Vape Mail! 2018

Seems to be a common thread there…
All three very recent mods, and two of the three brands are “up and comers” (Smoant & Vaporesso). The ones I have seen it be “occasionally iffy”, to downright questionable, are on average 2+ years old.

My Cuboid 150w has always been reliable (but primarily from an “it works” (and mainly in power mode these days, because I got tired of it bouncing around, or even out of TC mode) standpoint). It’s always frustrated me that the impedance never truly stays rock solid. (There’s a lot of fine details that I’m not going into, but that’s because it’s so much trouble, and time consuming to go into). I can deal with TC being a bit off, as long as we’ve got the ability to adjust for TCR. :wink:

I’ve also experienced the same with other (older) devices. So you guys may be reaping the benefits of joining the vaping party later… Much like I enjoyed missing the cartomizer/clearomizer days of that which preceded me. chuckles

At any rate, I experienced the same poor “reading skills” with my old Sigelei Spark 90 (2015 model?), the Sigelei Fuchai 213 Pro (Dan_the_Man’s unit, early 2017? Model), the Eleaf products (I’ve tested the 40w, 50w, and 100w models), with the worst being the Smok Alien’s, understandably so (given the “construction” of the 510 assy.).

That’s so far been one of the bigger draws (and reasons supporting the accuracy of the DNA devices. The fact that you can test for and equally importantly adjust for the offset created by the gauge of/length of/quality of the additional margin of error introduced by such factors. (Chipset abilities not withstanding of course)

That’s what really caught my attention when I was testing the operation of the Vaptio N1 (VM’s). I had just used it on my Cuboid (where it read 0.22 ohms, normal for about 3-4 day’s use), and it was still warm when I put it on the N1. When I popped the 2 batteries in, it instantly read the impedance as being 0.18 ohms.

I hit it a couple times, and it still read 0.18. that definitely made me “stand up and take notice”. I first thought, ok, are they just plugging the first reading into “memory” (in some way)? Or have things finally advanced enough in “run of the mill vaping chips” that we could finally start to see the playing field leveled (at least among the IMO “respectable” manufacturers, and the DNA/YiHi chips)?

I’m hoping that “access” will begin to open up soon on this front, as I may have an opportunity opening to put much more recent gear through the paces. But I’ll have to see how that plays out.

If Aspire has improved their chip (or choice of chips), that’s a positive sign. If Smoant and Vaporesso as well, are indeed accurately reading things, and maintaining those readings (like Vaptio seems to be) then possibly, it’s a good indicator that a trend is taking hold (at least among the first tier manufacturers) and that there’s going to be some truly wonderful things coming our way in the 2018 regulated domain!!
And that excites me!!

4 Likes

I think you pretty much nailed it. I also have a few that “jump around” and “jump in and out” in TC mode. It hit me as well that a few manufacturers are taking TC a little more seriously. They are not Yihi or DNA but they are doing respectable and reliable TC, relative to providing an enjoyable TC vape. IMHO, no TC is reliable enough to trust a temp setting as “bible”. Too many variables. I often think of a post where the OP want assurance that the mod would never produce over 425°F (for example, I don’t remember the exact temp) as he believed the wire would off gas killer fumes over that temp. I don’t see TC being sophisticated enough to provide that assurance.

Back to the three aforementioned mods, I’ve been using them in TC only for at least a couple of months and no problems. They are all set somewhere between 400 and 450 °F and are providing a very pleasurable vape.

4 Likes

Have you tried this firmware for your Cuboid? https://nfeteam.org/ I have been tempted but haven’t got around to it. I used mine for a long time, but would have to dig it out of my storage box.

I have to say I have given up on Sigelei/Fuchai/ Laismo for the reason that all that I own are very under powered in wattage mode. For instance the Fuchai Dual/3 is so weak in comparison to the Vaptio N1 its like night and day. I also have the Kaos Spectrum and Wyvern 235. They all have pretty color screens but are weak on power delivery and battery life compared to most of my other mods.

