[POLL] Do VG/PG ratios affect the flavour in vapor? Why?

What are your thoughts on this?

• Yes
  • Not Sure
  • No

0 voters

When you use higher VG e-liquid you produce more vapor, could that vapor carry more flavour?

4 Likes

From everything that I’ve read, PG is a far superior “carrier” for flavors, while VG is vastly inferior. VG heavy or VG Max mixes take a lot longer to mature because of this.

7 Likes

I have vaped max vg, for years. I do not see enough difference myself but I do have a compromised taste disability

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’ve read too and I agree with that as far as carrying the flavour in liquid form but what about the vaper, could thicker “clouds” yield more flavour then thinner ones or is it more likely that the flavour is the flavour, regardless.

2 Likes

I like this theory!
It may take longer to blend the lighter flavours in higher VG but once the flavours there. It’s there :grinning:
And it’s all about the clouds :rofl:

4 Likes

Not sure, yeah have heard PG is a better flavor carrier as stated above, I mix at between 30/70 to 20/80 (pg/vg)and can’t see any difference, as long as the steep time is sufficient.
I was always told the Cloud Chasers sacrifice flavor, whatever the heck that means, but hey who don’t like clouds (oh yeah, my wife :wink:)

3 Likes

PG gives you throat hit and more flavour, VG gives you more cloudage and a smoother, kinder vape.
I tend to hover around 70/30, but lately Iv’e been using a 70/30 pre mix base, so with the flavours and Nic being PG it’s ended up being 55/45(ish) I don’t mind it so much as I’m using tanks more these days than I used to, but for drippers I prefer more VG, I don’t think I’ll buy this premix base again.
Flavour doesn’t dissolve into VG in quite the same way it does with PG, so it needs longer steep times (for those without a GC)

5 Likes

Well maybe the more accurate statement would be the higher PG will give you punchier flavors, whereas higher VG (as Pugs said), smoother flavors.

This then, leads to the next BIG question, about what TYPE of flavors benefit from which ? Bakeries/custards VG, fruits PG ??

4 Likes

You could start a new topic with that :smirk:

4 Likes

I have over the years tried many different ratios and there is no difference for me in flavour intensity. Game Changer aside higher VG just takes longer to homogenise.

5 Likes

I mixed and sold a lot of juice for a bit. I had a friend who vaped max VG only. I had a few mixes I vaped regularly at 70/30, and when I made them for him, I could tell the flavors were subdued.

4 Likes

I’ve gone from being a pod type user to a sub ohm tank rig, and apart from flavour intensity due to the different vape styles (DTL v MTL) used, I do not actually notice a difference in the actual flavour itself. The only time I have actually noticed a difference is when I had filled my pod once with 80/20 liquid that is not designed to be vaped at such a low wattage; that tasted nasty, but it was not due to the juice being different, just that the pod was not designed for it.

I’m only 3 months or so into giving up, so my tastebuds are probably still a bit funky, but if I take a MTL sip from my sub ohm tank to test a flavour profile, it doesn’t differ too much from a 50/50 liquid in my pod. :thinking:

3 Likes

Pods will not wick fast enough with higher vg liquid they will also not work well with complex profiles since they are far less powerful than a sub ohm set up - pod juice is a different beast all together it needs more PG and more flavouring to get even a hint of what the juice is meant to taste like

5 Likes

Shit, a THIRD monkey wrench in the poll. Heat/Power …

Well maybe not monkey wrench, but more variables than not…

5 Likes

I wouldn’t consider it a monkey wrench, since the question is specifically about PG/VG ratios. I think we all know for a fact different devices will alter flavors. Hell, I have had flavors completely disappear on a weaker device, while others in the same juice still remained decent.

4 Likes

For regular, standard flavors.

Dealing with some ultra manufactures, or flavors with an “alcohol” base, the steep time is far less.

and I do agree… what you vape out of does matter too :smiley:

4 Likes

I don’t like massive clouds so 70/30 is where I stop in terms of vg.

4 Likes

PG is a flavour carrier but i am also PG intolerant to some extent so juices that are 60/40 or higher i struggle with. I can manage 70/30 but i always aim for 80/20 or i get a sore throat.

3 Likes

One thing most don’t consider when contemplating this is high VG juice doesn’t wick as fast as juice with more PG. While I have not researched this theory, it makes sense. And I am willing to bet that vaping a 50/50 bottle vs the same size bottle of max VG, the 50/50 bottle will be gone before the max VG bottle, puff for puff. So if that is true, you would be getting more flavoring in each puff.

These thoughts in my head are based on a max VG juice I just tried to vape in this Mfang setup of mine, that has trouble wicking anyway. But it is much worse with this max VG juice. The lack of flavor is really noticeable vs my Aromamizer with any juice, but this one made me think.

4 Likes

I usually vape 40pg / 60vg even 50/50. Nicotine 0.5 which I think is another important variable in taste …
I started with 3 of nicotine and I have been going down, and at the same time going up pg, due to the blow to the throat, but also because of the taste, it seems to me that a lot of vg makes the liquids very sweet …

2 Likes