Priming a coil or soaking the tank for 10 minutes?

I have been following online advice by squeezing a couple of drops of liquid into the holes on a new coil before attaching it to the tank.

However, since I am also in the habit of leaving a freshly filled tank with a new coil to stand for 10 minutes before use, to ensure liquid soaks into the wick fully, doesn’t this make the above unnecessary?

Can I dispense with manually squeezing liquid into a new coil?

4 Likes

Yep you can stop dropping down the top but it doesn’t hurt at least you know that the mesh or coil has got some juice on it a dry hit is a bitch short puffs or lower wattage to start then build it up till ya got what ya need

5 Likes

Thanks.

5 Likes

I’ve never done this on subohm coils, pod coils, etc… All you need to do is add a few drops in each hole around the coil and one or two from the top, put the coil in the tank and take a few pulls without the fire button and it’s good to puff… I’ve never let a coil sit for 10 minutes with juice in it…

If you really think about it cotton is absorbant, once it gets wet it will spread outwards… I guess if you’re new knowing the right amount as you can’t just drench it but yeah the 10 minutes thing has always been a weird one.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I can’t understand how putting a few drops of liquid on the coil is necessary when a clean empty tank is going to be filled so that all the holes in the coil will be covered. Waiting 10 minutes should ensure that the wick is well soaked before you begin to vape.

I didn’t come up with the idea of a 10 minute soak. When I started vaping, I began with a vape in the shape of a pipe. Never really took to it, and I don’t use that particular vape any more. However, there was nothing in the instructions about priming the coil before fitting it. I was instructed to fit the coil in the tank, fill it and leave it for ten minutes as the coil would then have been primed.
If a couple of drops of liquid primes a coil, then surely the coil being completely submerged in liquid for ten minutes would mean much more liquid would be absorbed into the wick.

5 Likes

It will wick if you want to cheat put the coil in fill with juice and suck it hard (pause for effect) put it on ya mod lower watts short pulls way ya go it’s only cotton

4 Likes

Yep, when I started with stock coils I know it was said they needed priming and/or leave the liquid filled tank for a few minutes but I didn’t bother with all that, I did exactly what you mentioned, took draws without firing and the bubbles that followed were confirmation that liquid was being drawn into the cotton, it only took 3 or 4 hard pulls and good to go. Whatever the method used the key thing to do is what you mentioned a couple of times, start on a much lower wattage than you intend to vape at and increase the power as you get confirmation it’s saturated and wicking fine, this way if the worst happens and you do get a dry hit the power won’t be high enough to run the coil hot enough to burn the cotton so the coil will still be saved!

5 Likes

Thanks for all the useful advice.

5 Likes