Thunderhead Creations Artemis II RDTA review by Illogik

What’s up VC’ers? Today I’ll be checking out the Thunderhead Creations Artemis II RDTA which was supplied for the purpose of this review by Joyi from Sourcemore.

Specifications:

• 25mm Diameter
  • 44.5mm Height (with drip tip)
  • Material: Stainless Steel
  • 4.5ml capacity/5.5ml with bubble glass (sold seperately)
  • 38 air-flow holes, 18 per side
  • 810 Drip tip
  • Single screw to secure coils
  • Dual coil
  • Leakproof design
  • Ceramic coil clamping system
  • Gold plated 510 and squonk pins
  • Side/bottom fill
  • Available Colours: Stainless Steel, Matte Black, Gun Metal, Silver Black.

Package Contents:

• 1x Thunderhead Creations RDTA
  • 1x Spare Straight glass
  • 1x Coil cutting tool
  • 1x Spares bag containing:
  • 1x Allen Key
  • Warranty card
  • User Guide
  • Spare o-rings
  • 1x Spare ceramic clamp
  • 2 Spare springs
  • 2 Spare screws for the clamp, 1 hex and 1 crosshead
  • Small bag with 2x coils, 4 core fuse clapton SS316 ID 3mm / 0.30Ω
  • Squonk pin

The Artemis 2 by Thunderhead Creations comes with a ceramic coil clamping system which holds your coils securely in place easily while only needing to tighten a single screw.

It is 25mm in diameter so will fit most mods. As standard it has a 4.5ml e-liquid capacity which can be changed to 5.5ml with a bubble glass which is a separate purchase.

There are 38 large airflow holes, 19 on each side of the top cap providing more than enough air-flow options for even the most demanding of vapers. The air-flow is a side only air-flow system.

The easy access fill port doubles up to hold the top cap in place with a pin built into the top cap which fits snugly into it.

There are currently 4 colours available, which are stainless steel, matte black, gun metal and silver black. The one on review today is the gun metal version.

The Packaging:

The packaging is quite a small and very sturdy black cardboard box. On the front face filling up the majority of the centre is a see-thru section showing the enclosed RDTA. Above that is the Artemis II branding. Towards the bottom there’s the Thunderhead Creations logo on the left and the TNYVPS logo on the right, who this RDTA has been made in collaboration with, as you can see in the sentence below that across the bottom. The back of the box shows the same array of logos and a brief description of the contents across most of the top and at the bottom are the safety certificates.

On the sides we again have the THC and TNYVPS logos and authenticity panel.

Inside the box you’ll be greeted with the RDTA itself sat snugly surrounded by foam below the included spare straight glass.

Empty the box and you’ll have this little lot. The RDTA, a coil cutting tool, straight glass and the bag of spares:

Inside the bag you’ll find the user guide, warranty cards, spare o-rings, bag of 2 coils, squonk pin, 2 springs, 2 screws, a spare ceramic clamp and an Allen key.

The user guide is rather sparse on information.

The included coils are a pair of SSS316 4-core fused clapton with an ID of 3mm and around 3Ω of resistance.

Thunderhead Creations Artemis II RDTA

Here we have a shot of the RDTA. This is a top coil design with the build deck sitting above the juice well which sits at the bottom of the tank.

Up top we have the 810 drip tip.

At the side you can see the large air-flow holes. Nobody will be lacking for air-flow with this RDTA, is has it by the bucket load.

Down below we have the TNYVPS and THC logos and text above the safety certificates and serial number.

The top cap just pulls of to reveal the square block looking build deck inside. You can see the outlet for the air-flow holes in the top cap on the right. This directs air right into the sides of the coils. On the left you can see the build deck and the 4 holes for the coil legs sitting between 2 quite large wicking channels.

Here you can see the screw for the clamp system which can be accessed from the side once the top cap is removed.

Here on the inside of the top cap you can see the protruding shape that secures the top cap in place. This is part of the inner section which fits inside the top cap and turns to adjust air-flow.

Here we have the build deck and you can see the top of the screw which is used to secure the coils in place. On the right is the main body with the build deck removed. You can clearly see the hole the 510 pin goes through to secure the deck in place.

Removing the 510 pin from the tank allows you to remove the building-block-like build deck from the RDTA.

The build deck itself can be stripped down the fit a replacement spring or ceramic clamp using the included Allen key, which is also used to remove the 510 pin.

Lets get everything put back together and get a build going on this thing…

The Build:

Building on this RDTA is a breeze. Just pull off the top cap and loosen the clamp screw with the provided Allen key. Take your coils and cut the legs to 8mm. For this build I used the provided SS316 quad core fused claptons. Once the legs are cut, just drop them in the holes on the deck orientated so the cotton will trail out into the wicking channels. Hold the coils in place with a finger and tighten up with screw. That’s it. Strum out any hotspots and you’re ready to wick…

Wick fitted.

Then trimmed and feathered with tweezers, leaving plenty to reach the bottom of the big wicking channels.

One side tucked in…

Swiftly followed by the other…

Ready for the juice:

The fill port is rather small so probably idea for needle tip bottles. I did fill it with a 200ml chubby gorilla bottle but I had to hold the bottle upside-down to form a sort of seal to prevent leaking.

Tank filled and cotton saturated.

Top cap back on and we’re ready to go…

Usage:

The Thunderhead Creations Artemis II RDTA is a very good tank. The innovative clamping system works very well. There’s tons of air-flow to suit everybody’s requirements. Doing a build on here is super easy, cut coils to 8mm, drop in deck, tighten screw. That’s literally it. Very fast and easy.
The flavour is top notch as you’d expect having the coils so high inside the tank. It has a good size which makes it suitable for most mods. I’ve had no issues with it whatsoever in the time I’ve been testing it. It has performed flawlessly.

Pro’s:

• Good size, fits most mods
  • Great flavour
  • Innovative clamping system
  • 810 Drip tip
  • Large wicking channels
  • Gold plated 510 and squonk pins
  • Very easy to build on
  • Leak free design
  • Easy pull-off top cap for building/refilling
  • Tons of adjustable air-flow

Cons:

• Bubble glass is a separate purchase
  • Clamp system can be a bit fiddly to take apart
  • Holes for coil legs may be too small for larger, more extravagant coils
  • E-liquid fill port quite small
  • No cotton included

Conclusion:

I would gladly recommend this tank to anyone on the market for a new 25mm RDTA. It does it’s job very well. It holds both coils very securely with just 1 screw as advertised. Produces great flavour and is very user friendly. There’s really not a lot I can fault with it. Everything fits together perfectly and threads are all very smooth. There is everything you need included to get started with a build except cotton, which should really be in there in my opinion.

Thanks again to Joyi from Sourcemore for providing me with this RDTA for review. Joyi also provided me with a discount code which can be used to grab yourself a saving on one of these great tanks, the code is: ART2

Thanks for reading!

Illogiks Review Master List

7 Likes

Nicely done @Illogik, and great break down of the ceramics.

2 Likes

Thanks SD.

2 Likes

Nicely done sir. nicely done

3 Likes

Thanks @Dan_the_Man

3 Likes