I give you The Fifteen- oops... The Ten Commandments of Mixing!

Mel Brooks reference in the title if you caught it…

So, let’s examine some of the accepted cornerstones of DIY Mixing, and see how they stand up to scrutiny. Some will hold, some will not.

1.) Time steeping is the only way to properly mature a juice.

2.) Heating kills the mix- creates off flavors and kills off normal ones.

3.) Oxidation over time brings out the flavor of the juice.

4.) There is no such thing as a “Shake and Vape”.

5.) Surpassing the manufacturer’s recommended % alters the flavor and kills it.

6.) ‘Breathing’ some juices brings about better flavor.

7.) A juice profile will change several times throughout the time steeping process.

8.) Sucralose infused juices (or even Sucralose as a sweetener) leads to premature fouling of the build.

9.) A flavor will stop increasing in flavor at a certain percentage, and increasing it only leads to waste.

10.) Nicotine and flavor extracts should be refrigerated/frozen when not in use.

Yes, we’ve discussed some of these at some point. And yes, some are true for best practices. But I bet many are accepted as ‘fact’ due to generational group think, or at least go unquestioned because “everyone does it”.

Thoughts? Pick one, pick then all, and let’s go! Have another? Add it in!

7 Likes

I can’t agree with this since a few recipes I mix and vape often are true shake and vape. They are all simple fruit only recipes like pink lemonade, alien piss clone, and my all time favorite blue lush oneshot.

Nicotine absolutely yes. Flavors seem to be doing just fine in a dark cabinet on room temperature

3 Likes

I should have disclaimed, these are not necessarily my personal rules, just general rules the DIY community preaches to all comers.

5 Likes

And this preaching from ‘reputable’ folks results in people parroting back everything they hear and bullshit becoming ‘facts’ :smiley:

5 Likes

I find this one interesting too. Those who have taken the time to understand why maturation is needed (either heat or time), understand that the chemicals in the flavorings need to penetrate into the carriers (mostly the VG), and that needs some help. Yet, there are recipes I like that are mix-n-vape ready. Despite being all but wholly separate from the VG, a recipe still works. Why is that, he asks innocently?

3 Likes

I think manufacturers should be looking into this, personally. You’d think the vape industry has grown big enough to support vape-specific liquids. And not just for DIY; no doubt vendors would love to have day-one juices to sell.

3 Likes