User trust Levels - The quest for edit

On an unrelated question, why is there no edit button for after a post is made? I am used to forums allowing posts to be edited for some short period after they have been made (two hours isn’t unusual), but I can’t seem to find anything at all. I’ve looked around for help files or some other explanation without success.

I usually look over my posts before sending them, but I miss stuff from time to time, and see it right after I’ve posted.

I guess I’ll just have to be more vigilant in my review, or settle for my typos to be immortalized in cyberspace

6 Likes

It’s because you are Trust level 1 - Basic User

screenshot-vapingcommunity.co.uk-2020.08.16-15_22_10

Read more about trust levels here:

9 Likes

Cheers @Grubby :wink:

5 Likes

Many thanks.

I knew I had graduated to Trust Level One. I got a notice. But I couldn’t find out much about exactly what that meant, just the bit in the automodbot message that told me I had graduated (as it were).

I looked around for more info, but apparently not hard enough. I certainly didn’t think to go to my Profile Summary, expand the Badges pull-down, and click on a link in the one that didn’t have a badge.

Not exactly a disused lavatory with a sign that says “Beware of the Leopard”, but it would have been a while before I stumbled across it without help. :slightly_smiling_face: Perhaps something like that could be made more easily uncovered?

How far up the ladder does one need to get to be able to edit their post? It isn’t a big deal, but I’m a bit surprised it is a privilege guarded so assiduously.

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I’ll be sure to come to you if I have any more silly questions like that.

4 Likes

Should all be explained here:

4 Likes

I agree that it should be.

Sadly, It starts out by stating that;

and I was wondering how to do it at all … as in, right after I posted.

So, no. It really isn’t.

(As an interesting note, if one purses the “discobot” Advanced Tutorial, as all new members certainly ought, the very first thing it wants to teach you is how to edit your post, which, of course, you can’t do because reasons, and therefore you cannot progress any further into the tutorial. This seems to wound the discobot deeply, because it keeps sending me messages reminding me that I abandoned it. :slightly_smiling_face:)

5 Likes

Update on that.

I went back to try again and saw that there was a “skip” option I had overlooked.

Mea culpa.

So now I am the proud possessor of a shiny new Certificate.

Yay, me.

:grin:

Still can’t edit, though.

9 Likes

Just keep doing what you’re doing :wink: …best things n all that :grin:

9 Likes

Yeah the answer to your question is in the link he sent you, Editing your post’s comes with Trust level 2, last thing on the list :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah, umm … no.

Please refer to my earlier response to @Grubby, where I quoted the relevant part of that same document. The one which he had directed me to for the same explanatory purpose.

As part of the things which a Trust Level 0 member cannot do …

" Users at trust level 0 cannot …

Edit their own posts after more than 24 hours".

In the original spirit of “the exception which proves the rule”, it would seem to suggest that the TL0 member can indeed edit their posts so long as they do it within that 24 hour window.

Perhaps I have been insufficiently clear, but at the very onset of this digression I tried to explain that my interest was in being able to edit the post shortly after I posted it, in the event that I saw a typo or wanted to rephrase something which I overlooked in my pre-posting review.

I would find 24 hours to be much more than sufficient for my purposes. I’m accustomed to fora which let you have a two hour window for that sort of clean-up, and after that the post is written in stone for eternity unless you could persuade a mod or admin to edit it for you.

The Discourse Trust Levels document appears to have anticipated and provided for such short term edits, but apparently it is not enabled on this forum… I’m not sure how a new user could discover this without such a conversation as we are having, since there doesn’t seem to be any other supplemental documentation which clarifies that.

I find the graduated levels of edit privileges here to be very interesting, and if I am here often and long enough to earn the needed Trust Level I am sure I will find them convenient.

But that is not what I was asking about.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Well…aren’t you an absolute joy.

I’ll get back to you on that :+1:

6 Likes

Please understand that Discourse is also highly customizable, because it was designed to accommodate a variety of forums.

Admins have control over what options are invoked. Picking nits with the exact verbiage isn’t helping your case. In my opinion, it is reinforcing why they are what they are (within this setting).

Try not to stress so much about being perfect. As you’ll find, several of us have to go to additional effort to convey a stream of thought (to full, or ‘better’ understanding).

I respect “trying to be precise”. I’m guilty of this myself (a bit too often). But honestly, they’re a very forgiving and understanding bunch in most cases.

Until someone steps well out of bounds. :laughing:
Even then, I’ve never seen someone roasted into a pile of ashes. So try and relax. It’ll come soon enough.

5 Likes

Yes. I certainly understand that. I am only trying to understand the limitations and conventions as they are applied here.

I apologise if I gave the impression that I was “picking nits”. That was not my intention.

When someone in a position of authority refers me to documentation which they are saying ought to answer my question and it does the exact opposite then I think asking further questions to clarify the point is perfectly reasonable.

This is all I have done. Sorry for the confusion.

I wasn’t stressing at all. I began to suspect that my original question wasn’t clear. So I tried to re-frame it.

I’m not trying to challenge anyone or make any sort of waves.

I wasn’t “trying to be precise”. I was trying to be clear. It is apparent that I failed in that endeavor.

Ys. And I am in no particular hurry. I’ve learned that what I was looking for is not available, and that something else which I am less concerned about will come with time which will coincidentally address my original issue. That’s fine.

I’m not overreacting here. I’m sorry that it seems that way.

4 Likes

Gee whiz.

Many thanks.

3 Likes

You’re welcome.

5 Likes

Testing Testing Testing hello, this is a test post

3 Likes

@quadraginta You can now edit your posts, have fun :smile:

6 Likes

LoL I had an issue with edits too… I do a ton of typos… and I love to go back and add more content if I forget anything… Keep posting… but then again… there is the bot :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

4 Likes

As long as that content is not affiliate links that’s fine

3 Likes

I now give @anon95579583 a big eye roll and my empty coffee cup :coffee:
Will wait for the next trick… thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes