Pugsley finds the Aegis's soft spot and gives it a poke with the Geekvape Aegis Squonk Mod

Geekvape Aegis Squonk Mod

This…is the 5th time I have tried to dig deep into my cranium and attempt to pull out something, amongst all the broken biscuits and cartwheels, that might slightly resemble something new and entertaining , that may just stand a slight chance of peaking your interest with today’s offering…but I can’t fucking do it. It’s not writers block, as sucky as that is, it’s just…I feel like I’ve said it all before…

It was bound to happen sooner or later, I mean shit…I even said that this EXACT thing would happen when reviewing a different device last year, I remember the words vividly, like I said them yesterday…

“(something) when innovation is as good as this, then (something or other) all mods will have it and (something else about more stuff) and…things”

SO…maybe I did this?..Maybe I’m to blame for my impending doom and being stuck in some kind of alternative perpetual deja vu reality?..

Maybe this device is the black cat and I am actually Neo, and the Matrix is actually Shenzhen but on a much bigger scale, and the only thing that can break the chain is IF I make out with Trinity…? …I don’t know…I mean I’ll try for the sake of Science but…if that’s what I have to do then…who am I to argue…?

Or not…

SO…what indeed is the device that has me in such a quandary? Who made this thing that …although…I haven’t technically spoken about it before, I have on numerous occasions spoken about the design, the idea, the form AND the function in some iteration or another? Well…the answers to these questions and many more, including how Monica Bellucci deals with the unfortunate and embarrassing predicament of farting in a small room just before a group of people walk in…

will be answered…maybe…who the fuck knows? I’ve just written an intro about not being able to write an intro… so… anything is indeed…possible…when you think about it.

Shall we…before we all lose the will the live?

Welcome back unto the breach once again my misty mouthed mechanical maniacs, ’tis I once again, back with more utter nonsense that people STILL haven’t stopped me writing - THIS…is a mystery in itself, yet…here I am, and today for the first time in many years I am actually at a bit of a loss for words…

But hold your horses there cowboy, as the consummate award winning professional that I indeed am, I shall kick up my skirt, soldier on, and power through this mental blockade in a vain attempt to bring you something that closely resembles some…words…

SO…let’s get balls deep in what threatens to be several minutes of your life that you may well take me to court for in order to retrieve them…or will it?..The answer to this question and many more…wait I’ve already said that…do you see now?..DO YOU??..(sigh)…fuck it. Courtesy of my good friends over at Sourcemore , I present to you, the Geekvape Aegis Squonk Mod…

“But it’s an Aegis Squonk Mod…what’s the fucking problem??”…you may well and correctly ask, and you’re right, there is no problem, I mean not really, but then I never said there was a problem - I merely ‘suggested’ that almost everything about this device has already been said…BY ME…on numerous occasions, with different devices. Is that a bad thing?..Well, no, of course not, not for you anyway (debatable). But for me, who’s supposed to write an in-depth and vaguely interesting article about it?..Well…

You see my point.

It’s the Geekvape Topside. Let’s not fuck about here, let’s just call it what it is. It’s the first of, no doubt, many future devices which will have taken Brian Herb’s idea back to the drawing board, melded the exact formula to fit with their own device, and changed it enough so that no one will raise an eyebrow…

But there are variables, and it’s these variables that I will be poking my inquisitive and curious ‘thing’ into, repeatedly, until it succumbs to the mindless and quite frankly ‘barbaric’ onslaught of pokiness…

The Lowdown

The Geekvape Aegis Squonk is a single battery bottom feeder that can house an impressively gluttonous 10ml of liquid within it’s silicone propitiatory belly. It is kept in check by a restricted version of the AS chip found on most of the Aegis range, boasts an optimistic 100w output, has a resistance range of 0.05Ω to 3.0Ω, and has all the bells and whistles you will find on almost all up-to-date regulated devices these days, such as Temp control with settings for all your popular wires and safety settings to cover all bases etc…yadayadayada…you know the drill.

This device is of course an Aegis, and for those three people who vape but don’t know what that means, well…(sigh) it’s IP67 waterproof - it can survive being submerged in a metre of water for 30 minutes, is dust-proof, shock-proof, frost-proof, and zombie apocalypse-proof, meaning should you be approached by any blood drooling walking dead, providing you have a good aim…you could probably take out the zombie with it and still walk away afterwards vaping your little none-dead heart out…which…if nothing else…could save you a small fortune in vinyl…

As for the design, well…it’s all Aegis…

It looks like an Aegis, and it feels like an Aegis. In fact, the size difference between this and the Legend is about 5mm in height and width to its older bigger brother. It would actually be quite hard to distinguish between the two if you were carrying one around in your pocket.

