IJoy Captain 2 Subohm kit

IJoy Captain 2 kit

Many thanks to Lilia at Sourcemore for supplying the IJoy Captain 2 kit for review. These are my thoughts & opinions & I have no affiliation to Sourcemore.

IJoy have been around for a number of years & been at the forefront of innovation. The Captain range started back in 2017 with the release of the PD270, quickly followed by the Captain 18650. They have also added a Captain 1500 pod system as well as the Captain 2 mod. The Captain 2 is described as a military grade mode so is it a viable rival to the Aegis Legend or Max.

In the box

The kit comes well packaged with the colour of the mod depicted by the photo image on the sleeve. Remove the sleeve & you have the Captain mod & Captain V subohm tank sitting securely in a high density foam tray, underneath which is a box containing the USB B micro cable, X3-C1 coil, bag of spare O rings, manual & warranty card.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size: 136.852.233mm
Battery: Dual 18650 batteries
Output Power: 5-180W
Resistance Range: 0.05-3.0Ω
Screen Size: 0.96 inch
Material: Aluminium alloy & Silicone
E-juice Capacity: 5ml/2ml
Firmware Upgrade

PACKAGE INCLUDES:
IJOY CAPTAIN 2 BOX MOD
USB Cable
Captain V Tank (X3-mesh coil 0.15ohm pre-installed)
X3-C1 coil (0.4ohm)
Manual
Warranty Card

The Captain 2 mod

Already owning the PD270 I was keen to compare both mods. Dimensions wise they’re almost identical despite the Captain 2 only using 18650 cells compared to the 20700 in the PD270. Both have the large side fire button, 0.96” screen, up/down buttons below the screen & the USB port under these.

Immediate differences are the rubberised framing top & bottom, round navigation buttons & substantial USB port cover. The padded grips add to the feeling of robustness. The battery door feels more secure with a latch button and has good sealing, presumably to provide the “military grade” toughness. Although not carrying an IP rating there are no battery vent holes pointing to at least some water/dustproofing & this continues to the buttons. One positive change is the centred 510 from an aesthetic point of view. Operation is 5 clicks on/off, 3 clicks to the menu screen & use up/down button to navigate. In the menu you have P (power) where you have the choices of Normal, Hard, Soft & User to set a power curve. Wattage range is 5-180w. T gives the temp control options of SS, Ti, Ni, M1 & M2. M1 & 2 allow you to create profiles with power & temp settings. TCR lets you enter custom TCR settings for TC wire like NiFe30. Set allows you to set the screen time 10s, 30s or 60s. Last option is Puff reset. All selections being made with the fire button.

Captain V Subohm tank

The Captain V subohm tank accepts the full range of X3 coils, is bottom airflow & top fill. Airflow is via 2 cyclops holes with the AF control ring allowing a full range of control. Not particularly noisy airflow although it does whistle when nearly closed. Filling is achieved by unscrewing the top cap to reveal 2 decent sized fill ports. Capacity is 2ml with the TPD glass or 5ml with the included bubble glass. The X3-Mesh coil vaped perfectly well across it’s rated range with the sweet spot for me around 75w. I did push past the 90w & although too hot for me wicking kept up but for longevity around 70-75w seemed about right. The X3-C1 coil, again, gave a good flavourful vape.

Conclussions

I’ve enjoyed using the Captain 2 & Captain V tank. It’s a solid mod that, personally I prefer over the Aegis range for it’s ease of use & that big side fire button. It’s comfortable in the hand & battery life has been decent. Onboard charging is reasonably quick but as always, I recommend external charging over on board for safety. Menu is simple & easy to navigate. From off to ready to fire takes little over a second & fire button response is quick & solid. No nasty button or battery rattles.

Only real downsides are the poorly lit screen & aging UI. Nothing appears different from the PD270, shame considering that is 3yrs old now. Any tweaks seem to be behind the scenes. It’s a shame Ijoy don’t promote this with an IP rating as it would gain more sales but from use I’d say it’s there but unless verified independently an IP rating can’t be used.

As I have the original PD270 I did a side by side comparison using another subohm tank, same resistance but using 20700 batteries & found the Captain 2 compared well on battery life, not being as far behind as I thought.

Many thanks again to Sourcemore for providing this kit & for those interested the current price is $42.49 (ÂŁ32.46) IJOY Captain 2 Kit 180W TC box mod kit 5ml Captain V Tank . At that price a bargain for a solid mod/tank kit.

4 Likes

Awesome write up man, I was a big fan of the original, bit chunky, but a solid mod, nice job man, thanks for sharing it :ok_hand:t2: :beers: :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks bud. Just taking it nice & steady, don’t want to peak too soon :sweat_smile:
I like that this is a bit more substantial thant the OG. Shame it’s dropped down the pecking order due to Wotofos Dura :joy:

2 Likes

omg stop making me want stuff… :neutral_face: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

LOL next you’ll be calling me a tease :grin:

3 Likes

fucking fuckkk…I’m waiting on Antonio to send me that, looks sweet man :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

He told me he didn’t have any. All had been sent to BKS. I bought mine from Greyhaze but Washington Vapes are selling them as well.

2 Likes

He fucking better have some let me tell ya lol…he’ll get em eventually

1 Like

Limited edition & BKS bought all the stock. Unless they sell well there’s unlikely to be another run. Our US cousins ain’t happy but a couple on the group have purchased from Greyhaze to my knowledge. Only seen three in the wild, Joels, Flatcap vaper & the above.

2 Likes

Well that’s just plain flat out annoying, why would they do that…what utter bastards :rage: :fu:t2: :fu:t2:

1 Like

Likely didn’t want to end up with unsold gear with the PMTA. Wotofo aren’t putting any gear forward for licensing as it’s too expensive.

2 Likes

Nicely done, and I appreciate the honesty in the “real downsides”.

Hehe, blue with metal wick ropes looks goooood.

1 Like

Great review @nwhornet, thank you.

1 Like