Voopoo Drag Max kit

Voopoo Drag Max kit

Thanks to Lilia & Sourcemore for supplying the latest Voopoo offering for review. All thoughts & views are my own & there is no affiliation to Sourcemore, Voopoo or VC. This item was supplied free of charge.
head.jpg

Voopoo have been busy this year with the Drag S/X, Argus, and the Vinci range. The PnP coils have been instrumental in building the current Voopoo ecosystem of one coil fits all. Read on to see what the Drag Max has to offer.

In the box

Product Name Drag Max Kit
Pod Capacity 4.5ml

Pod Material PCTG
Pod Resistance 0.2ohm (PnP-VM5), 0.15ohm (PnP-VM6)
Mod Material Leather + Zinc Alloy

Output Power 5-177W

Output Voltage 6.4-8.4V

Mod Resistance 0.1-3.0ohm

Battery Capacity Dual 18650 (not included)

Colour Classic, Retro, Galaxy Blue, Vintage Grey, Marsala

VOOPOO Drag Max Pod Kit Details:

1. Max 177W output power
    1. Brand new GENE.FAN 2.0 chip
    1. 0.001s extreme ignition, dynamic stable output and intelligent interactive
    1. Compatible with PnP magnetic atomizer and all PnP Coils
    1. Dual UI theme interfaces
    1. Dual external 18650 batteries
    1. 5V/2A type-c fast charging
    1. Made by metal and leather
    1. 1.08 inch TFT colour screen
    1. Easy-to-use SMART or power-free RBA mode
    1. Safety protections: Overtime/Short-circuit/Overcharge/Output Over-current/Over Discharge/Over-temperature/Balance Charge with Different Brand Battery/Battery Reverse Protection

box.jpg

Well packaged in a sleeved box, the Drag Max is pictured on the front in the colour of choice. On the rear is the list of contents, warning notices & manufacturer details along with a scratch & check authenticity sticker. Remove the sleeve & the mod is revealed, held firmly in the foam tray. Under the tray is a box containing a USB C lead, Manual & 2 x PnP coils 0.15(PNP-VM6) & 0.2ohm(PnP-VM5).

Drag Max mod

The Drag Max is a solid looking mod with a matt black finish on the metal body & leather grip with the Drag logo embossed on one side & Voopoo on the other with stitching down the spine. The version I received was Vintage Grey with the leather grey & accent panel gunmetal. Overall the finish looks quality. The front face has a concave fire button, 1/08” TFT colour screen, up/down buttons & a USB C port.
screens.jpg

Screen layout is clean with DRAG & battery meter (x2) at the top. Below that is power setting & S/R depending on mode. Next is the puff counter, Volts, Resistance. Puff time (secs) & a graphic display of puff time. The battery is a slide & lock style on the base with orientation (+ & -) marked on the contacts. Open there isn’t any excessive play & closed it feels secure & unlikely to dump batteries on the floor. There isn’t any venting holes anywhere on the mod. Up top is the now familiar PnP dock with AFC control via a slider mechanism with airflow entering via 2 slots either side of the coil. Anybody familiar with the Drag S/X will recognise the small knob to move the AFC & this does give decent control over how much/little air is supplied to the coil. The PnP tank supplied is the 4.5ml version although TPD versions come with the 2ml version. I highly recommend purchasing the XL pod tank if you don’t already have it.
modpod.jpg

For anyone who hasn’t seen the PnP pod system used by Voopoo, it’s a round pod with built in drip tip in a grey tinted PCTG material that allows a clear view of the juice level. Coils are the push fit style via the bottom & the juice port, with silicon bung, is a good size that will take all but the largest bottle nibs. The pod is held in place on the mod by 3 magnets. The PnP range of coils is quite extensive covering DTL through to MTL and an RBA head. There is also a rebuildable RTA pod that fits the system. The supplied coils are the VM-5 at 0.2ohm & VM-6 at 0.15ohm. These are rated for DTL vaping & work well at the stated wattage ratings & have a 7-10 day life, dependant on juice.

