Battery Chargers

I guess more batteries will work out better than a mega charger that will likely cost the earth. I just find it a bit odd that all these chargers only charge at a fraction of what the batteries are capable of.

4 Likes

Not really all batteries are capable of different charge rates safely so you almost have to go for the lowest denominator else it would be unsafe!

3 Likes

Yeah I know that but decent chargers account for that automatically don’t they? I’m just going to have to get more batteries. Which mean less budget for more mods/tanks! This rabbit hole…

I’m blaming all you guys tbh! When I joined this forum I had a voopoo drag s and an L200 with a TFV16 on it and 4 18650’s. Now I’ve got…

14x 18650’s
2x 21700’s
Silver Titan PWM mod with SS Titan v2 RDTA
Black Hadron Pro with Black Ragnar
Lost Vape Grus with Gold Plus v2
Vaporesso Target 200 with black Hellvape Hellheim
L200 with rainbow Dead Rabbit v3
SS Plus v2
Blue Supreme v3
Black Vaperz Cloud Valkyrie
SS QP Fatality M25
Blue Metal Wotofo Troll x
I have a Hadron lite and Aromamizer classic on the way for review (more batteries!)
And I’ve just ordered a Gold anniversary edition Ragnar!

And I still want everything!

Also, this doesn’t include the literal fuckton of coils and wires I’ve bought and am still waiting to be delivered!

(I also realize this is nothing compared to what all you guys have got lol. I see me being single in my near future!)

:man_facepalming: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Everything is relative, I didn’t have the sort of amount of gear you have until I had been vaping 4 years!

4 Likes

The higher the rate of charge, the hotter the battery gets. From what I’ve read, heat is not good for longevity of a cell. Also, whether true or not, I never put a freshly charged battery right back into service. My opinion is to have enough of them on hand to allow a relaxed .5-1Amp recharge, and a rest afterward.

6 Likes

Is that bad? I’ve done it a few times as I’ve barely got enough batteries to keep my mods going.

2 Likes

I’m no chemist, Andrew, so I can’t answer that. Allowing a freshly charged Li-Ion battery to cool(for an hour?) before using it in a device just seems to make sense to me. I’m sure there are many opinions about this, but it’s how I do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@Illogik the actual best charging rate is 500ma, sometimes even 250ma. Faster charging can heat the cells, and shorten the life.

5 Likes

My batteries aren’t even warm when they have finished charging?

4 Likes

I definitely need more batteries then. :frowning:

4 Likes

Although this is very definitely true most don’t like leaving charging batteries unattended so such slow charge rate isn’t convenient! Personally I would rather have more speed and lose a few life cycles and overall deterioration in performance over time, I guess it’s getting the balance right for the individuals needs!

3 Likes

I only just recently stopped charging batteries and my hadron pro, next to the bed while sleeping after reading a bit of fearmongering about lipo batteries venting 3 metre wide flames or some shit.

4 Likes

I probably have 20 18650’s and slow charge them all in my Opus. It doesn’t mean you’ll frag you batts fast charging but they get much warmer, and it does shorten their life. Fast is great in a pinch, but over time, just slow charging is the best. I only run a 4 bank charger, but I have soo many I’m never in a hurry.

5 Likes

Well unattended is ALWAYS a risk. I have a aluminum plate under my charger on a wooden dresser. No issues yet.

4 Likes

I won’t leave the flat, be out the room for a lengthy period of time or go to sleep with charging batteries on the go, in a perfect world I would charge them at 0.5A max but it doesn’t work for me!

3 Likes

Just how dodgy are batteries while charging if all these precautions are necessary? I’ve never in my life had any problem with a battery, charging or otherwise.
Don’t mobile phones have lipo batteries in them? I often leave that charging on my bedside table while sleeping.
Surely if they were so dangerous they wouldn’t be on the market?

1 Like

I would imagine having an issue is extremely rare but I just prefer not to tempt fate!

3 Likes

This is what I’d have thought too but something I read somewhere the other day (forgot where), the way they were fearmongering about lipo batteries, you’d think it was like having a hand grenade next to your bed with a badly fitting pin.

3 Likes

Because there is a risk, I wouldn’t leave a mod with in-built battery charging unattended!

4 Likes

Don’t the dna chips have some advanced balance charging gizmos in them though?

2 Likes