Vaporesso Gen S kit

Vaporesso Gen S kit w/t NRG S Tank

Many thanks to Lilia @Sourcemore for supplying this kit for review. These are my personal thoughts/observations & I have no affiliation to either Sourcemore or VC.

Another offering from Vaporesso is the Gen S kit that includes the NRG S Subohm tank. The Gen mod with the AXON chip proved very popular when originally released. Please read on for my thoughts on this mod/tank combo.

In the box

The Gen S kit comes in a sturdy box, colour matched to the mod, with the top easily removeable. A plastic tray holds the mod & tank & below is a box with manual, warranty card, USB lead, spare O rings & replacement straight glass tank, bubble glass is already fitted to the NRG S.

1 x Gen S mod.
1 x NRG -S Tank 8ml Bubble glass.
1 x GT Mesh coil ( 0.18 0hm pre - installed )
1 x GT4 Mesh coil ( 0.15 0hm in the box )
1 x Extra glass tube (5 ml )
4 x O - Rings.
1 x USB Cable.
1 x User Manual.
1 x Warranty Card.

Specifications of the Gen S Mod.
Dimensions : 93.5 x 53 x 27mm.
Net Weight : 107g
Output wattage : 5 - 220w.
Resistance : 0.3 -5 0hm
Battery : 2 x 18650 ( Not included ) Mode: Pulse Mode/Power ECO/Smart TC/DIY Charging Current : 2.5A
Display : 0.91’ OLED Screen.
Thread Compatibility : 510.
Gen S Mod

So what are the differences between the original Gen & the Gen S. In a nutshell none. The mod is identical to the original except there’s more colour choice. The AXON chip has been well received already so no need to change that. The body is the same format with a 4 layer protective coating & “breathing” rubber coating. The battery door panel is held securely by 2 largish magnets & there’s zero movement or rattle. The battery compartment takes two 18650 batteries & orientation is marked inside. Personal beef here but I do wish manufacturers would highlight the +/- to make it easier to see in dull light. A ribbon is fitted to aid removal of cells. The top contact pins are spring loaded, providing a secure fitting with no rattle. There is also AXON branding inside to reaffirm the chipset. On the flat base is more branding & 18 vent holes. Up top is the 510 plate with spring loaded centre pin. Due to the mods profile it will accommodate up to 26mm dia. tank with no overhang. The 510 plate is slightly raised to prevent tanks scratching the finish, although it does leave a barely noticeable gap between mod & tank.

A decent sized fire button sits up above the 0.91 OLED screen & below this are 3 smaller buttons, up/menu/down. This button layout will be familiar to anybody who has used a DNA C based mod. 5 clicks on the fire button turn the mod on/off. 3 clicks locks/unlocks all the buttons. When a tank is screwed on you will be asked if it’s a new or old load. Whether you click yes or no the screen then shows a scanning animation before showing the ohms. The top & bottom buttons allow for scrolling up/down through the watts (degrees when in temp mode). Holding down either button will increment in 1w steps & single presses by 0.1w. There is no round robin when you hit min/max watts. Pressing the middle button will prompt for 3 clicks to enter set up mode but you can just long press. Once in the menu scroll using +/- buttons to the desired mode, default is Pulse. Menu options, using +/- to scroll through, include Pulse, Power Eco, Smart TC, DIY Mode, System set & Exit. Pulse is default & applies rapid on/off power. Power Eco will extend battery runtime as capacity drops. Smart TC will do a scan on the coil to check it’s a TC capable wire & set temp/power accordingly. DIY mode is ideal for using RTA/RDAs allowing personal settings. System set allows for resetting the puff counter & adjusting screen brightness.

NRG-S Subohm tank

The original Gen kit came with the SKRR-S Subohm tank, but the Gen S has the newer NRG-S tank. This tank will accept the full GT range of coils, 9 in total, so there should be something for everyone. The tank itself is a slide open top fill with a generous fill port. The drip tip, although appearing to be an 810 size is actually a 510 fitting. This doesn’t appear to have a detrimental effect on cloud or flavour production though, so it seems to work as intended. The tank comes with an 8ml bubble glass fitted, great given this isn’t frugal with the juice, and a straight 5ml glass for those who don’t like the extra girth. Airflow is via two opposed cyclops style inlets controlled by a smooth airflow ring. This gives plenty of adjustment from restricted up to wide open & is fairly quiet unless almost closed when it whistles. The coils screw into the base section & then to the chimney when reassembling. Unless the tank is less than half full, swapping coils is best done when empty otherwise it’s going to get messy. The two coils supplied both performed well for stock coils. My preference was the GT4 dual mesh for overall flavour, but the GT mesh performed equally as well although it needed more power due to the wide bore.
Conclusions
The Gen mod has built up quite a reputation & after using this I can see why. Styling is great, workmanship superb & the AXON chip will give the high end boards a very good run for the money. The NRG-S tank is a decent stock coil Subohm tank that delivers bags of flavour with little fuss & competes well against the likes of the Falcons & Firelukes. As a bundle this kit is great value. Not much to complain about to be honest, the mod itself is worth the price.
Thanks again to Lilia @ Sourcemore & there’s a discount code for those interested. Use VGS to get this for $42.90 here Vaporesso Gen S Kit 220W TC Box Mod Kit 8ml NRG-S Tank .

7 Likes

Thanks for the review, very nice to read.

3 Likes

Cheers for the comments & for reading :+1:

1 Like

Nice job @nwhornet :wink: , always been a fan of the Gen series and Vaporesso in general, great write up man :ok_hand: :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks mate. Never got caught up in the hype when the Gen was first released. Bought too many bits of vape gear only to find it never matched up to the wrte ups/reviews. Turns out it’s as good as the hype says :joy: Has been a joy to use & makes a change from all the pod kits.

1 Like

Great review, and pics @nwhornet.

2 Likes

Thanks pal, appreciate the kind comments :+1:

1 Like

I actually have more than a handful of the Gen S mods in my super stash, and they’ve been really good to me. I don’t think I’ve got one THAT color though. Very distinctive. Good choice for the review.

2 Likes

LOL pot luck bud. Normally get gold or rainbow (yes looking at you Wotofo :rofl:) but this grew on me

1 Like

Great review :smiley:

3 Likes

Great Review @nwhornet, Looks good! I have a Gen S coming for xmas, it was nice to get a preview look at it :+1:

3 Likes