Smok RPM 5 & RPM 5 PRO Review

Good Morning VC Today I will be reviewing 2 pod kits sent over from Smok

The RPM 5 & RPM 5 Pro are the latest in the RPM range from Smok

This is my first time experiencing any of the RPM line from Smok so let’s crack on and discover the
“**Next New Brilliance” **

Smok RPM 5 & RPM 5 Pro Kit Contents

• Smok RPM 5 / RPM 5 Pro device
  • 0.15Ω RPM3 Meshed coil (installed)
  • 0.23Ω RPM3 Meshed coil
  • Type C USB cable
  • User manual

** Specs & Features**

• Size: RPM5 – 89.2×31.2×29.5mm
  • Size: RPM Pro – 95.8×31.2×29.5mm
  • Output: 5-80W (0.8-4V)
  • User modes : Variable Wattage
  • Battery: 2000mAh (internal – RPM 5) / 1×18650 (RPM 5 Pro)
  • Display: 0.96in TFT colour screen
  • Resistance range: 0.15-2Ω (RPM 5) / 0.15-2.5Ω (RPM 5 Pro)
  • E-liquidcapacity: 6.5ml (standard) / 2ml (TPD)
  • USB Type C – 1.4A Max
  • Pods: Refillable replaceable coils
  • Coils: RPM 3 Coil range
  • Slide open top fill
  • Airflow adjustment
  • Child resistant pod design

Visually the main difference between the Pro and the standard RPM 5 is the size and batteries. The Pro being the taller of the two. The RPM 5 has an internal battery with a capacity of 2000mAh with the Pro variant uses an external 18650 battery. Both of these devices support USB-C charging with a 1.4A charging rate with the port located on the front of both devices so it can be charged standing up! This is a good thing read on to find out more…

On the bottom of No Battery door on the RPM 5 obv…but a protective rubber ring that makes it annoyingly rock from side to side when placing on a flat surface. Meanwhile, on the pro variant a very well-designed battery door which is easy to open and close.The battery orientation is clearly marked for you to see which way your battery should go in the device. As you can see from the pictures there are NO battery venting holes on the bottom of these devices!

The Devices do have some protections built in for peace of mind. I did find in the included literature that you should unplug the charging cable within 2 hrs of charging and DO NOT overcharge the batteries, so for those of you who overnight charge your devices eh maybe don’t do this.

I received the RPM 5 in Prism Rainbow and RPM 5 Pro in Beige White Leather and the RPM 5 range has 8 color options to choose from

The usual industry standard 5 clicks turn on/off Both RPM models and have an identical output range of 5-80W (0.8-4V) Holding down the +or- button and it will adjust rapidly in 1Watt increments and will round-robin. Holding the +&- buttons will lock the wattage adjustment while holding the fire & - will give you the option to reset your puff counter. Only Wattage mode is available on both devices which makes it a great starter kit for someone to advance into sub-ohm style vaping and not worry about settings and menus.

On the face of the RPM 5 is a large square indented fire button located below the chrome Smoke logo Peeling away the blue plastic screen protector reveals a 0.96in super bright and clear color TFT screen is easy to read and can be changed between 6 different colors by holding the +&fire button. The screen displays

• battery graphic & percentage
  • Locked/unlocked symbol
  • Wattage
  • Ohms
  • Volts
  • Puff time

The front and sides of the device are wrapped in spongey grippy leatherette material with a textured pattern on each side for extra grip. On the rear, you have more of that chrome branding and an AFC adjustment stick that adjusts the dual AFC intakes on the side of the device

Pod Tank

As stated in the specs the Standard version has a whopping capacity of 6.5ml! This is excellent tho if you have a TPD 2ml variant no worries as refilling is rather easy. Just look for the directional arrow indicator on the top of the pod and slide it open to reveal a fill hole with included gasket to prevent leakages.No fiddly flimsy rubber Gromit fill port here thank you Smok!. The Pod is not that dark so you can easily see your e-liquid level at a glance.

The pod tank is held in place with two magnets and gives a reassuring snap when you align it up with the mod. The coil is push to fit with a locking clasp that secures and holds it in place. This is the first time I have come across this on a pod device and I like it. For the 510 drip tip lovers out there sadly this top cap does not come with the option to replace the drip tip its an 810 style non-removable which may be a con for some.

From researching the included coils are a new RPM 3 range of coils, there are 2 resistances – 0.15ohm and 0.23ohm and both are included in the kit which are targetted towards sub-ohm style vaping.

Performance

With the RPM 5 and 0.23Ohm coil, I hit 185 on the puff counter at 33 Watts before needing to recharge the mod which took around 2hrs to reach 100%, Good flavor from this coil with very respectful saturated cloud production.

While on the RPM 5 Pro with the 0.15ohm coil at 80Watts this coil gives a warmer denser vape with slightly better flavor IMO. Battery life will be dependent on the quality of your cell.

Coil longevity well I reached 800 puffs on each type of coil and they are still lasting well, however…
I found the 0.23Ohm coil is progressively leaking since around the 4 fill and continues to do so.

Meanwhile, the 0.15Ohm coil holds up good with what I would say is condensation showing up when I remove the pod to check

Summing up

" GOOD DESIGN TELLS A LOT," says Smok on the release of these 2 new kits to the POD Kit / AIO market. Well, I think this is a great design for a pod kit. With a rounded ergonomic grip feel to it. A good choice of materials used and a bright clear informative display give overall pleasurable useability to either device.

Things I like

• Design, look, and feel
  • Simple UI
  • Easy top fill
  • Adjustable AFC
  • Easy to see liquid level
  • 6.5ml capacity on the standard version
  • Good quality battery door on the RPM 5 Pro

Things I don’t like

• No battery venting on either device
  • Leaking experience on the 0.23Ohm
  • No interchangeable drip tip

This is my first review post here on VC. I hope you enjoyed reading the review.

Thanks again to Smok for sending the RPM 5 & RPM 5 PRO over for review

7 Likes

Good job @Daredevil :+1:

4 Likes

Great review @Daredevil, and good heads up on the leaking as well.

5 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks SD

4 Likes

Thanks, and well done, @Daredevil ! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks

4 Likes

Thank you for your review @Daredevil. Pods are not my thing but I still enjoyed reading your review.

4 Likes