In Use

As previously mentioned, coils are a push fit into the base of the pod so after a quick priming of the coil, pop it in and fill the pod via the juice port. The usual 5 clicks turn the mod on/off. Pressing both Up/Down buttons together puts you into a menu screen where you can select the screen theme between “Iron” & “Core” “Core is displayed in landscape with “Iron” in the usual portrait orientation. Slightly unusual for a dual cell mod there are no other options to choose from, it’s just a power mode. The mode has two modes, S(Smart) & R(RBA) and can be switched with 3 clicks of the fire button. The S mode will see the coil resistance and set the wattage for you. This is great if you’re not sure what power setting to use on a new coil the chip will also stop you going over a predetermined wattage to prevent burning the coil & dry hits. R mode gives the user free rein over power settings, ideal if using the RBA PnP head or the RTA tank. Colour scheme of the screen changes from yellow for S and blue for R as well as having S or R on the display. A point to note though, regarding the Smart function, it will only adjust wattage if the power is set above the recommended setting for the installed coil. If lower this doesn’t auto set but will stop you raising power above the max rating. The Drag X does the same, yet the Argus GT will adjust whether power is higher or lower. After the coil has had time to soak drop the pod into the connector & you’re ready to go. I’ve covered these coils before, so this is just a recap of how they behave. The 0.15ohm auto sets to 65w & is an enjoyable vape at that setting. Flavourful & cloudy & decent longevity. The 0.2ohm coil is my preferred, auto setting to 45w is bang on & gives better coil & battery life. I did try the RTA pod using R mode & again performed fine. AFC isn’t really noticeable but does give a nice, restricted draw from half to a quarter closed. Completely closed should work well with MTL coils but as I didn’t have any to test, I couldn’t determine how tight the draw will be.
body.jpg

Conclusions

If you’re looking for the same functionality as the Drag S/X but need longer run time, then this is a good option. Yes, it’s heavier & bigger but it’s pretty pocket friendly & saves carrying spare batteries, in a suitable safe battery case. As an at home mod it’s great & then you can just swap the pod to a Drag S/X for a carry about. Battery cut off is around 3.4v, quite high, but this seems to be a trait of both Drags & the Argus GT. The mod itself is around the same height/width as the Argus GT but longer due to the 2 cell capacity. The PnP system works well, as it does on all the compatible systems. For ease of use it’s great, even for a novice vaper looking to step up. It does appear to be up against the very capable Argus GT but I can see how this fits into Voodoo’s profile. The GT is more capable but is aimed towards the more experienced vaper with extra features like TC & the ability to utilise 510 threaded tanks. For ease of use this is a good option will appeal to the vaper happy with a pick up & go set up. The option of different display styles is a nice touch but I’m happier using the portrait display.

Thanks again to Lilia & Sourcemore for supplying this for review & they have supplied a discount code DRMA to get the Drag Max kit for $36.89 here VOOPOO Drag Max Kit 177W Box Mod with 4.5ml PnP Pod .

3 Likes

@nwhornet Another great review. Love the display on that one.

2 Likes

Thanks @SessionDrummer feedback always appreciated. Yeah it is nice to have some variation but rarely use landscape myself. Once set I hardly look at the screen as can’t be arsed putting my glasses on :joy:

1 Like

Nice review and covers all points I’m interested in :wink:

3 Likes

Cheers for the feedback :+1:

1 Like

Hehe, I hear you on the glasses. I too thought it was a nice touch.

2 Likes

Great review brother, I wish I didn’t like this thing as much as I do…those slimey motherfuckers just keep prodding me with some really nice looking kit. :man_facepalming:

Awesome job man, thanks for sharing it :sunglasses: :+1: :ok_hand:

4 Likes

@Steampugs, @nwhornet I wanted to say the same thing, but ehhhh …

4 Likes

It’s a strange one. When it first came, I’m thinking what’s the point the Argus GT covers more bases & , in my opinion, is aesthetically more pleasing. But for those who want more cell life, simple PnP system & no faff this does it.
Thanks for the kind words as well, much appreciated :+1:

3 Likes