YiHi SX Mini G2 wifi connection problems

@Illogik let me know how you do connecting to WIFI, especially with a complex p/w.

4 Likes

Sorted it in the end, brute force always works :joy:. Went through the steps, scanned the first qr code and the link kept showing as an “unsecure link” and would stop loading. Then it would ask to switch to wifi & the mod would drop the connection. Password for wifi isn’t coomplex, no symbols etc. Just the constant “unsecure link” and the mod changing it’s ip from ...1 to ...2 . As big a faff as trying to BT into the G Class, worked once & refused to connect ever again :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

I could not get it to hook to any of my networks, but created a numeric only password guest network.

4 Likes

Just put a big hammer on the desk, worked for me. :joy: Personally think the first linking should be done via USB C, setting the wifi up there then a link to SX-Panel. I like things simple :grin:. Not looking forward to the next firmware update as you have to go through the qr scanning stuff again before you can use the mod, apparently :thinking:

5 Likes

Worked first time for me SD. Currently downloading updates on it.

2 Likes

At what point during the connection process are you getting stuck @SessionDrummer?

2 Likes

Fully updated.

2 Likes

What phone are you using ?
and when it says non secure connection, it should give you the option to proceed.

once setup is completed, there is no hassle for the next time you connect.

4 Likes

It would not connect to to any network with a complex password, had to enable a temp guest network, with a simple numeric password. All other attempts failed, across my 3 different networks.

2 Likes

Thats strange. I didn’t change the pw but its not that complex, just caps, lower case and numbers, and it works fine.

Maybe @David_SXmini can shed some light on this for you.

Edit, didn’t notice David already posted above, never mind!

2 Likes

OnePlus 9Pro on Android 12.
It said Unsecure connection after scanning the first QR code, the IP address 192.168.4.1. It did ask to drop the G2 connection as no internet access but each time the browser stalled. Took something like half a dozen attempts before I could actually switch to a connection. Tried the phone on 5G and to wireless router.
Is there a security reason one has to scan the green bordered QR code every time you want to go wireless. That to me personally is an unwanted faff, going into the mods menu to switch on wifi and rescan just get a web link to SX Panel. I’d get it if it was to open an app on the phone.
The device itself is great, a step up from the G Class in all areas, even navigation is easier.

2 Likes

@nwhornet despite my issues connecting to my WIFI networks with complex passwords, I actually DO like the fact, that it was NOT using an “app”, as that way, you are no longer beholden to whomever decides what apps ARE or are NOT allowed to be on the app store.

I may re-test connecting across all my networks to see if the same issue exists. During my review, the problem was easily fixed (for me) by just having a guest network with only numbers for the password, and it connected right away. I was able to do a direct A/B/C/D comparison between the networks.

3 Likes

Nwhornet, In fact, G2 needs to connect to the SXpanel as well in order to download data into it. your phone opening SXpanel is only a way to control the dashboard.

The green QR contains your device ID and special token. so when you send something with your phone using SXpanel, it will reach YOUR G2, and not a random G2 in the world :slight_smile:

It could be easier if we had an app on the phone to control G2. but we are living in darker times, vaping apps are “Persona non grata” on app stores. Bluetooth requires an app.

I hate to hijack this thread for support, so we better take it private so I can help you with support whenever you need it.

But again, Wifi setup is only done once, and after that, it’s easy to operate the SXpanel.
so it is far from a deal-breaker I hope :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@David_SXmini Moved these relevant posts to their own topic, will be good to have this info easily accessible in the public space

5 Likes

VERY agreed @David_SXmini, very agreed.

4 Likes

Oh no @David_SXmini hijack away !!!
I think it’s beyond GREAT, and something you just DON’T see MFG’s doing these days. I very much appreciate your involvement, and help.

6 Likes

Your assistance has been very much appreciated @David_SXmini thank you.
Fully understand the no app approach. Being an old git I like things simple :grin: but know that’s not always the case. Frustration set in as I couldn’t get past the first step initially but once it behaved itself logging in wasn’t an issue and set up went fine.
Probably being spoilt all these years with pnp set ups. Plug it in, make changes, unplug & vape :joy:

6 Likes