default, so I left it alone)
Inner Diameter = 3mm
Leg Length = 5mm

I’m obviously not familiar with Steam Engine - can you guys please share some guidance on selecting the gauge of SS316L that would suit these usages? I believe I’ve noted the following:
24 Gauge SS316L = 1.21 Ohms/Ft
25 Gauge SS316L = 1.50 Ohms/Ft
26 Gauge SS316L = 1.78 Ohms/Ft
24 Gauge Ni80 = 1.64 Ohms/Ft
24 Gauge Kanthal = 2.04 Ohms/Ft

Past resistances I vape at have been between 0.2-0.32 Ohms total? Would 25 or 26 Gauge be a better choice? When I enter 26 gauge to Steam Engine, and select 0.2 Ohms as target resistance, Steam Engine then recommends 5/6 half wrap coils. It seems I may have answered my own question but I would appreciate some guidance and confirmation? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.

4 Likes