Wonder Flavors General Discussion

Hello, just wanted to start an unofficial WF discussion. Since I obligated myself to full notes since I basically got all of their SC’s at one time, I will eventually add them in the official notes section. But for now, I wanted to have a casual conversation with you guys, since a lot of you have tried a lot of these.

Also, continuing in the Sous Vide 101 thread is not really helpful for either topic.

Anyway, first one I wanted to discuss is Candy Stick Candy. For the Yanks, these are known in life as the candy cigarettes we used to get in our Easter baskets, that I loved. So this was one of the first ones I found interest in with the sample box.

Initial impressions at 2%… I like it but it is extremely weak. It smells exactly like them. I got a little on my tongue and the liquid tastes exactly like them. But the vape is weak. I will try this one above the 4% recommendation because I can’t fathom it coming alive at 4. But it’s one I have hopes for after testing. It is, at least, true to the profile.

8 Likes

Another one I wanted to have as a single mixer is Pumpkin Candy. I don’t know why they didn’t call it Candy Corn, since the mellocreme pumpkins are pretty much the same thing. Anyway, this one is really disappointing (so far). It reminds me of TFA Brown Sugar, and/or a few Moon Sugar variants I have tried over the years. Bummed.

3 Likes

And meant to mention… the wife really liked Cola Gummy Candy a lot. Said it was pretty spot on per the description, but again a bit too weak. So that one may work as a single eventually too.

5 Likes

@Sprkslfly, I am responding here so we can take this up in this thread.

I agree with you. But really was blind with WF going in, and trying to knock out 102 testers with varying % per seemed (seems) like n ugly challenge.

4 Likes

Good point about the muting thoughts. The shame is that the manufacturers put a blanket range on % suggested, and it can be wildly wrong. Amazing in my feeble mind to think that a weak 2% may actually be far too strong. But a valid thought for sure.

*(And the requisite “I hate you, testing” inserted here)

4 Likes

I’ve been in and manually updated the Wonder Flavours to include the (SC) variant

7 Likes

I understand why you say you can’t see them coming alive at 4%, but look at it this way; if your initial tests are at 2% then bumping them to 4% is literally doubling the amount of flavor in your mix, and 3% would be 50% more flavor.

I really like sc flavors because you don’t have to use much, but it also makes them difficult cause sometimes an extra .1% could be too much. Flavorah rich cinnamon is a great example, where one drop in 20ml is too much but one drop in 30ml is just right lol. I’m really hoping my brother gets his duns# soon so I can help you out with the testing, the more the merrier lol.

7 Likes

Your input will be (hell, already is) very welcome.

7 Likes

A small excerpt from a conversation I had with Frank about WF just before xmas

Hopefully there is something in the pipeline along these lines but who knows

8 Likes

He didn’t specify for any specific flavours.
A friend of mine is working through them slowly here are his notes so far

If i can dig up Marybeth’s videos and link them here I will

EDIT: they are mixed in with these videos
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23ThePlunge

7 Likes

Yes, and that’s the path I will have to take here as well. I’d hoped I would find a few gems (maybe irrationally hoped even) and maybe I still will. That candy cigarette is one… Yes I can see it would be a nice background illumination for a candy recipe, but I would really like to see it as a successful standalone since that is specifically a profile I would love in the rotation.

5 Likes

Did some adjustments yesterday in new batches, and added a few new ones. Candy stick came more alive at 6% but is right at the limit. Any more would probably be chemically. Will try 4.5% next time. Showing promise.

Peanut Brittle is actually really good at 5%. More later when I’m at the laptop.

6 Likes

All of the second phase of WF testing was done at a minimum of double the % of the first test. Some I exceeded that even, going above the manufacturer’s rating by a decent bit. None of them so far have shown ‘muting’. Some have probably exceeded the intended profile, to the point of a wee bit chemically. Sour Worm Candy is one that I believe 6% is too far. It is a rather sour, but not pleasantly sour vape now. Sour more like acidy sour rather than candy fun sour.

Carrot Cake, Candy Stick Candy, Cola Gummy Candy, Dweeb Candy, Banana Candy and Chews Candy off the top of my head are all pretty damn vapable at 6%. I haven’t tried Nanaimo Bar v2 yet, mixed that at 5% as well. Oh, S’mores Cupcakes I did at 5% and it’s a good one. May not tweak it further.

I suppose I am a bit like @anon96069639. I really like intense flavor. The tests I made tasted like the profile intended, they were just too weak for my liking. And of course these are all being tested as standalone juices. Recipe creation is for another day.

6 Likes

I about fell of the toilet when I read that! #vooping

I’m not super experienced like some of the masters here…

5 Likes

Just a thought… But adding the atty, coil used, and power that you’re testing with might be a useful addition (both for your own records, as well as the general public) from the standpoint of seeing how results might vary across platforms and heat levels. :wink:

(Just remembering how some flavors need lower heat, others need higher heat, and also how atties can play a role in “what flavor shines” [or gets ‘the spotlight’] in a mix.)

Of course, all contributions are appreciated (regardless)! :wink:

6 Likes

OK, glad you mentioned this. I’m one of the ones who really does not notice a difference in flavor based on gear and power. This has been true my whole vaping life. I’ve read a lot that people can detect different subtleties/flavors/nuances when using different setups, for instance maybe someone says ‘I start to taste banana up around 80w’ or ’ the creams are more dominant’, and shit like that. Part of me thinks some people are talking out their ass to look smart-like. But for me, the only thing I have ever been able to detect is the intensity of a flavor; the actual flavor remains the same across all gear and power settings. I guess I’m weird. Anyway-

I have tried these on three different setups.

Iron Maiden RDTA: Dual spaced SS316L, 26g, 6 wraps each, 3.5MM ID, .3 or so Ohms, 46w.

13 Heavens/9 Hells RDA and Dead Rabbit original RDA: Single, spaced SS316L, 26g, 6 wraps, 3.5MM ID, Ohms .6-ish, 26w.

The RDA’s are a more intense flavor, but it is unchanged between all of the gear as far as the actual flavor is concerned. Not helpful, sorry.

4 Likes

Which brings me to a request… can you tell me how I can get this to work? You, and others, seem so confident that some or all flavors respond differently at different wattages, but I have never been able to pull that trick off. I always just get the same old flavor (which is fine, actually). I suppose it is possible that my taste buds are fried like that one lone fry in the McDonald’s grease that fell out of the basket and languished for days at the bottom of the fryer. Or it is possible I am just unsophisticated when it comes to the subtleties and nuances of vape juices, or it is possible I am too stupid to notice. But I can’t ever get different notes to emerge in different setups or powers.

3 Likes

Probably a topic that could be a stand-alone, if someone wants to make one. Lazy ass doesn’t want to right now.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Flavor Perception in Varying Wattages

Can’t wait!!

6 Likes