Ogres Musical Adventures

Update to those following the saga contained within this thread.

I believe I have performed my last show. It was the band’s 25th anniversary and CD release party. On the plus side, we packed the house. Standing room only. Probably over limit. We played well. Our music was good. I was able to play both bass guitar and upright.

and now the rest of the story…

No vaping. Ok, I’m pissed off already. It’s “policy”.

At 66 the damn equipment is getting too heavy. One band mate, 65 hurt himself that night.
The other band that was our guest band was TERRIBLE! Rocky roley, let’s get drunk and play loud. I ended up wearing my in-ears all night long to block the noise.

The pop tasted like water with camel coloring in it. Cricket piss. I brought in my own pop. They had a fit about that.

I am 26 years sober and I have to admit I am intolerant of drunks. Drinking is fine but when you can’t assemble three words in your speech I’m done. This bar refused no one. They were in my face while playing demanding my attention. Outside in the “smoking area” they could barely stand up.

Outside in the parking lot a senior manager jumped into my wife’s shit for smoking. He got a damn good tongue lasing from me.

I don’t like bars. Not one bit. Drunken, musically illiterate morons wanting to monopolize my time.

Our fearless leader was called into the office four times because of your’s truly. Afterwards he told me he really wanted to play the bar again. I told him I absolutely would not. No worries, we can talk that frankly and I will stay attached to the band.

Had a two day hangover and never drank from that fiasco.

It’s time to cash out on gigs. Not angry at all about this, just not enough enjoyment to continue.

It’s time for someone else to put up with that shit.

4 Likes

WOW Walt, that sounds horrendous.
I really don’t blame you for calling it a day, I find I have little tolerance for drunks myself.
The time comes in life when you are more important than the rest of the crap that others try to lay on you, so do it your way :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you, Mr. Fog. I appreciate those words. We are definitely on the same page.

@anon96069639, You bring up a dimension I was unwilling to tackle. The bar atmosphere. This was a private gun range club. I support that. The place is good sized but built 'on the cheep" and it personifies a “good ole boys” watering hole. It needs funds. Hence opening “events” to the public. So we have the good ole boys carting firearms in and out of a back room during public hours and an all around dive vibe. I’m with you, I’ve played numerous upscale establishments and really enjoyed doing so but the “bar” scene is disgusting to me. Dirty, dank, and guttural. Perceive this as arrogant if you will but I have not spent over 50 years on my instrument to play in that environment.

We have a real dilemma here in S.E. Michigan. No bands are getting shows. It’s really dry right now. We have two members out of the four of us that will not continue unless we play out more so they are catering to anything they can get out of desperation. I just can’t stomach it any longer. I’ll probably take on some other little projects here and there like recording sessions and the like.

3 Likes