TPA Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol)

I’m looking to learn about sweeteners. In general I rely on the inherent sweetness from either the flavours and/or the VG. I never got into commercial E-liquid and pretty soon after I started vaping, got into mixing my own. Recently I’ve developed more of a sweet-tooth and been digging TPA Cotton Candy.
If I were to use a combination of CAP Super Sweet ( sucralose) and TPA Cotton Candy (ethyl maltol), would it suffice as a sub for TPA Sweetener?

3 Likes

I would think (without testing this theory) that you would end up close to TPA Sweetner, using Cap SS at probably half or less of what you would normally use the TPA.
I myself use quite a bit of Cap SS as well as EM and Sweetness FLV, the FLV does contain sucralose probably as much as WF sweetener but a lot less than the SS.
I’ve used EM in recipes where I want to mask harsh or bitter notes
Some of my notes on Em, Ethyl Maltol:

Em, Ethyl Maltol 10% in PG

Mutagen, masks bitter / off notes. Adds some sweetness, use maybe at 1% or lower in combination with sweetener.
(Higher percentages will get cotton candy flavor and can reduce flavor intensity)
Avoid heavy use with flavors that already contain EM

“Maltol, ethyl maltol, (and diacetyl) are weak mutagens. However, relatively large amounts of the substances are present in the diet. The usual levels of maltol added to baked goods, ice creams, and candy are approximately 110 ppm. Levels on the order of 80 ppm are added to certain beverages. Ethyl maltol, a more potent flavor enhancer than maltol, is generally used in concentrations of about 20 ppm in these foods.”

“Masking is the addition of flavors to minimize the detectability of off-flavors. The methods include: taste modifying by providing other sensations, taste suppression by competing with bitter receptors (blocking), or accentuating other flavors (taste enhancing) (Gascon, 2011).
Sweetness often is enough to mask bitter flavors, since bitter and sweet receptors are similar in structure. However, just adding more sucrose may not be the answer, Maltol, vanillin, and MCP all smell “sweet,” that is, they possess aromas that are associated with sweet foods (think ice cream, sweet bakery items, and maple syrup). Added to a food with a bitter component, the sweet aroma will trick the mind into ignoring the bitter component as it is not congruent with the sweet taste and aroma.”

“Maltol is often added as a sweetness enhancer, but it also enhances and modifies savory flavors, adds mouthfeel, increases creaminess and dairy notes and decreases bitterness.”

“Maltol, ethyl maltol, and diacetyl are representatives of the 1,2-dicarbonyl class of chemicals. The total daily human doses of mutagenic 1,2-dicarbonyl compounds are likely to be much greater than estimates based on known levels of maltol, ethyl maltol, and diacetyl. Other 1,2-dicarbonyl compounds such as intermediates in enzymatic and nonenzymatic browning reactions in foods are weakly mutagenic in the Ames test. No conclusive evidence showing the carcinogenic activities of these substances has been presented.”

4 Likes

@PAPACHiGLY, @Rocky02852 put up some good info. You’ll have to halve the Super Sweet, and use it 50/50 with your EM to be equal to TPA’s Sweetener. You might be best off like you said, using SS and EM, that way you can control which you use, or both.

SS will sweeten the entire mix, EM however can sweeten SOME notes of mixes, BUT, will mute if used to high, so use caution. Like @Rocky02852 said, EM is great for muting out rough edges when used properly. Sucralose doesn’t mute, and just sweetens everything up, but can toast your coils if used too high.

3 Likes