Lipo batteries - dna upgrade recommendations

Afternoon all, hope you’re having a nice Easter. So, I have the Oni 167 and I want to use its brains (dna 250) to go lipo. It has the yellow connection ready to go and thought I would ask if anyone could recommend a good lipo battery manufacturer? Also, if its a 3s, can you go with as big a mah that will fit?

3 Likes

Why? 18650’s are much easier to carry a spare set and charge :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It’s to compare more than anything, I want to see how the performance differs between the lipo and the 18650s

I actually have a vt250 that needs it’s battery replaced aswell!

4 Likes

You’ll get lower voltage sag with a Lipo over 18650’s and raise the output voltage and your watts to the full 250. Oh, less runtime usually with a Lipo.

Output Voltage 9.3 Volts (3 batteries)/6.2V (2 batteries)

Yes, if it fits in the battery cavity, or you could remove/cut up that outer plastic ring of the body. I have run mine with a Turnigy 1300mAh Lipo in mine for a while. IIRC some 1100mAh should fit perfectly

Turnigy and Tattu are both well rated. That yellow connector is called an XT-30 and you’ll need one of those to solder in if the battery you choose comes with a different connector.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was looking at a tattu battery but didn’t want to pull the trigger without the nod from someone in the community. If it doesn’t fit it gives me an excuse to come up with a new enclosure for it :joy:

5 Likes

Yes, But the mAh will be determined by how much room you have. Are you planning to hook up the balance charge plug as well so you can charge thru the USB? The wiring diagram can be found off the Evolve site.

I generally use Turnigy Nano-tech but it will depend on the space you have. I have looked at getting a Zippy Compact as they are a little smaller but I have not pulled the trigger or tested them as yet.

As @Wayneo mentioned you will increase your top power

7 Likes

It’s already there and ready for an easy swap. :smiley:

@woftam My reference mod was actually built with a Turnigy Bolt 1000mAh 4S 15.2V 65~130C High Voltage Lipoly Pack (LiHV). These LiHV batteries can charge to 4.35V BUT the board balance charger limits them to 4.2V each. That gives me the benefits of ‘Max recharges’ and the full 16.8V when fully charged. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Your DNA250 can take advantage of a 4s Lipo. I was looking at the Graphene ( for my device. the JST- connector is removable on it, and they didnt take that into their advertised measurements, and it wont fit properly(wont clear the plug on the end of my 250S board). That would be my first choice. Ive had good success with Gens ACE, and, of course, my MaxAmp 4s 2250 100C has a lifetime Warranty ($$). I know you can google reviews, but this is the Graphene I have to send back for size probs: Great Battery with great reviews, Im told.

14.8v with the 4s, and the 2 2200mah batteries last me all day long. same as the MaxAmp .https://www.ebay.com/itm/234488236297?hash=item3698968909:g:WcQAAOSwghBiRSJF

3 Likes

I already have a 4S Lipo in one. But the OP can only use a 3S Lipo in his.

His is the older, non color board.

3 Likes