Down the front is all very familiar too…

Except this time, stupidly, they have swapped the wonderful and iconic Aegis fire button out, and instead have gone for a ‘Princess cut’ gem looking thing, with matching function buttons…can’t say I approve…why would you do that Geekvape?!?

And on the opposite side we obviously have the squidgy little tum tum…

Like I mentioned earlier, this is propitiatory, so much so that it’s actually shaped to poke out of the cutout on the front by a few millimeters, and is even flat at the back, so there’ll be no using of your favourite custom squonk bottles should you damage it. Thankfully however, you get two.

Up on the top we have a very nicely bolted 510 plate…

This is more reminiscent of the original Aegis than it’s more recent versions, and just like the original will take a 28mm top no problem. Of course, with this being a squonk mod, it also has the added seal ring to prevent any leakage under pressure. I very much like this plate…but not quite as much…as I like what’s behind it…

Peekaboo…

What Geekvape have had the arrogance to do, is take the whole Topside idea and then declare amongst themselves…“I think we can make this area better”…

And you know what…they actually did…please don’t tell Brian Herb I just said that…

Now…I’m a huge Topside fan. I have the whole collection, and the original one is the ONLY single battery device that I use regularly - it’s a hell of a device, and I am in no way saying that the Aegis is better than the Topside (we’ll come to the reasons why shortly), but the filling method on the Aegis is just so quick and simple. There’s no unscrewing of any lids which you then have to keep in your hand or clipped onto the magnet underneath. With the Aegis it’s just a quick slide, inject in the membrane…

(ahem)…sorry… then just slide it shut…bish bash bosh, job done, it’s just…better? (sorry Beryl)

The Specs

Parameters

Dimension: 87.7mm × 30.9mm × 53.5mm
Liquid bottle capacity: 10ml
Output power: 5W - 100w
lnput voltage:3.2V - 4.2V
Output voltage: 0.1V - 8V
Minimum voltage: 3.3V ± 0.1V
Longest vaping time: 10s
Resistance range: 0.05ohm - 3.0ohm
Charger voltage: USB Micro 5V 1.5A
Battery specification: 18650 (single battery not include)
Display screen: 0.96inch (black and white screen)
Thread: 510

It comes with

• 1 x GeekVape Aegis Squonker MOD
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x Spare Bottle
  • 1 x User Manual
  • 1 x Tool bag

Final Thoughts

Okay…here we go…my final thoughts on the Geekvape Aegis Squonk would be thus; it’s probably the only contender to the Topside on the market right now, that much is abundantly clear. It’s an Aegis through and through, and is therefore more than likely the most durable single battery squonker available. It’s also incredibly comfortable to use and behaves in the same way we have come to expect from Geekvape’s iconic series of devices, and also… it simply has to be said, that the top fill mechanism is a thing of sheer beauty and a major upgrade when compared to it’s main competitor.

However…

There are three major points I have purposefully left out in order to talk about them in this part of the review, and it’s these very reasons which have me scratching my perplexed noggin.

Firstly, yes, it is a single battery device, nothing new there, the market is positively sodden with single battery squonkers. But what I didn’t mention is what single battery it is…and that’s because it’s an 18650…NOT a 21700 like the Topside. What does this mean?..Well…for a start you’ll be damned lucky to get anything near the claimed 100w max power output from a brand new top shelf 18650, and secondly if you did run this thing flat out…which you will…if you got it in it’s kit form with included dual coil Tengu RDA…then you’ll be lucky to get a couple of hours run time out of it…tops. What’s utterly confusing here is that there is clearly room in the Aegis Squonk for a 21700 if they made the battery tube wider and long enough - the difference in size is not huge, and at least then the max power would be achievable and you’d have an extra…what…500mah on average extra life?..Bizarre choice Geekvape.

Secondly, yes…it’s nice that you get an extra bottle in the kit, chances are at some point you’re gonna need it given that this is an Aegis and therefore will probably last you a long time. However, with the Topside you get an extra bottle which you can actually fill, put the lid on, and keep in your pocket for a quick bottle change/re-fill - it’s incredibly easy to do, literally pull it out and slide the new one in…but with the Aegis…changing the bottle is actually a pain in the dick - you almost have to take the top fill mechanism apart to do it, and it’s probably a 10 or 15 minute job…fuck that process.

And finally…the Aegis Squonk is modular, you can convert it with a battery cover which changes it from a single battery squonker, to a straight up single battery device.

