Tough Times Ahead for Europe

Lol, you might be right! Inflation is normally controlled by interest rates but it’s not the usual suspects that’s driving inflation so putting up interest rates will have no effect! Growing too quickly can increase inflation but we have an abnormal situation where we have no growth and will go into recession yet spiralling inflation so to come out of recession we need to stimulate growth but that will increase inflation further, then peoples wages need to go up to afford the cost of living which yet again will increase inflation even more, this is Europe not Zimbabwe, frightening times!

2 Likes

Tim, your winter season begin fairly close to us here in the states?

2 Likes

From what I’m hearing from friends up in the northeastern US(where I just moved away from), while not nearly as dire as your country, it’s generally in a malaise. People had a hard time paying heating oil bills last winter, and it’s about to start all over in a couple of months.

2 Likes

Yes same northern hemisphere season pattern, we line up with the North East of the states!

2 Likes

Yep over here three times the cost at the start of the winter and over 4 times the cost by Jan!

2 Likes

If people stopped listening to the media pricks the main cause of this .
My daughter is a head chef in a local pud restaurant in three days took 45 k
A friend of mine went to a theme park and said people spending money like it was going out of fashion .I went to town on the weekend the place was packed .the only people this is going to effect is the OLD and those on lower incomes the GREEDY ones won’t feel a thing
Sorry for the Rant but it do piss me off

2 Likes

Of cause not but for the working poor and oap’s etc the rise in inflation and energy bills are going to devastate them, to take 45K in three days that must be one very large pub or their prices means it’s the sort of place those this will affect wouldn’t be able to afford to go!

This covers a hell of a lot of people! I know from how inflation has affecting me and just how much I am putting on my electric key which is more than I did in the winter despite it being a hot summer, I dread when they next put it up which will coincide with winter, last winter I was putting on £80 a fortnight so if it’s gone up by what they say (I don’t get bills so can only judge by how long money lasts on my key) I can see me going periods without!

Sounds different to my town, the two closest pubs have already permanently closed while compared to pre-pandemic it’s a ghost town with as many boarded up shops as open ones!

It should be the main topic reported in the media because it’s going to cause homelessness and poverty (most importantly child poverty) at levels not seen in our lifetime unless there is “MAJOR” targeted help to both those on lower incomes and businesses!

3 Likes

All we can hope that they say there’s a package of help coming with the new pri minster

3 Likes

That Truss sounds like Maggie on steroids, believes the answer is tax cuts is, when actually that doesn’t help those in need but just makes her and her rich friends even better off! Doesn’t believe in hand outs unless it’s fiddling her own expenses!

2 Likes

Why’s it take so long for a new PM? Didn’t Boris resign in early July? A few years ago we would have had 5 PMs in that time. :rofl:

3 Likes

Because Conservative members (mostly greedy rich people who have 2 priorities, increasing their personal wealth and staying in power, the good of the common person and what’s best for the country is very secondary) vote on it so both candidates campaign but as mentioned it’s just approx 200,000 who decide not people like me! So Truss would be their ideal candidate, cutting taxes for the rich and f^^k the rest, survival of the fittest but the Sunak argument is they can cut taxes for the rich (themselves and rich friends) and f^^k all the rest at a later date because if they don’t give targeted help now they will get obliterated at the next election (when we all vote)! So they are choosing between how swiftly they can add those nought’s to their bank accounts and power, the greedy b^^^ards usually expect both!

3 Likes

Happy second anniversary at VC, Tim! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cheers mate!

3 Likes

@LEED I appreciate your feedback. I have heard much more to the contrary, but that is why I posted. I WANT to hear from you guys, who are over there. I never assumed it would be identical to all of you, but we need MORE people chiming in. I mean it’s vapingcommunity.co.uk, let’s HEAR from some MORE UK’ers. Keep the stories coming guys.

2 Likes

It‘s the war between Russia and Ukraine - Europe supports Ukraine with weapons, funds and humanitarian aide. The European Union also hit Russia hard with sanctions, so Russia reduced the amount of gas they‘re delivering to us by approx. 90%. Prices have exploded for everything, food, utilities, gasoline. 1 liter of gas was 2,08€ today, that‘s about 8,00€ for a gallon of gas, lol.

2 Likes

That put’s into perspective why Russia is clamping down on exporting to you guy’s. It appears that maybe it wasn’t a good idea to get involved in business with Putin.

Love him or hate him, he saw it coming …

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2018/09/25/trump-accused-germany-becoming-totally-dependent-russian-energy-un-germans-just-smirked/

2 Likes

1 Like

It was an early sign(in his Presidency) as to just what he’d be up against.

1 Like

Have EU countries supplied Ukraine with hardware recently then I don’t know about? It’s the UK and US that have been supplying all the weaponry, France and Germany promised things ages ago which the last I heard still in reality hadn’t been delivered!

2 Likes