Are all VG’s and PG’s equal

Pretty much as the title says… I just dripped some straight vg to clear my coil for a lazy mans flavour change :grimacing:
Now I’m sitting wondering are all vg/pg’s equal from company to company?
And, can or do different brands pull a recipe away from its creators profile? :thinking:

10 Likes

PG I have never noticed a difference (there is however some PG that is made from VG)

VG is an entirely different matter although they are all the same chemically their physical properties are a little different VG can be made from a bunch of different thing the most popular is soy, rapeseed and palm (or a combination there of). Personally I use Palm as it is a little thicker and a little sweeter not enough to change a recipe but enough to notice the difference when vaping it.

You can see the difference in a white bottle (harder to see in other bottles) but Soy and rapeseed derived VG has a natural pale green tint, instead of the pale blue tint that palm-derived VG has. The effect is more visible in cold conditions due to the higher viscosity.

10 Likes

@Spyce some will argue that

is the largest supplier of palm based VG. Re-bottled, re-sold, etc. I’ve had some varying differences between purchases myself, mostly with VG and not any real differences in PG. I’m hooked on Palm VG and have shunned ALL other variants of it. I’ve never purchased discount PG/VG from Amazon, and have focused more on quality than cost, and glad I did.

Probably the BEST of the BEST VG I’ve ever had was from

and their claim of 0.03%-0.05% water seemed about COMPLETELY true and accurate. It was some of the thickest, cleanest, and just ever so sweet VG I have ever used.

7 Likes

Thanks @woftam and @SessionDrummer
some good info to chew over :+1:t2:
I thought there might be some difference in source or production.

I’ve so far only bought from makemyvape which was my first starter kit ( bit expensive and not impressed with their concentrates but I digress…)
And now Chefs which I’m assuming are good quality going by their reputation. And I would NEVER be tempted by cheap Amazon offerings.

Looks like I’m going down a VG rabbit hole next… where does it stop ??? :joy:

6 Likes

Great question @Spyce, I wouldn’t say I’m picky but it made me stop and think :thinking:
I’ve been getting my VG / PG exclusively from River Supply lately and I had to go check what there PG is derived from,

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a plant-based viscous fluid derived from
plant oils, typically palm, soy or coconut oil. River Supply Co. is the best place to source your VG supply. We only stock Vegetable Glycerin that is palm derived, 99.7% pure, USP certified and kosher.

Looks like it’s palm (and kosher), I feel much better now :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

and you want to make sure. no matter where you shop… that it is USP!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Cheers @Rocky02852 :+1:t2:obviously being in the uk I have to shop around here, but at least now I know what to check for and what’s the better product and why.

I’m never afraid to ask… got taught as a kid “there’s no stupid questions just stupid answers”
And if it’s not got a thread I’ll start one cause it might just help someone else as-well :smiley::v:t2:

9 Likes

I’m in the U.K. too mate and normally get my litre bottles of VG and PG from either Vapable or Rainbow Vapes as I find them to be excellent quality and consistent plus if you spend over a tenner you will get free shipping. Recently they were both sold out of VG and I remember hearing good reports about a company called Lubrisolve and noticed that apart from their own website they also sold some of their wares on eBay of all places with free shipping so after reading all of the positive reviews I took a punt and ordered 1litre of their USP grade VG and I must say that it is also extremely good quality. I have posted a link in case you are interested.
I too remember getting my first DIY starter kit from Make My Vape and wasn’t impressed, they are expensive and are very limited on brands but instead sell obscure brand names like Pope and Brewers etc which I had never even heard of.

Vegetable Glycerine EP/USP Grade

Our vegetable glycerine is a clear, colourless and odourless, hygroscopic, viscous liquid with a purity of 99.5% minimum. It is a pure and natural allergen free product, derived from a variety of natural sources. It is completely biodegradable and therefore creates minimal environmental impact. Our vegetable glycerine has not been tested on animals.

Our vegetable glycerine is also produced without the use of raw materials originating from the Jatropha plant or its oils - the Jatropha plant is classified as a noxious weed in some countries. The oil produced from the Jatropha plant contains carcinogenic substances and presents a significant human and animal health risk.

