Whatcha Cookin?

If this wasn’t so labor-intensive, I’d weigh 600 lbs. That’s 272 Kg to you Brits. or 42.86 Stone to the weird folks who use that system. Whatever…I’m fat and happy :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Wow, some tasty ass labor intensive stuff there @SthrnMixer.

5 Likes

Damn, you had to show these off again. I really want to try them but can’t cook these for 1 :rofl:
It’s about time to go to the butcher.

5 Likes

I had a good amount of the meat left over. I’m going to vaccum seal and freeze it, then drag it back out in a few weeks. Will let you know how it freezes. Also need to freeze the consume. It just wouldn’t be birria tacos if you couldn’t dunk that shit!

4 Likes

YOU GOTTA DUNK THAT SHIT on Make a GIF

It’s like you can see the flavour :drooling_face: This recipe is on my to do list, one day soon.

5 Likes

Ok, here I am again talking about birria tacos. But, it’s not what you think. @marsh8 I hope you pay special attention.

I’ve watched a few videos on these. Lot’s of folks making them outside on a flat top or, like me, with a griddle on a backyard grill. Today I decided to make a few of these before putting all the leftover meat up to freeze. So in the interest of being too lazy to fire up the grill, I got out my trusty cast iron skillet and fired up the kitchen stove.

Got the mise en place and everything was ready for my work station. Now if you’ve watched any of the birria taco videos, you’ll know that when you start cooking them in the pan, you lay down some of the rendered fat from the cooking of the meat in the marinade. What you don’t see on these videos is a stern warning NOT to cook this stuff indoors.

My excitement was palpable. Lodge cast iron pan at around 350F. Chunks of beef fat infused with the chili marinade hits the hot pan, and something near the equivalent of a 50 megaton bomb went off in my kitchen. It wasn’t actually an explosion, but judging by the instant cloud of pepper spray hanging in the air, it was apocalyptic nonetheless. Within mere seconds my lungs felt like I had just inhaled molten lava. Eyes burning and nose running, I realized my colossal failure even before placing the first corn tortilla on the hot oil.

Of course, most people would quickly weigh the pros and cons of continuing under these conditions. I’m not most people. Birria is just too damn good, and I’ve waited all day for them. Mise en place was impressive even by Gordon Ramsay standards. In short, I’m invested.

Only cooked 4 of these which took probably less than a minute per. In that short span of time, I had a cloud of death fumes which, by this time, had permeated pretty much my entire house. I threw open the windows which got my wife’s attention, and she came toward the back door. I damn near knocked her over stopping her from coming inside, and as soon as she saw my red, watery eyes, running nose and me hacking up a lung, I think she figured out what I did. Laughter seems obviously inappropriate here, but by shit she was sure enough busting a gut. Meanwhile, mother nature had filled my lungs with mucus which I’m sure was meant to protect them from injury, but it was doing nothing to help me breath. I’ll spare you the disgusting details of the expulsion of said mucus, but suffice it to say, it was epic.

All in all, I would have done this differently and cooked these lovely tacos outside had I known. But now that I’ve had my dinner…it was worth it.

6 Likes

Where’s the video of this nuclear explosion?!!! I could watch it then post in ‘what has made you smile’

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Funny you should say that @SthrnMixer as I was talking to the owner of a Mexican Restaurant and he showed me in great detail of how they marinated their meats, prepared them, even grilling/charring peppers for their salsas. VERY involved process, AND, even WITH an upgraded, high velocity vent range, the chefs, STILL needed to wear masks when preparing, due TO the “Toxic Death Cloud”. It’s VERY real.

4 Likes

Really good Mexican food is like that. On the plate it seems quite simple, but get down to the nuts and bolts…different story.

I don’t know if the US Army still does it, but when I went through boot camp in 1983, we had to don our gas mask and go into a building filled with tear gas. Then remove the mask…do some exercises like pushups, side-straddle hop (Jumping Jacks to the civilians) and you had to stay there till the DS decided you appreciated your mask. That experience is what allowed me to man up and cook when what I really wanted to do was run and cry like a little girl.

5 Likes

Rib Roast prepared by my cousin on his Camp Chef pellet grill. Served with spaghetti squash, and carrots.

8 Likes

I was going to the butcher to get beef to make those Birria Tacos that @SthrnMixer has been showing off. :drooling_face: :drooling_face: I can’t wait to make them one day.
But then I saw these lamb shanks, just cool enough here to start cooking casseroles and the like.

There maybe after pics but the kitchen normally looks like a bomb went off when I finish cooking.
Lamb any way is a good way, but these are one of my favs especially in winter.

10 Likes

So here’s what I did yesterday with some leftover smoked brisket flat.

1. Some avocado oil in a medium saute pan. Add a big lump of butter and half an onion, sliced into rings.
  2. Once the onions were translucent, put in some portobello mushrooms.
  3. Add sliced, smoked brisket flat. About double the volume of the onions and mushrooms.
  4. Add gouda or other cheese that melts creamy.
  5. Using a wooden spatula, chop the brisket into small pieces and stir to incorporate all ingredients. Once cheese is melted and meat heated, transfer to a bowl.
  6. Butter a sliced hoagie bun and caramelize in a pan.
  7. Slather bun with a mix of mayo, sour cream and chopped chipotle peppers.
  8. Stuff that hoagie!!

This was off the chain good. One thing I wish I had done was to add some crispy fried onions (the salad topper kind). That would have added a great flavor and wonderful contrast of textures. The smoke flavor was also an interesting twist to an otherwise rather normal cheesesteak.

5 Likes

No cooking for me today. Wife had a conference out of town and I don’t feel like doing the normal “from scratch” thing…so I went to the market and picked up a rotisserie chicken, some steamable garlic/parm green beans, some frozen corn with applewood bacon and hatch chilis, and a small loaf of sourdough bread. I’m sure it will be amazing.

However…tomorrow night the plan is this -

Looks good to me, especially from Walmart. Going to also do some bacon-wrapped asparagus and baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon and brown sugar butter. Booya!

7 Likes

@SthrnMixer I know EXACTLY that feeling. Good fix.

6 Likes

Found a big package of Drumsticks on sale, and decided to make a Garlic/Pepper rub for them. Simply, equal parts Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and a few pinch’s of ground Cayenne Pepper and Onion Powder. Par Boiled for a half dozen minutes, patted dry, rubbed, and then rolled in Flour and grilled for about 30min. at 375deg.F frequently turning. Came out (meat falling off the bone) delicious! Served with Jalapeño Cornbread(peppers grown in back yard), and a veggie mix.

Thanks out to @SessionDrummer for the Peppers in the CB idea :wink:

7 Likes

That’s how you do it baby !!!

LOVIN’ all that cracked pepper !!!

5 Likes

Try dusting with corn starch one time instead of rolling in flour. It will blow your ever loving mind.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve ever rolled in flour or mealed before grilling. Think I’m going to have to. Rolled, dipped, and rolled for frying, but hmmm… For GRILLIN’ !!!

4 Likes
5 Likes

Fucking Malcom, of COURSE he did them !!!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes