What's playing in your head?

Ok. You gotta splain that one to me :wink:

3 Likes

Wow, @WickedFog, the shit thatā€™s on the internet that you never knew existed. As it turns out, I canā€™t play spoons for shit, but WOW. I actually watched a few more of her videos, and she seems truly genuine.

7 Likes

Means AC/DC

4 Likes

Yeah, sheā€™s the OH spooner.

I got that part :wink:

Derrā€¦ in aussie.

5 Likes

I did spend summers out in Renick, WV and DID me a few local musicians, that were QUITE a bit different than I was used to living in DC at the time. Few spooners, but they kept their spooning secrets close to the vest, and never offered up any tips.

4 Likes

Yeah, lots of music folk down through the Virginias. I have seen some amazing street performers all throughout the Smokies.

3 Likes

Indeed! I watched the no teeth video and was going to share it, then I saw you already did. So I had never seen the video of her playing spoons, and to be honest, as enjoyable as that was to watch I simply couldnā€™t take my eyes off of her. Sheā€™s ā€œinto itā€ when she plays, and thatā€™s as enjoyable to witness as the music to hear. But thenā€¦

ā€¦her no teeth video was a mix of testimonial and encouragement. What a wonderfully upbeat person. That was a great end to an otherwise so-so day.

4 Likes

I have been watching her vids for awhile now. I know what you mean. She really loves playing. And her timing is spot on. Cool chick, thats for sure. And yeah, when you hear her tell it like it is, itā€™s kinda unexpected.

4 Likes

Before reading, scroll down and hit play on the video. Read to the music

This has me wondering, soooo this is technically ā€œPlaying in my Headā€.

There used to be a local band ā€˜round here called ā€œThe Atomic Farmboysā€. Not the posers that stole their name when you do a YT search by the way. And yeah, they were that damn good. The real Farmboys earned and deserved that name. Letā€™s put it thisaway - When Great White came to Terre Haute - they used The Atomic Farmboysā€™ music equipment.

When The Atomic Farmboys did a version of Stranglehold, you realize afterwards that they took it so close to being better than the OG, you almost wanted to slap yourself silly. But it seemed they intentionally pulled back juuust enough to respect the OG, but only in some ways. Because they added their own unique twists and turns that made it better. Slap me!

They looked the part. They acted the part. They spoke the part. And they damn sure sang the part of a professional band on tour.

Oh yeah. That reminds me of when Jesse James Dupree brought Jackyl here and blocked off THE BUSIEST STREET IN TOWN ON FRIDAY NIGHT.

The ā€œBashā€, as it was once called. The local cruise strip. Where all the hot rods, boom boxes on wheels, and the cars most people only thought were the fastest cars in town, hung out. They closed THAT street!!! They did so with a semi trailer that transformed into the coolest street stage where they put on the best damn free concert these eyes have ever seen.

Jesse brought out a chainsaw and carved up the traditional bar stool and played thisā€¦
https://youtu.be/A52p9jc-gOo

People around Terre Haute sometimes make jokes about being from Terre Haute. I know my friends and I did. But deep down, we loved what most people didnā€™t see. Older and wiser me looks back and saysā€¦ holy shit. We had some great times back then and shit.

You guys have shit like that where you grew up and shit? Cause I know itā€™s in your heads now! :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thinking:

And shit.

3 Likes

Yeps I know Abbyā€¦ she isnā€™t but 45 min from my house, up in Ashvilleā€¦
She comes down to play at some of the music stops hereā€¦ always a hoot!

Not sure if you hearā€¦ Spinnin Jenny is the place to be on the weekends /precovid

I think she is moving back home, last time I heardā€¦ but she is still here for a bit.

I have a living legend here tooā€¦ King of the blueā€™sā€¦ Mac Arnold and his plate full of Bluesā€¦

This is a must see. :smiley: This is the Spinnin Jenny spot.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I actually get a tear in my eye every time I watch Stevie play. I know we have lost a ton of great musicians in the past, but if I could bring back just oneā€¦ itā€™d be SRV.

4 Likes

How cool is that?

3 Likes

Normally my son and I hit the mini concertsā€¦ this year has just been so wacked!!!

3 Likes

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Extremely rural. One of those everybody knows everybody communities (canā€™t say town. there werenā€™t no dang town) and I cut my musical teeth on Mountain Music. More specifically, Bluegrass and Bluegrass Gospel. My first experience was at a distant relativesā€™ house. Well, better call that a shack. Mom and dad and 6 kids in a 3 bedroom shack. But there was so much love within those 4 walls. I was taught to play Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Fox on The Run, Rocky Top and many others from the time I was about 10 through my high school years. FYI - Bluegrass is a lot more complicated than most people think. Of course having never learned to read music, I canā€™t really speak intelligently about that, only that yeah, once I learned it my little fingers could fly!! :slight_smile:

Every year there was a ā€œlocalā€ Bluegrass Festival, the Old Fiddlersā€™ Convention which was canceled this year, and if Iā€™m not mistaken, is the first time itā€™s not been held in 85 years. Oh let me tell you, I gained plenty of knowledge attending those redneck yuckfests! Lot of them thar mountain girls are TOO FINE! But also there was the opportunity to (as we said) make music with some fantastic musicians. Really incredible some of them. Good times.

Hereā€™s last yearsā€™ winning band. No extra charge for the terrible camera work.

4 Likes

Really cool to see younger folk playing bluegrass. I think that is the most millenial bluegrass band I have ever seen actually. They are purdy damn good too!

2 Likes

Well I donā€™t know that group. I think my last time at that event was 1983ish.

One thing also to recognize is, especially in the most rural mountain areas, lots of Bluegrass ā€œbandsā€ are actually families. Like the distant relatives I mentioned - their entire family played or sang, and they were all very talented. But sheer isolation and sparse population often meant your best option for forming a band was right at home. I just caught a video suggestion and it appears this is a family except for the guy on resonator. Oh and itā€™s my thinking when a family forms a band thereā€™s a damn good chance theyā€™ll be very tight. Syncopated and harmony that will have Charlene Darlin saying not that one Daddy, that song make me cry.

Give this a listen and see how locked together this family is.

https://youtu.be/viQx4KDivPY

4 Likes

Very much so. Wow. When the girl took over lead I had chills. Amazing voice. Hell both of them. I wish I had grown up in a musical family.

3 Likes

I almost picked up an all metal resā€¦ I should have.

yeps they are good :wink: Mama in the backā€¦ I bet that one was past down. cello.

4 Likes

Ok, yeah, they can all freakin sing.
https://youtu.be/0yKeMIOhXjo

2 Likes