Morel time

OK I hope y’all like morels, because I love the $h!t out of em and I can’t wait to saute these little buaties

5 Likes

Oddly, I love mushrooms a LOT, and I get morels on my property, too, yet I have never attempted to eat them. Something I read about how they hold a lot of dirt and junk in the gills that I just can’t get past.

How do you clean them?

5 Likes

I like looking for them but I usually give them away. I can’t seem to get them clean enough for me. Snails, slugs, and dirt.

4 Likes

Yeah, that. Eek. I know that is an Ogre salad, but I am not an Ogre.

4 Likes

I don’t have any Morals…

6 Likes

Any good tip’s on cleaning them? I’ve tried soaking them in salt but that didn’t work for me.

3 Likes

I like cruising the back roads and look for wild asparagus too. Anyone else do this? Or is it just my country ass?

6 Likes

I don’t, but I’m not against it! Among my favorite foods are:

Portabella mushroom caps, with ginger, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and sesame oil, roasted over a charcoal fire.

Fresh asparagus, given the same treatment.

Perfect compliment to a grilled ribeye. Oh, I’m making myself hungry, and a little stimulated too. I better stop.

5 Likes

Well, to be honest, cleaning them is the hardest part. Mushrooms are like little sponges and water is usually anathema . I learned a new word, even though it doesn’t quite fit. Anywho, thats what sucks about morels. Water is needed.

How I do them. (not every body does it the same)

WATER… Personally I cut them in half, length wise. Put in colander , turn on water. I rinse and bounce? shake?
I then inspect or skip that and do it again. AT some point very early on, I soak with a bit (tsp) of salt and shake and shake. Check the water and keep doing the water and shake until you consider it edible. I do it pretty early on in the process.

A little dirt never hurt and the extra protein is healthy

Then finally ( after they dry somewhat) saute. Shall I keep going? I start with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. just enough to lightly coat the shroons. when almost done I add Butter. Real butter, cuz thats just who I am. Emulsification is a beautiful thing.

Then I eat baby eat and share with my loved ones.

Side bar.
You could always buy them from a fancy store and get them already clean. I don’t do that because I don’t have the flow.

5 Likes

I have that in my yard too

3 Likes

Ah, that’s what I tell the wife every time she says she has a headache.

I wouldn’t personally trust store bought to be sufficiently cleaned either to be honest. So how do they compare to portabellas in terms of flavor and texture?

5 Likes

I really can’t compare but I found them to be less mushroom(y)? than other shrooms. They take on what ever flavor you’re cooking with really. They’re not bad if you can clean them up good.

5 Likes

I would say portabellas are more earthy and meaty or mushroom(y)?

First and Foremost. Morels are a delicacy. (spoken with a haughty, no it all accent). I don’t know what came over me. Sorry.

I think if you go into your first taste with the delicacy thing in your mind, you will love it. I would compare it to the first time I had sushi. I should say good sushi. Your first experience should be savored and approached with… :thinking: preparation.

:tada:

4 Likes

OMG were those GOOD. OMG were those GOOD!!!

3 Likes

@Dan_the_Man I should mention that , those are probably the cleanest morel’s I’ve seen. They look good!!

3 Likes

e49

3 Likes

Morels and Pople-jacks. Pople-jacks are the “shelves” that grow on pople trees. Only grab the ones with fins underneath and get them while they are still “tender”. The ones that are smooth underneath will most likely kill you.

4 Likes

I love morels. The best way I have found to clean them is just the pressure of your water coming out of the sink and a soft bristle toothbrush if needed. I fry them in oil after breading them with half cornmeal and half flour mixture. Here is some pics lol

7 Likes

nice haul. May I ask where you got em? perhaps gps location?

Those are enormous!

3 Likes

southern Indiana, that will get you close enough lol

5 Likes