Working out coil OHMs

How do i figure out the Ohms if say i had 2-.8ohn coils for a Dual coil atty?I always thought 2-8s would be .16ohms but apparently its more like .04ohms? ,"xz,

I have always used single coil attys and have an Arbitor 2 coming n was hoping someone could explain this a bit to me…then theres single wire vs aliens,fraliens,fused claptons n stapled etc.Is that why most use 2.5mm mtl coils in dual coil setups so the ohm reading would be around .2ohm ,.18, .15Ohm etc?Thanks to whoever can explain this in lamemens terms. :laughing: Singles i have no issues,mesh,subohms,pod coils etc

3 Likes

Not an expert myself but as far as I know it depends whether you’re using a series deck or a parallel deck. From what I can tell, most attys will use a parallel deck, which basically halves the resistance of the coils in a dual coil setup so for example, a pair of 0.30ohm coils would end up somewhere around 0.15ohms with a completed build. The series type deck does the opposite. If you put the same pair of 0.30ohm coils in there, the final resistance would be close to 0.60ohms. As far as I know, the Arbiter 2 comes with a parallel deck so just half the resistance of any coil you plan to use and that’s roughly what ohms you will end up at when your build is done.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

Thanks bud that makes total sense so parallel if i put 2- .6ohm coils should come in around .3ohm together? But a series deck would be like .12ohms right? Thnx by the way…i never know what coils to buy when their sold as a set from like coil clout.They have so many crazy coils but when i read the ohms incase i just wanna use one,i never got what i should be aiming for lol.Plus theres a lot of 2.5 mm mtl mass metal coils.Even my builder guy i use couldnt understand why i wanted a 3mm Alien at .2ohms but now that he bought one of those AIO’s he gets it :laughing: now his price list is rearranged anx is getting a lot more requests for single coil attys and Aio coil…i couldnt believe i had to tell him whats what cause hes a good coil maker but i guess he was so used to making “sets” for old mechs,Rda,and dual coil Rta’s etc .Thnx man let me know if my math was about right(2-6ohm should be about .3 as a single on a parralel) :call_me_hand::face_with_monocle: Tnx again bro

3 Likes

Cleaned up the title :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds like you got it nailed down now! I guess its just a miss-placed decimal where you said 2x 0.6ohm coils would be 0.12ohms in series? It would be 1.20ohms or thereabouts.

If you’re using a regulated mod, the resistance of your coils really doesn’t matter all that much. As long as the total resistance is above the mods minimum (usually 0.10ohms) then you’ll be fine with whatever. So basically the lowest resistance coils you want to be getting for your arbiter 2 is around 0.20ohms as they will usually end up at something like 0.11-0.13ohms in my experience.

You only need to worry about your coil resistance if your using a mech mod and want to keep your face in 1 piece lol. For that reason alone I’d never touch a mech. Just not worth the risk when regulated mods are so good, especially mods with a DNA board.

4 Likes

I see but 1.2 ohms with a pnp coil can only handle about 10-12 watts unless they go by a diff ohms law whjch throws me off a lil too ?!

3 Likes

I’m talking exclusively about DIY coils mate or pre-made coils. Not the commercial ones you get for pods or sub-ohm tanks.

3 Likes

Ahh ok i see…those are a bit easier to figure out lol

My builder buddy sent me these for me Gear Rta n the thinner .6ohms for my Rba section for my Aegis boost for testing Diy recipies…it does work well for that for my Gfs novo pods and my Rta’s(a good happy medium) if the pasted pic works lol

4 Likes

They look good and should be fine for your Arbiter 2. The pics are fine too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Mookeye @Illogik was right about halving, BUT, there’s a catch.

Series resistors are additive, and parallel resistors are subtractive.

Here’s why. Look at the diagram on the left, in Series, ALL of the current is forced through ONE path. On the right in Parallel current can take MULTIPLE paths.

As long as both of your resistors (coils) are the exact same resistance, then yes, you can HALVE the value of one, for an approx. net total resistance. If the values are DIFFERENT however, then things change.

5 Likes

Thank you ,Very Helpful as im just beginning to add a couple Dual coil attys to my collection.I only have 2 box mods but 4 single 21700s plus as a Diyer of 8-10 mg salt nic 70/30 45-65 watts ive been mainly using single coil n mesh atomizers etc i havent needed to push 2 coils and slower ramp up times but im sliding dwn to 6mg soon and figured id better educate myself with duals plus i got steal on an Arbitor 2 lol…So im grabbing a couple more too like one of Bogans models Vandy vape n few other nice ones ive been eyeing up n watching reviewa on that ranked in top 5 of 2020-21-22 etc by Dueces Jack,Mikes vapes,Wendy Grimm etc :call_me_hand::grin:

5 Likes

You tube battery mooch watch all his vids and you’ll be well sorted that’s how I got me head round it

6 Likes

Ok Thanks Bud :ok_hand::call_me_hand:

4 Likes