VOOPOO ARGUS Z3 Review: Lightweight Pod with a Simple Multi-Ohm System

VOOPOO ARGUS Z3 Review: Lightweight Pod with a Simple Multi-Ohm System

Today I’m taking a look at the VOOPOO ARGUS Z3, a lightweight and compact pod system that comes with VOOPOO’s ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge.

The ARGUS Z3 is designed as a simple, portable pod device and gives you the option to switch between 0.7Ω and 1.0Ω by simply flipping the cartridge around.

Thanks to VOOPOO for sending me the ARGUS Z3 to review!

Official product page:

https://www.voopoo.com/argus-z3

Disclaimer: This review is my own thoughts and I am not associated with anyone at VOOPOO, nor am I being paid to write this review.

What’s in the Box?

The standard version of the ARGUS Z3 includes:

  • 1 x ARGUS Z3 Device

  • 1 x ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge 3.5ml

  • 1 x User Manual

  • 1 x ARGUS POD Family Compatibility Guide

The TPD version comes with a 2ml ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge instead.

Specifications

ARGUS Z3

  • Material: PCTG + Leather

  • Weight: 41.6g

  • Output Power: 5-20W

  • Output Voltage: 3.2-4.2V

  • Resistance Range: 0.4-3.0Ω

  • Battery Capacity: 1100mAh

  • Charging: USB Type-C, 5V/1A

  • Cartridge: ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge

  • Resistance options with the included cartridge: 0.7Ω / 1.0Ω

ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge

  • Material: PCTG

  • Capacity: 2ml TPD / 3.5ml Standard & US

  • Filling: Top filling

  • Resistance: 0.7Ω / 1.0Ω

  • E-liquid: Nic Salt / Freebase

  • Recommended nicotine: 1.0Ω up to 50mg, 0.7Ω up to 30mg

Design and Build Quality

The ARGUS Z3 is a very lightweight pod device, weighing just 41.6g. That is one of the first things I noticed about the design. It feels easy to carry around and doesn’t feel like something that will weigh down your pocket. The device combines PCTG with a leather section, giving it a slightly more interesting look than a completely plain plastic pod system. VOOPOO has also reduced the weight compared with the previous generation. According to VOOPOO, the Z3 is 9.3g lighter than its predecessor, which is an 18.3% reduction in weight. There are six colour options available, so there should be something for most tastes.

Overall, the ARGUS Z3 is aimed at being simple, lightweight and portable rather than being a large or complicated device.

The ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge

The ARGUS Z3 comes with VOOPOO’s Multi-Ohm Cartridge, which is probably the most interesting feature of this device. Instead of using two separate cartridges for different resistances, you can switch between 0.7Ω and 1.0Ω simply by flipping the cartridge around. With the cartridge inserted one way, the device uses the 0.7Ω resistance. Flip the cartridge 180 degrees and it switches to 1.0Ω. I have tested this flipping system quite extensively and it works well. Once you know which way the cartridge needs to go, switching between the two resistances is very simple.

The device also uses different LED colours to show which resistance is active. Blue indicates 0.7Ω, while green indicates 1.0Ω.

Filling the Cartridge

The ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge uses a top-filling system. The cartridge is available in different capacities depending on the version. The TPD version holds 2ml, while the Standard and US versions hold 3.5ml. For my testing, I mainly used salt nicotine e-liquids between 5mg and 20mg. I mostly use fruit, menthol and sweet flavours. I don’t normally vape tobacco or dessert flavours, so those weren’t really part of my testing. The different resistance options worked well with the fruity and menthol flavours I used.

0.7Ω Performance

The 0.7Ω setting gives a more open vape than the 1.0Ω option and is the setting I personally prefer on the ARGUS Z3. I like lower resistance because I generally prefer a more open draw and more flavour. The fruit, menthol and sweet e-liquids I tested worked nicely with the 0.7Ω cartridge. For me, this is the more enjoyable of the two settings because it gives me the type of draw and flavour I normally look for.

