Vaporesso Armour Max Review — The Mod That Survived Namibia

Official Vaporesso image — black Armour Max

Official Vaporesso image — black Armour Max

Review basis: long-term personal use, including travel to Namibia. This review covers the mod, not the bundled iTank 2.

Some mods are bought because they are shiny.

Some are bought because a reviewer made breathless noises over the packaging.

I bought the Vaporesso Armour Max to replace my Wanderlust Fogmaster. I wanted a dependable dual-battery mod that could run my rebuildables without needing to visit a charger every evening.

Then I took it to Namibia.

That is a much better test than sitting at a desk and firing it seventeen times for YouTube.

My real-world setup

Most of my time with the Armour Max has been spent using:

  • The black Vaporesso Armour Max
  • ThunderCloud Recoil R3 RDA
  • Dual Ni80 fused Claptons
  • Approximately 0.12Ω
  • Around 90W
  • Vaporesso’s F(t) firing mode

This review is primarily about the mod. Vaporesso sells the kit with its iTank 2 and GTi coils, but that is not the setup I used to judge it.

The Recoil R3 is not exactly a timid little atomiser. At 90W with a low-resistance dual-coil build, it gives a mod and its batteries honest work to do.

The official numbers

According to Vaporesso, the Armour Max offers:

  • Dual 21700 or 18650 battery compatibility
  • 5–220W output
  • 0.96-inch TFT screen
  • USB-C charging at 5V/2A
  • Listed dimensions of 157 × 56.5 × 34mm
  • Listed weight of 186g

The kit also includes two 18650 battery sleeves, allowing owners to use either battery format.

Those are the brochure numbers. They are useful, but they are not why I like this mod.

The battery life is the standout feature

With the Fogmaster, charging my batteries had become part of the nightly routine.

Remove batteries. Charge batteries. Put them back the next morning. Repeat until death or load-shedding separates us.

With the Armour Max, I can get roughly two days from a charge under my normal use.

That is not a laboratory claim. Your results will change according to batteries, resistance, wattage, coil mass and how often you vape. Somebody running at 40W will have a very different experience from somebody trying to summon weather at 180W.

But my comparison is simple: I am the same vaper, following the same habits, and I no longer automatically reach for the charger every night.

Running the Recoil R3 at around 90W, two days is bloody good.

That extra endurance became particularly valuable while travelling. A mod that lasts comfortably through a long day is useful. One that can push into a second day without developing electronic anxiety is better.

Official Vaporesso Armour Max campaign image

Official Vaporesso Armour Max campaign image

Namibia tested more than the brochure did

The Armour Max travelled through Namibia with me, running the Recoil R3.

I did not buy it to become a protected shelf ornament. It was packed, carried and used as part of a real trip, far away from my normal desk and convenient collection of spare equipment.

It kept working.

I am not going to claim it is indestructible. I have not driven over it, thrown it from the Pajero or used it to defend myself against an angry warthog.

What I can say is that it survived genuine travel and returned home still doing the job I bought it to do.

That matters more to me than a manufacturer showing a mod being dropped onto a suspiciously clean studio floor.

Big, heavy and exactly what I wanted

The Armour Max is not small.

Once two batteries and the Recoil R3 are fitted, you know it is in your hand. Anyone looking for a delicate little pocket mod will probably regard that as a criticism.

I do not.

I like large, solid mods. I want something that fills my hand properly. The size and weight give the Armour Max a reassuring presence without making it uncomfortable to hold.

It feels planted.

It feels substantial.

Most importantly, it feels as though it can take a punch.

That last part is a feeling, not a scientific durability certification. However, after taking it through Namibia, the feeling has at least acquired some supporting evidence.

The shape works well for me too. Despite its bulk, it sits naturally in my hand and does not feel like I am trying to operate a brick with a fire button glued to the side.

The black-and-orange Old Goat look

I chose the black version.

Combined with the orange fire button, it looks as though Vaporesso accidentally designed an Old Goat mod without consulting me.

Black, chunky, practical and carrying just enough orange to stand out—it fits the brand better than plenty of equipment that has actually had a goat engraved on it.

The Recoil R3 finishes the setup nicely. It looks like equipment intended to be used, rather than jewellery that happens to produce vapour.

It may not appeal to someone who wants polished rainbow metal, flashing lights and a device shaped like a perfume bottle.

That is perfectly fine. They can be wrong somewhere else.

What do I dislike?

The obvious compromise is the same thing I like: size and weight.

This is not the mod I would recommend to somebody who wants something invisible in a shirt pocket. Dual batteries, a large body and a proper RDA produce a substantial setup.

For my use, that is not a fault. It is the point.

I am not going to manufacture a list of imaginary problems simply because reviews are expected to include three pros and three cons. So far, the Armour Max has not given me a serious problem worth ranting about.

If that changes, I will say so.

A proper review does not end when the article is published. Equipment can earn praise today and still find new ways to annoy you six months later.

Who should consider it?

The Armour Max makes sense for someone who:

  • Uses higher-powered tanks or rebuildable atomisers
  • Wants the endurance of a dual-battery mod
  • Prefers a large, solid device
  • Values practicality over pocket-friendly size
  • Wants the flexibility to use either 21700 or 18650 batteries

It makes considerably less sense for someone who wants a light MTL setup or a tiny mod for going to the shops.

This is a workhorse, not a handbag accessory.

The Old Goat verdict

The Vaporesso Armour Max replaced my Wanderlust Fogmaster and has done exactly what I wanted it to do.

It runs the Recoil R3 comfortably. It feels excellent in my hand. The black body and orange fire button suit me perfectly. Most importantly, it has changed my battery routine from charging every night to getting roughly two days from a charge.

Then it survived Namibia.

That is not a theoretical recommendation based on specifications. It is a verdict earned through actual use.

The Armour Max is big, heavy and unapologetically solid.

In other words, it is an Old Goat vape.

Old Goat Approved.

Manufacturer specifications:
https://www.vaporesso.com/series-product/armour-series/armour-max

— Old Goat

1 Like