Mesh - how much better is it?

I don’t necessarily see mesh as better or superior but just different. I like it a lot and of course thought a lot more people would like it as much as I do. Not the case at all.

When I smoked, I would sometimes like a good cigar. I didn’t have any intention of giving up cigarettes, just liked something also delicious but different. My uncle loves good single malt scotch but sometimes imbibes in a premium vodka.

So my feeling about mesh at this point is that it has come a long way, is really good on the Kylin M, but I still use my traditional coil RDAs and RTAs all the time. Its a great addition to my vape collection and now good enough that I use it regularly, but at this point its not replacing traditional coils for me.

As far as mixing… just recently I have been running through my head that I should try altering some of my favorite recipes and tailor them to mesh. Mesh seems to amplify sweet, sour and fruits. I don’t know how it does with coffee, teas, custards etc… So after my next Nic Riv order, I will try straight fruit mixes or with very small amounts of additives. I mostly mix at 70/30 but have used 80/20 in the Kylin M and had no problems at all.

Like everything with vaping, you will have to try it, decide if you like it and if it has a place in your vape life.

6 Likes

Like @Jim22 said it is not necessarily better, just different. Not gonna replace my traditional tanks but I do really enjoy mesh as well. It can be a dry vape and wicking is much more critical with mesh than traditional coils. Depending on how I wick it can be dry or a little spit and moist, I try to get it in between.

The mesh used makes a big difference as well, the OFRF mesh is good but I have always preferred the Vandy Vape SS316L 200 mesh even if vaping in power mode. I just got the new OFRF SS mesh so going to rebuild both my Profile RDA, one with the VV 200 SS and the other with the OFRF SS and do a comparison for an upcoming review.

Like Jim mentioned the mesh seems to excell with fruit vapes. I have a strawberry/peach cream that tastes so much better in the Profile RTA than my traditional tanks. More brighter with the mesh, more laid back in a traditional RTA.

Might be best to start with the Profile RDA than either the Kylin M or Profile RTA, the RDA is an easier wick. The RTA’S take some time to get the wicking right, I saw Daniel DJLSB vapes say it took him 3 weeks to finally nail the wicking on the Profile RTA. For me it took 3 or 4 wicks to nail the Profile RTA, found rayon to wick the best. The RDA on the other hand was much quicker to get wicked right.

6 Likes

I have to agree that I have started switching to mesh.
Started with the Profile then the Profile Unity, now I have just received the Damn Vape Doom, and am totally impressed.
I have also been using the VV 316L 200 and am running all of them in TC.
Yes, I also still have the coil RDA’s running, but find that I reach for the mesh tanks and RDA’s more frequently.
Flavour is different in that it seems to enhance the complementary flavours, rather that just the main profile.
As long as you pack sufficient wicking under the mesh, I’m using plain old Muji.
I don’t try to thread the cotton through the mesh, but rather after glowing the mesh, I release one side and take a fat roll of cotton, place it under the mesh and holding it all down with a finger, fasten the other side of the mesh in place, wet it thoroughly and Bob’s your uncle.
YMMV but it works for me.

7 Likes

Whoa, how does it compare to the Profile RTA? Been thinking to try it and your comments may have pushed me to do so.

3 Likes

Personally I prefer the Doom, I’m loving the flavour using the VV SS316L, the draw suits me fine, and I found it quite easy to mesh and wick.
Admittedly I have only just received it, and am on my first build, but thus far I’m loving it.
To be fair the Profile is an amazing tank, but I think the Doom just pips it for flavour breadth.

5 Likes

Good to hear, gonna order one up👍 Thank you for the follow up.

5 Likes

I’d be interested in your opinion too. :smile:

5 Likes

Heh now I get to add @Tworrs to my enablers blame list. Just ordered the Doom because of you. Ok I was planning to order it anyways but it just feels right passing the blame to someone else :innocent:

7 Likes

Haha @Jim22 I can live with that :smile: I don’t think you will be disappointed though.

8 Likes

I blame @Tworrs too, he is a sneaky enabler, I don’t even know how it happened but got a confirmation of an order for (2) Doom RTA :thinking: Maybe Gary has this mind meld thing going on?

9 Likes

Be afraid, be very afraid :rofl:

6 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

Its Kanthal that comes with the Kylin M. Vandy Vape makes rolls of Stainless mesh that you will have to cut to size. OFRF is making SS mesh strips but I am not sure they have hit the market yet.

A lot of places carry it, the consensus seems to be the 316 200 size:

6 Likes

I have been testing the OFRF SS mesh vs the VV 200 SS and the results have been pretty good so far. Was going to include it in my OFRF mesh subohm tank review but gonna do a separate review instead. So far they are pretty close, the VV has a slight edge in flavor, should be expected as it burns through juice faster so far. The OFRF has been a more consistent TC vape though, have to drop the VV to about 390f where as the OFRF does a lot better at my normal 430f. Just a little more testing, have the OFRF in my Kylin M as well but yeah, they are really close, good problem to have

6 Likes

I don’t have the Kylin M so am not sure on the correct wicking for it, however on other mesh units I have actually used my wicking method with two agleted pieces of cotton together, which worked very well.
Personally I prefer the Muji pads, and use most of a sheet in a Scottish roll style.
That is just what suits me though :smile:

7 Likes

So I have altered my mixes a bit to hopefully work better with the mesh. Mostly all I did was reduce any sweeteners or candy, reduce the fruits but increased the sours by 0.25%.
I can say that I have never had such good tasting juice. The downside is that these mesh tailored juices aren’t as tasty with conventional coils or even subohm coils. I have to admit I am using mesh more and more. So far for me, there is a definite way to mix better for mesh, but the downside is that it might not work better for everything. I am not sure how I feel about mixing different recipes for different tanks, but time will tell.

6 Likes

These are pretty good. I think I still like the VV 200 mesh just a little better but these are really convenient. Use the drop down box and you can select SS316. I am sure a lot of retailers carry them.

4 Likes

Your right on regarding juice, I have one that tastes so much better in a mesh tank but not as good in my traditional tanks.

I love how long mesh builds last too, I can sometimes go 3 weeks or longer with a mesh build depending on juice.

6 Likes

OFRF is now available in SS and I like it a lot more than the kanthal version. I like the OFRF SS better in the Profile RDA, less spity, but still prefer the VV 200 in a RTA.

6 Likes

For me mesh has been a game changer.
The problem being that I keep buying more RDA’s and RTA’s, as and when I become aware of new one’s :grinning:
The conundrum is that I find flavours are perceived differently on mesh, so it could well be that I will have to mix juice for both mesh and non-mesh atty’s.
My go to mesh is still the VV SS200, however I also have the SS150, SS300, SS400, and all of them perform very well.
Thus far I have yet to try even the mesh supplied in the box of spares, as I just enjoy the VV mesh offerings so much, and the fact that the mesh lasts so long, means I’m not changing the mesh very often.

7 Likes