There is like a whole new generation of mods with imo really good chipsets. The Revenger that @SmilingOgre mentioned, The VooPoo, Rev Tech, Vaptio, Dovpo and Vapecige. Interestingly, Vapecige made a DNA75 mod, and from what I understand the Vapecige proprietary boards changed drastically after that. Maybe they “borrowed” a few ideas? :wink: I don’t use TC very often but if I get a new mod I always let friends that do the crazy high wattage and temp control try them to get their input. And the Speeder is on my short list, I haven’t heard one bad thing about it from friends.

@Sprkslfly I would be willing to send you my Laisimo Wyvern 235 for dissection. I will never use it. The battery contacts are like folded over stamped metal like you would find in a cheap flashlight.

7 Likes

Yes! And thanks for the kind thought!

I’ve run Arctic Fox for roughly the last 6 months, but it still can’t deliver beyond the hardware limitations unfortunately.

It was/is a marked improvement over factory FW (in options alone) though. Well worth installing on any compatible device IMO! :thumbsup:

4 Likes

I suspect there’s a lot of that going on… :wink:

5 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Let’s talk TC

Last night, I picked up this Kanger Pollex mod for $10 and the two tanks for $5 each. More STUFF!

VAPE%20MAIL%203-16-18

I haven’t had time to mess with the tanks yet, (I already have a mage) but the mod is kinda impressive. Its really light weight, built in 3500 mAh battery, and it delivers good strong power even with a dual coil tank. I am guessing the battery must be Lipo since its so light. It will be good for short trips shopping or out on the town.

9 Likes

Yep it is indeed a single coil. They are great little tanks, I just wish the glass didn’t come off so easily when you take the base off.

4 Likes

Nanananananana Bat mod, bat mod…bat mod…Boom Pow shazam! This red one is pretty slick looking. Gonna put on some scuba gear and run around the city with it fighting penguins!

13 Likes

13 Likes

It was rda clearance at the local vape store, dang I am a sucker. $5 each

rdas

11 Likes

Just received an interesting MOD by Ecofri, the Gladiator, and popped a Doggystyle 2K16 on to try it out.

10 Likes

Sigh, no vape mail for me these days except for the magnet door conversion for the GBOX. I never thought I’d say this, but there isn’t anything out right now I really want. Yes I slapped myself for saying that.

Waiting for a new nifty dual-18650 regulated squonk to show up on the market.

10 Likes

The rage 155w squonker looks like a great piece of kit, I think it’s being released next week.

6 Likes

Paranormal DNA250C and so far liking the Replay mode.

Got in a pair of Desire X Mini mods too, talk about solid, afraid to drop them on my tile. Housing a 21700 makes my single battery phobia a lot more manageable.

11 Likes

Sweet!!! Hope the paranormal will hit stateside soon.

4 Likes

Some did get them in the US but sold out quick. If I see a good deal in the US I will let you know.

4 Likes

Groove, Thanks! I’ve been checking about daily. I need another mod like I need a hole in the head but this is the 250C OMG!!! Ya, I’m not immune.

6 Likes

We will see if the shine wears off but so far I love it. The interface on both the 250C and 75C makes if so much easier than all the button combos you had to do on the old chips, felt like I was back playing video games at the arcade.

I am finally getting great performance using Replay out of some SS430 coils that I was almost ready to throw out. Not sure why they sucked but never performed like my other SS430 wire but Replay took the fiddling out and just worked. Replay didn’t work as well on another SS316L build though, was getting a bit of a dry hit.

Ehhh, I should have posted this on the TC thread…cut and paste…lol

4 Likes

All groove. Both places will be fine for sure. I’m 100% with you. All my DNA’s perform well but that whole “remember the button combination” never worked well for me. The 75C was a huge relief. I have high hopes for the replay. Some builds just need that extra “kick” in the beginning of the vape to get started and the 75C didn’t always make the grade. The 166 and 250 handled everything I ever put together.

5 Likes