Let’s talk Guitars!

Gorgeous!

Maximum I ever did to follow my dream was taking a year break from the hi-tech industry and working as a tech in a guitar store (i can do killer setups and minor repairs)

I also ‘built’ a few guitars for myself and friends as long as ordering parts from warmoth and assembling them can be called building :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If I fitz I sitz

7 Likes

Fantastic work!

4 Likes

Awe, Little stinker gonna help?

4 Likes

What a bi-line!!! With that pic!! Gotta put that in your shop. That is classic!!!

4 Likes

You made instruments for The Stray Cats? Legend!!

4 Likes

Damn fine work👌 what kind of wood is that?

3 Likes

It almost looks marbled, I was thinking some exotic species. Absolutely gorgeous man! Ever thought about doing wood box mods? Maybe some pearl inlays or foil? That would be awesome!

3 Likes

I wish I could sit still long enough to accomplish something like that.

2 Likes

A good friend of mine builds violins and cellos. most of the work is waiting for the glue to dry :slight_smile: (joking of course). The amount of craftsmanship that goes into a good acoustic instrument is astounding

4 Likes

I can’t even imagine…

2 Likes

I used to hang out at his place a lot and help out with odd jobs here and there and had the time of my life. I even helped with two guitars he built for his son.

The solid body electric he built was relatively easy. It’s basically a slab of wood.

The archtop he built was a whole different story. Carving the top and the back took at least three weeks, and hand varnish and polish took almost 2 months. Needles to say, the istrument he built is something I still drool over when I see it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s definitely an amazing skill to have. An art form for sure…

2 Likes

Wish I had it as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I see your point… It would just be nice to see some craftsmanship instead of machined or stamped stuff, you know… But I guess in this day and age your right… It’s a shame really

3 Likes

Much, much, better topic! Heaven Gifts is boring. SOS. This is much more interesting!!

3 Likes

I used to be master derailer in the past. I guess title rightfully belongs to someone else now :smiley:

3 Likes

No idea who changed the title, but I like it.

3 Likes

I did it. It was obvious in which direction this conversation is going, and I definitely like that particular direction :smiley:

4 Likes

I strongly believe that CNC has it’s place in guitar manufacture, especially when you are making solid wood instruments. They can spare a lot of time with rough cutting, shaping, sanding, not to mention precision cutting of fret slots.

But there is a limit to what they can do, and the best instruments will be always hand finished, hand painted (with properly nitro cellulose lacquer in extremely thin coats), frets will be manually pushed it, leveled, crowned, and the instrument will be manually set up to perfection.

This can work to an extent with acoustic instruments, but only for cutting out necks and perhaps giving a rough shape to top and back plates. The rest is the proper art :slight_smile:

4 Likes