No…the original Topside doesn’t do that…but the new Topside Lite does, and I think the Aegis beat the Topside with this particular punch by quite a few months too. However…it kinda feels like the guys at Dovpo have stuck their finger up at Geekvape here, by taking this idea…and just as Geekvape have with the top-fill…made it better. To do this on the Aegis involves a little bit more tearing apart, by unbolting the outer metal frame and screwing it all back together again, whereas with the Topside you just have to unscrew the fill tube and click the cover on…like I said…better. But that’s not the biggest difference here…the biggest difference is the fact that with the Topside lite the modular cover is included in the package, yet with the Aegis it’s an optional extra. I would be AMAZED if this optional extra sold well, and why?..because there is already a single battery Aegis device, which uses a 26650 battery and is, in my opinion, better than this one - it even has the original fire button, OR…you could even go for the Aegis Solo, another single battery Aegis that does use an 18650 (and the shitter fire button).

At least with the Topside Lite you’re creating something that isn’t available to buy, AND it utilities a 21700, a 20700 or an 18650…there is almost definitely a market for that, which is probably why it’s not included with the Aegis…confusion indeed.

That being said…IF…this were the only top fill single battery squonker on the market, it would have a place for me - it performs well enough for me to want to use it, and that’s with the Profile mesh RDA…

At least with this you get half decent battery life and performance that’s actually acceptable from a single battery, and the plus point here is that I’m not quite so gentle with the Aegis, I can use this at work without fear of it breaking. That’s not to say my Topside is fragile, far from it, but I know that if I drop it from any kind of height and it lands on a concrete floor then the chances are the bottom battery door will not fair so well…with this…I wouldn’t worry so much, and with the Profile 1.5 on the way…I can see this rig actually getting quite a bit of use.

The Price

At time of writing Sourcemore actually have the Aegis Squonk at a pretty incredible and vape budget twitching discounted price of 50% off, which makes it a measly £26.84/$34.70…this is less than half the price of it’s closest competitor and on that point alone I simply have to recommend it, yes it has its faults, but the fact that this device didn’t quite…for me anyway…measure up to the Topside, is very much reflected in the price, and so on that basis is very much worth a punt. Find that deal here…

Aegis Squonk Mod 50% off

To summarize…IF you are a die hard Aegis fan…of which there are many…including myself, and you’re after a single battery squonker, then you can make this work AND…you’ll probably love it, you even get a wide choice of colours to choose from…

And at that price…you really can’t argue too much.

Jesus Christ…for someone who was apparently lost for words at the beginning I sure can go on with myself…oosht.

As always the doors over at Steampugs are open 24/7, so if you like what you’re reading then please feel free to peruse the site where you will find a plethora of write ups from myself as well as the other reprobates I like to call my friends.

And if you’d like to come and chat to us in person, as well as whole host of other like minded miscreants, then head on over to the little corner of the Vapeverse we like to call our home, it’s free to sign up and promises a warm and drama free welcome, as well as the use of a rather nifty little mixing calculator…find us here…

Vaping Community - Forum

Until next time

Pugs.

11 Likes

YES, that is how I am still using mine. The synergy between the 2 is excellent and if you use the Vandy Vape SS316L 200 mesh the Aegis does a great job with TC at 450F/60 watts. It is not the equivalent of a DNA in regards to TC for most builds but it’s faults actually make it great with SS mesh, at least with the VV 200.

If it only used a 21700 like you mentioned it would be one of my favorites. That said I still use it on a daily basis, Profile RDA on it 100% of the time.

Excellent review as always brother :+1:

4 Likes

Great review once again, cheers.

4 Likes

I have a hard time getting over being jilted by the GBOX. It started out so well. I really thought it liked me. We’d take long drives, long walks on the beach, we seemed to be as one. I was starting to picture our future together. Then it got up one morning and turned into the ugliest little creature I’ve ever seen. So until I get past my emotional hangups, Geekvape is out for me.

But a nice review!

5 Likes

I’m sorry what…?.. :neutral_face::thinking::man_shrugging:… Just fucking words dude… Is the answer 42?..:thinking:

Ahh right gotcha, that I understood :grin: why thank you kind brother for your kind and complicated words/spells probs…
:joy: :ok_hand::beers:

4 Likes

Cheers @Tworrs :wink::+1: much appreciated brother :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Man… I fucking hated that thing, its at the back of a drawer somewhere where it belongs, shocking device.
I feel your pain :pensive:

But thanks :grin::+1:

4 Likes

Somehow I missed this (older) one @Steampugs, but even with THAT out of the way, it is, and was a great review, with stellar pics too boot. Of course, one could not NOT respect the “Insane In The Brain” as well.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers Dman :wink: :beers:

1 Like