Publishing recipes that are not yours

Thoughts and opinions welcome, and I am sure I will have some people not like this, but if you did not develop recipe you should not post it as public under your name unless you get permission from the creator.
Lots of behind the scenes dislikes of this and I thought I would bring it out in the open.

7 Likes

I have to agree… Links to the originator and making comments on said mix is ok by me but publishing under your name is not kosher in my books

5 Likes

I’d be pretty annoyed if it was one of mine done without permission tbh. It should be up to the mixer if they want to publish on any particular platform.

5 Likes

What is really annoying is when the mixer is on the site already. Come on.

5 Likes

This is an ongoing annoyance to some, but not much you can do. Recipes of any type are not easily proven as intellectual property. I in the past gave credit to the person I used as an inspiration on the tweaks I did to improve a mix for my taste. Now I avoid it by keeping them all private.

6 Likes

Absolutely I have done that and I always encourage mixers to do that with my recipes. And even when someone inspires a mix that I do, but recipe is totally different, I still give credit to that person out of respect and as a thank you.

4 Likes

Hasnt that always been the Golden Rule ???

6 Likes

When I find a recipe that’s outstanding, many of which are on other sites, if publicly shared already, I share again, with all credit, link backs, and original creator comments.

2 Likes

Ok I’m a little confused, is some ppl posting recipes as their own when actually it’s somebody else’s?
And would the creator actually give permission to do this if asked, I know I wouldn’t. Not that anybody ever asked me to steal my recipe :man_shrugging:
I think I have seen this on another recipe site, and the come back was if it’s public it’s fair game ( although I disagree with that logic)
I myself have adapted a total of 2 recipes with full credit to the originator, although truthfully I did not ask for permission beforehand :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

As courtesy do you ask the mixer if you can do this? I normally do not say much, but when I have many people coming to me asking my thoughts on this, I will post about it. Me personally, I encourage anyone to adapt any of my recipes; however, if I am on VC, and have not posted a recipe here yet, please don’t post it without asking if I want to post it myself, common courtesy.

3 Likes

If I post in a “What are you vaping now” type of thread and someone asks for the recipe I will always post a link to the creators post, not where I have it stashed here or ELR. If a recipe has my name, it has come from one of my feeble thought processes. If it is not mine it is marked private.

That, in my mind, is just common courtesy.

4 Likes

This will be addressed further over the coming months along with a ton of other issues I’m seeing :+1:

6 Likes

That has typically always been the way to go …

6 Likes