Synonyms
Glycerin, Glycerine, Glycerol, 1,2,3 propane triol, Trihydroxy propane.

Manufactured Refinery Specifications

• European Pharmacopoeia (EP) Specification.

• United States Pharmacopoeia (USP) Specification.

• Halal and Kosher approved.

Typical Applications

• Key component in electronic cigarette production.

• Moisturiser in soap production and other personal hygiene products.

• Ingredient in herbal remedies and homeopathic applications.

• An excellent ingredient for fishing bait.

• Used in Nurseries/Schools – When added to soapy water it helps to produce great big bubbles.

• As a base for certain antifreeze preparations.I

7 Likes

While I agree it should be USP grade VG as soon as you open it outside a clean room it is no longer USP grade.

6 Likes

Cheers @JimmyLee thats great info I will chase that up when I restock. As usual I ask a question here and someone’s already done the hard work for me :joy::+1:t2:

:laughing: exactly and they’re in literally no vap calcs nor can I add to my stash (not that I really want too) another obscure one is The flavour concentrate company .
My starter kit was around £45 I had about zero knowledge so thought what a good deal. If I’d spent that at chefs I’d have got so much more and better flavours and no syringes :rofl:

5 Likes

Yup, also a UK vaper here, and I buy direct from lubrisolve (they have both an amazon shop and an ebay shop as well as their website). I’ve never had an issue and in the year or so I’ve been buying it, it always seems the same. I did buy a few bottles of pre-mixed stuff for a couple of bottleshots I had from Darkstar, and that stuff was also quite sweet tasting.

6 Likes

Oh shit now I’m out of vg cause I’ve been running round the garden all day with a soapy hula hoop again :laughing:

7 Likes

Pix, dang it @Spyce or I will think you are just a tease with your soapy bubbles!! :slight_smile: :rofl:

6 Likes

I just looked at Lubrisolve because Rainbow Vapes only ships in the UK and Darkstar only has a creditcard payment option that is useless to me.
I send them a mail to ask if they have something else like a bank payment or something.
Hopefully they do :pray:

Had a look at Lubrisolve and the prices were higher than at Darkstar, which I don’t mind that much but then they ended up charging me 33 pounds for shipping to the Netherlands :scream:

I ended up cancelling the order.
Most likely I will have to pay custom fees too cause of Brexit… :scream: again.

Looks like I have to find another source for my VG/PG elsewhere in Europe :frowning_face:

I’m glad you started this topic @Spyce.
I haven’t run out yet so I have some time to start looking around.
Without you… I’m afraid I would’ve found out too late.

Thank you :heavy_heart_exclamation:

7 Likes

I’ve been called a lot worse :smiley: soooooorry no pics I had my hands full :face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy:
There’s a great idea…that’s content right there for if I get an onlyfans :laughing::laughing::laughing:

5 Likes

@Jose I know Sobucky do PG/VG not sure if they do non b2b for them tho
https://b2b.sobucky.com/14582.html

5 Likes

That really made this worthwhile to me. That’s great to have helped ! Thank you :blush:

I didn’t think this little question would gain this much information!
I think maybe vg & pg takes a back seat over flavours and nic. It’s cheap in a big bottle so gets taken for granted, yet it’s just as if not the most important thing we need. :smiley::+1:t2:

6 Likes

Thanks bro, I just looked. I have to ask them for the price and I see no option for adding anything to my cart when I click on the item :confused:
I’ll wait for their reply.

I just saw in the email that their sales department does some kind of verification before you get to use the site. I’ll have to practise some patience :sweat_smile:

Could you explain what that is? I’m a little dim today.

Life’s full of surprises :laughing:

No, thank you :grin:

5 Likes

Business to Business - I am not sure if they allow retail VG sales or not.

3 Likes

Probably not. If their sales department is checking my credentials they are probably assuming I’m a business.

Had a mail back, wholesale only :frowning_face:
The search continues.

3 Likes