Battery Recycling

I’ve been noticing that one of my batteries don’t hold a charge very well anymore. I think it’s time to recycle it. I haven’t had to dispose of any batteries yet so I’m curious how and where everyone recycles those used up cells?

2 Likes

I have a handful in condoms needing to be disposed of, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. The Wal-Marts around have battery recycle stands where they could be dropped off (safely contained, of course. Unless you hate Wal-Mart and their customers))

4 Likes

Did it take you a few months to collect that up? :laughing:

We have battery recycling in supermarkets here in the UK…

IMG_4290

https://sustainability.asda.com/customer

3 Likes

18650 specific battery condoms, And that’s the sort of bin I see in Wal-Marts too.

3 Likes

I never noticed those bins at our local Walmart. I’ll have to keep an eye out for them. Thanks gentlemen!! Do you think wrapping them in electrical tape would be safe to use before Recycling the batteries

2 Likes

I think it would, but I always get a bit paranoid and assume the tape will unstick. I don’t want to waste the condoms and that’s why I haven’t binned them yet actually.

3 Likes

Like real condoms? Or is there actually condoms for battery recycle?

3 Likes

Silicone sleeves. I can’t bear to part with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Color-Silicone-Protective-Battery/dp/B00ZWWNHDS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1530895351&sr=8-9&keywords=18650+case

3 Likes

Ah gotcha… I have old pill bottles I wonder if that would work?

3 Likes

Sweet, thanks for the link. Pretty cheap really.

2 Likes

But I am pretty cheaper. To buy them simply to throw them away doesn’t compute. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I hear ya, it is a good idea tho!!

3 Likes

Honestly though, I would think a ziplock bag would do the job. A little electrical tape around the cell then roll it up in a ziplock with some packing tape for extra peace of mind.

3 Likes

There you go, I like that idea Fizz. I think that’s what I’m going to do.

3 Likes

Me too. Thanks for the thread. I really do need to dispose of then and really hadn’t figured an economical way until we talked it out.

3 Likes

Just thought of this… I’ll use this

Vape mail packaging. Has bubble wrap on the inside.
Then tape it up! Whatcha think?

6 Likes

Damn, you’re cheaper than me!!! Nice one bro.

4 Likes

Keep or toss?

2 Likes

I know the rule of thumb is when in doubt throw it out but it works fine.

2 Likes

For me it’s more cycle life. If it is making contact and the wrap is intact, it stays with me unless it no longer charges like a boss.

3 Likes