Zirconium Wire Anyone?

6 Likes

Update:

Had absolutely zero issues now after 5 days, so stable in temp control it’s as simple as using power mode and I am not even using the more user friendly Replay feature. It has such a clean flavour, if you vape using Kanthal or Nichrome and then switched to Titanium or Zirconium you would find out that those wires give quite a taste with most not realising I am also in the group of people who although I find SS316l a cleaner flavour than Kanthal or Nichrome I detect a slight metallic taste which depending on the juice can be annoying. Zirconium however is giving nothing in the way of taste so is just increasing the flavour quality of my juice.

Don’t know what else at the moment I can report apart from the condition of my wick and coil is top notch as if the build is fresh which as my Titanium builds are still going strong doesn’t surprise me, remind me again, what’s a re-wick?

6 Likes

Tim, what about actually creating your coils. Compared to NIchrome, do you find the material stiffer/softer, do your coils become springier or deform easier? I know with Titanium I always check the screws with each rewick as I’ve had them slightly loosen over time with some attys.

5 Likes

Only time will tell when I actually need to re-wick but will be sure to let you know, no issues with the initial wrapping, fitting of the coil or wicking! It is quite springy, luckily I wanted a spaced coil but good luck managing to do contact coils, the thicker gauge might be less springy I got the thickest they had in stock which is 27ga.

5 Likes

After 9 days of vaping it’s still purring with zero drop off in flavour so I ran the tank down until the cotton was bone dry (device giving no power) to check the state of my build and I must say so impressed with my builds longevity!

IMG_4500

5 Likes

Never used it before, might be worth checking out.

4 Likes

After 15 days still stable in TC, no drop off in flavour that I can tell and wick and coil still in excellent condition.

I have decided although it almost definitely will not need one I am going to attempt a re-wick at the 3 week stage just to see how it goes!

5 Likes

Three weeks is here so as promised it’s re-wick time. Because I had no issues wrapping, installing and wicking the coil originally and thanks to @Intuthu Kagesi I had prior warning about the wire’s malleability I was confident re-wicking should be straight forward with a bit of care!
Because the Zirconium has been stable in temp control there was no weakening of the cotton in the centre and it was a 3.0ID shoelace used with a 3.0ID coil so needed quite some tugging to pull out, thankfully the worry that the malleability of the wire would cause deforming of the coil turned out to be inaccurate as the wraps moved while pulling the cotton out but no more than with any other MTL coil I have re-wicked and I tend to use 26ga the Zirconium is 27ga, the wraps then just reshaped to their original shape, zero issues.
I then warmed the coil while in TC, removed from the mod and cleaned under running hot water with a toothbrush, from how the coil behaved when removing the cotton I now knew I didn’t need to be careful at all so gave it a good scrub although the coil was still in very good condition.
Re-wicking was as straightforward as the original wicking with again because I was using a 3mm shoelace it was a quite tight fit so yes the wraps moved as the cotton was pulled through (but then went back to original position) but no more than with any other MTL coil and the coil maintained it’s form, no problem, in fact a total success!!!
Back to some quality vaping!

7 Likes

I have been spending the last 2 weeks vaping similar Zirconium (the one in this thread) and Titanium (the build originally done before my Zirconium build with about the same vape time and also re-wicked) builds to compare side by side!

One thing for sure is for the foreseeable future Titanium and Zirconium will be my go to wires, I also tried SS430 but much prefer the previous wires mentioned.

Both are perfectly easy to work with in regard wrapping a coil and tonight re-wicked both for a second time with zero issues despite me using 28ga titanium and 27ga Zirconium which are quite thin wires.

Both have been 100% stable in TC for the entire duration and the resistance of the wires and behaviour are so very similar, when it comes to the quality of vape and flavour I really can’t separate them although over a longer period of time when the different wires are tried in different atomizers then maybe one will slightly distinguish itself, time will tell!

As it stands I have the two neck and neck with Titanium having the advantage of being more available and therefore also much more advice given on blogs, forum threads etc while Zirconium in theory has the advantage of being the healthier option although as both wires are used by controlling temperature then really it makes little if no difference!

3 Likes

Just to point out although mine wasn’t, some Titanium so I expect some Zirconium can be springy, I suppose it will be down to the annealing process and quality of the wire. My Zirconium was from Zivipf and my Titanium from Zivipf although I haven’t yet used it is also not springy the samples of Titanium sent by @Wayneo which I have used I believe are manufactured by Temco and very easy to work with!

3 Likes

I didn’t read all of the replies but in case it wasn’t said: zirconium is great for vaping because it’s chemically inert like most glass, but unlike glass, it’s way stronger (it’s literally called ceramic steel) so it’s much less likely to break. I’m not familiar with zirconium wire specifically but that’s about the gist of it so you can see where the inert aspect combined with the strength of the material could be appealing because it shouldn’t contaminate the vapour or its flavour.

5 Likes

I have the same thread going on another forum so I hope you don’t mind mate, I added your informative post there!

3 Likes

Quick question: has anyone here ever tried Pirate Heating Wire for coil building? I’m in a bit of a bind down here in South Africa – can’t seem to get my hands on any decent quality wire anymore. Bloody pain in the arse!

So, I’m thinking of ordering some wire from China, and Pirate Heating Wire caught my eye. But before I pull the trigger, I wanna hear from you lot. What’s the verdict on this stuff? Any of you given it a crack? How’s it hold up compared to the good ol’ reliable wires like Kidney Puncher that we used to get?

2 Likes

I have seen it on many Chinese sites including Ali but have never heard anyone mention they have tried it, I tried googling to see if there is any discussion about it on any forum or reddit etc but drew a blank!

3 Likes

And that’s why I came here. I couldn’t find any reviews other than what is on the reseller sites.

1 Like

It can be frustrating to try and get what seems to be simple information as no doubt countless people have used the stuff! The worse thing is more than one person would of read your post who have tried it but unfortunately to every member on a vaping forum on average there are 20 who are not members taking advantage of reading up information while choosing not to contribute information themselves, the weird thing is the more popular vaping has become the less active members there are on forums!

3 Likes