Battery Chargers

Why is it that chargers (the ones I’ve seen at least) only charge at max capacity (2A) when there’s a single battery in there? Surely they can make them so all 2/4/8 slots can charge at 2A at once?

Are there chargers available that can do this?

3 Likes

Most decent ones charge faster than 2A max, most standard ones these days will charge 2 bats at 2A or all 4 slots at 1A each but faster chargers are available, I am talking about 4 bay, never had or used an 8 bay! A lot depends on the power sauce you are using! One of mine (an xtar) only came with a USB cable so of course using with the computer it’s super slow but with my quick charge mains adaptor I can have 4 18650’s charged within a couple hours!

3 Likes

Both my chargers are nitecore. I have a i2 and i4, both only charge at 2A when there’s a single battery but only 1A when there’s more than 1 battery.

I’m guessing chargers that are capable of charging 4 batteries at 2A all at once costs shitloads of ££?

2 Likes

Actually, now I check, the i4 only charges at 1.5a with 1 battery fitted.

2 Likes

and the i2 only 1a so I guess .5 with all 4 fitted. wtf I need better chargers.

2 Likes

With USB ones I think you are limited but to 3A, that might be where you got the 2A max from because before type C and quickcharge these would of been 2A max but there are faster ones that come with mains plug! Exactly what the specs are of the 2 4 bay I am using i am not sure but just doing the math of how long it takes 4 batteries to charge they are both more than 2A max, one is USB quickcharge (should be 3A) but that will be 2A max for one bay and the other is a mains plug and seems to be slightly faster! I use to have a Nitecore i2 which was super reliable but slow as f**k, but that was ages ago and it has had newer versions of it!

3 Likes

I have the newer version of both. Just read the data sheet on the molicel p26a and they can be charged at 2.6a standard and 6a max.

3 Likes

I think @whthek Brian got a new charger maybe that has decent specs!

3 Likes

Yeah saw that post. Not sure of the spec though.

3 Likes

Never heard of the make but @woftam gave it a big thumbs up so must be decent!

3 Likes

I believe it was this one.

8x 1a

4 Likes

There you go a total of 8A non too shabby!

4 Likes

Yeah but it still only charges each battery at 1a if I’m reading that correctly.

3 Likes

The molicel P42a can be charged at 4.2a lol

3 Likes

Don’t know, mine will charge 1 batt at 2A!

3 Likes

Yeah but what use is that? Surely there are chargers out there that can charge like 4 batteries at 2a or more all at once?

3 Likes

Don’t know, I have enough batteries and vape efficiently so batteries last long between charge so my chargers are more than what I need!

4 Likes

I guess if you have loads of batteries then yeah, speed wouldn’t be such a problem. I currently have 8 for my titan mod so I use 4 while charging 4. I have 2 other dual 18650 mods which both have batteries in them but I only have 2 spare ones to charge for when one runs out. Now I have 2x 21700’s for this grus which takes 1 so I can charge 1 while using 1 but I’ll be getting a hadron lite for review soon which also takes 1 so I’m kinda needing a faster charger.
Or obviously more batteries.

3 Likes

Your problem might well be down to lack of batteries rather than charge rate which is only an issue because of the amount of batteries you have! I have batteries in mods, batteries charged ready to go and batteries charging, that’s how it’s done, in the long run it doesn’t cost anymore in batteries because each battery only lasts so many charge cycles!

5 Likes

Sorry typed last message same time as you so you have come to that conclusion!

4 Likes