Let’s talk Guitars!

That’s probably why there isn’t a single good martin manufactured after early 70’s :smiley:

4 Likes

That PRS styled guitar next to the tele tho :slight_smile:

I never lied the shape of telecasters but that second guitar is gorgeous :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I need to win the lottery so I can have enough money to get @anon96069639 to come out of retirement and build me a custom bass :slight_smile: Wondering what instruments everyone here plays and of course lets see some pics please!

3 Likes

None of mine are pretty and I don’t even have any pictures. They’re all work horses. A couple are retired, an old Music Man Stingray and a real old Peavey. The three I use are a Warwick Thumb bolt on, a Schecter fretless, and NS NXT EUB. Wait… I lied. I have this pic where I grabbed the Peavey for the pic.

Oh crap, and this one with the EUB…

5 Likes

How do you like the Stingray? I came real close to buying one a few times. I like the Leo Fender story, but not necessarily the Fender designs or feel.

2 Likes

It has it’s place. Unfortunately a place I no longer am part of. I played it for about a dozen years with a 17 piece big band. Strung it up with some fairly light flats. It fingers pretty good and by rolling the strings I could get a fairly convincing period sound. Tonal variety is limited regarding the pick-ups and pre-amp. Well balanced.

4 Likes

Here are my babies. Standing from left to right; Electra Anniversary Edition circa 1981, 1965 Vox Cougar, BC Rich Warlock, BC Rich Ironbird, Aria Pro II ZZB Custom, Vantage acoustic electric 6 string.
On the floor; BC Rich Mockingbird and Vantage 6 string. I love playing bass, I am not a 6 string player, but need them to compose. My big fingers fumble around on those tiny strings.

5 Likes

I never cared much for guitar. Pretty weird now that I’m in a band that is just guitar, keys, bass, and drums. Our guitar player is exceptional and can really make some wonderful sounds. I’ve always been bass. I started out on the upright. Transitioning to a bass guitar was pretty strange for me. Big mental block there. Finely made peace with the thing and all was well.

4 Likes

I grew up in Kalamazoo. Everyone knew somebody that worked at Gibson. They weren’t really known for their basses and I didn’t really care for them although I would love to have a Thunderbird and Les Paul Bass. It was almost like sacrilege if you didn’t buy Gibson. But I am not about convention and you can see I like different styles of basses. Our house was about 1/2 mile from Bigsby, the vibrato, tremolo maker. I didn’t even realize what they made until I was a teenager. We also had ProCo cables and GHS strings nearby.

There was always just something about bass with me. The thunder and vibration and the punch in your chest. That round bouncy groove sound or that feeling when you connect with a drummer that gets you and it all clicks.

4 Likes

I have a dog whistle but you can’t hear it which is for the best as I have the musical ability of a rock.

6 Likes

Well, someone here is a BC Rich fan :slight_smile:

I limit my pointy guitars to Dean, Jackson and Chapman

The bass that I played the most is the fender in the rack. It’s been in the family since 1962. Back in 2001 it took a nose dive from 3rd floor (angry wife (now ex wife) threw it out) that shattered it’s neck, and now it has a replacement neck from a 1998 mexican fender (good fit actually)

The one I play the most nowdays is the fender resonator in the back of the rack

5 Likes

All of my instruments have nicks and dings. I’m tired at the end of a show and things get bumped. All part of being a geriatric musician I guess. Been lucky with wives and busting shit up. Never drug one home that did that. My current wife’s dad was a musician so she gets the territory.

4 Likes

Bullet in a guitar is tough :slight_smile:

My ex did a lot worse than break that fender’s neck. She got most of my guitar collection in the divorce. There were over 20 50’s and 60’s fenders and gibsons there …

3 Likes

I appreciate collectors for what they do. Some of the instruments you have shown are simply works of art in themselves. Were I to be of the nature to collect, I surely would not take them to a club or to a festival or for that matter any show. Where my interest lies in regard to your talent is exactly as you have stated. The neck and the frets for those instruments that have frets. Distance of the strings from the neck, relief of the strings on the neck, intonation across the length of the neck, the contact between the string and fret. Those are the Guru abilities of a luthier that I cherish. It’s 100% about the fingers for me. I don’t use pedals or effects. I use tone adjustments only to highlight what the instrument does best. I’m contemplating taking a drive to your neck of the woods and seeing what you think about setting up the Music Man for slap. I’ve not pursued that technique much as I can get a passable sound for show with what I have but I know there is a whole other world out there.

4 Likes

Visiting you would be much more fun. I’ll stop before I get there for a good meal.

4 Likes

One of the music stores in Kalamazoo had a Heritage that I think they used as a display model to get you to order one. It was a beautiful double cutaway. I never played one of their basses and never even saw one in person, but I know you could special order them.
I did talk to and play with a few guitarists that played them and they loved them. I think Heritage was freed from the commercial corporate limitations of Gibson and the guys there added that next level of craftsmanship.

3 Likes

That’s an understatement! LMAO.
I’ve owned and/or traded more gear than many I’d wager… But yeah. I’ll have to see what i can dig up (pics wise) the next time I’m at the house! :wink:

Unfortunately, I lost a ton of pics of older gear when I lost an 8 gig hard drive due to the main pcb frying (and before I we had the tech to recover) back around 2000. :confused:

3 Likes

Yep. SO much truth! I’m Fender certified (Silver) on electrics, acoustics and elextronics (never had call to go higher with the resources at the place I was working at the time)… But I got to train with Benedetto and a couple older industry names, and it was an amazing experience! Really made me wish I was in the industry proper (as opposed to schlepping at a [albeit respected, and established] local music store). I just knew I could do SO much more, if I had access to the proper tools, and could get paid for moving…

Anyways, yeah, it’s amazing the life that can be breathed into an otherwise lackluster instrument with the proper TLC!

3 Likes

Last rehearsal we nailed “use me up” and I think I’ve got the guys talked into “Pappa’s Got a Brand New Bag” next. Keyboardist saz the horns are no problem and already informed me he found a good chart. Really diggin gettin some funky, open, airy tunes in the mix. Had a great mastering session with the band on Saturday and got six songs finished off. Have a little break right now until the holidays for shows which is nice. “Use me up” is tits on the upright. Hopefully we can run off a recording soon.

3 Likes

“Detoilet” Classic!!! :rofl:

3 Likes