1.0Ω Performance

Flipping the cartridge around changes the resistance to 1.0Ω. This gives a tighter MTL-style vape compared with the 0.7Ω setting. The flavour is still good with the e-liquids I tested, but personally I prefer the 0.7Ω setting because I like a more open vape and stronger overall flavour. However, having both options available in one cartridge is useful if you sometimes want to switch between a tighter and more open draw.

Leaking

One thing I always pay attention to when testing pod systems is leaking. During my testing with the ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge, I didn’t experience leaking problems. That is definitely a positive for me, especially with a pod that is designed to be carried around as a lightweight everyday device.

Battery and Charging

The ARGUS Z3 has a built-in 1100mAh battery. For such a lightweight device, I think 1100mAh is a useful battery capacity. It keeps the device compact while still giving you a reasonable amount of battery capacity for an everyday pod. Charging is handled through USB Type-C at 5V/1A.

The device also has an energy bar to show the remaining battery level. Each bar represents 25% of the battery. This makes it easy to see when the device needs charging without having to guess how much battery is left.

Safety Features

The ARGUS Z3 includes eight safety protections:

  • Poor connection protection

  • 5-second overtime protection

  • Short-circuit protection

  • Low battery protection

  • Overcharge protection

  • Over-temperature protection

  • Output over-current protection

  • Max power protection

I like seeing this kind of protection on a simple pod system. It keeps the device straightforward while still including the basic protections you’d expect from a modern pod.

ARGUS Pod Family Compatibility

Another advantage of the ARGUS Z3 is that it is part of the ARGUS Pod Family. VOOPOO says the ARGUS Pod Family cartridges are compatible across a large range of ARGUS devices. This means you aren’t necessarily locked into using one cartridge type if you already have other ARGUS devices.

The ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge itself is also compatible with a number of ARGUS devices, including the ARGUS Z3, ARGUS G4, G4 mini, G3, G3 mini, G2, G2 mini, G2 mini+, P3, P2, P1, P1s, A, Z2 and others. One important thing to remember is that the ARGUS Z3 supports the 0.7Ω and 1.0Ω modes of the Multi-Ohm Cartridge. The 0.4Ω mode is not available on the Z3.

Pros

  • Very lightweight at 41.6g

  • Compact and easy to carry

  • 1100mAh built-in battery

  • USB Type-C charging

  • 0.7Ω and 1.0Ω options in one cartridge

  • Easy resistance switching by flipping the cartridge

  • Good flavour with fruit, menthol and sweet e-liquids

  • I experienced no leaking during my testing

  • Top-filling cartridge

  • Simple battery indicator

  • Eight safety protections

  • Compatible with the ARGUS Pod Family

  • Six colour options

Cons

  • No 0.4Ω mode on the ARGUS Z3

  • 1.0Ω may feel too tight if you prefer a more open draw

  • USB Type-C charging is limited to 1A

Verdict: Is the VOOPOO ARGUS Z3 Worth It?

The ARGUS Z3 is a simple and lightweight pod system that focuses on portability and ease of use. The 41.6g weight makes it very easy to carry around, while the 1100mAh battery gives it a good balance between size and battery capacity. For me, the biggest feature is the ARGUS Multi-Ohm Cartridge. Being able to switch between 0.7Ω and 1.0Ω simply by flipping the cartridge is a clever and convenient idea. I tested the flipping system quite extensively and it worked well for me.

I mainly used fruit, menthol and sweet salt nicotine e-liquids between 5mg and 20mg, and both resistance options worked well with the flavours I tested. Personally, I prefer the 0.7Ω setting because I like lower ohms, a more open draw and more flavour in general. The 1.0Ω setting is better suited to people who prefer a tighter MTL vape. I also didn’t experience leaking with the Multi-Ohm Cartridge during my testing, which is another big positive.

If you’re looking for a lightweight and straightforward pod system without lots of complicated settings, the ARGUS Z3 is definitely worth considering. It’s easy to use, has a decent-sized battery for its weight, and the ability to switch between two resistance options without changing cartridges makes it more versatile than a basic single-resistance pod.

Thanks for reading my review, and a big thank you again to VOOPOO for sending me the ARGUS Z3 to test and review! As always, these are my own honest thoughts based on my personal experience with the product.