Homogenizers and Random Thoughts

The one on the left in your photo looks almost conical, but I’m guessing that’s the camera’s fault.

My original post shows the one I use. I’m thinking it’s the same thing.

4 Likes

Hi @SthrnMixer do you remember where you brought the homogenizer FSH-2A? Is the team complete? Or just the tip, without the motor? Thanks in advanced

3 Likes

@gus-gus it’s comes with everything, motor included.

3 Likes

Thanks, Do you know a reliable place to buy it?

3 Likes

Purchased from Ebay. A quick search yields a number of sellers in the vicinity of $130 USD. Comes with motor on an adjustable base, plus a large and small homogenizer head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-High-Speed-Dispersion-Homogenizer-FSH-2A-Lab-Mixer-10-1000ml-US-Stock/254262374512?hash=item3b3337f070:g:3t8AAOSwNGxfDSIF

3 Likes

Thank you sir

3 Likes

If they are less expensive and look that cool Ill need to design build a cabinet. at the moment I have 4 sets of the 3 tier Chinese nail polish risers. they are too wide each to use in my current $5 rack … another day. I love the idea of aluminum rolling racks. time to workout the cost and project parts list? cool!

4 Likes

Well my 5mm brushed bearings finally arrived, so I can turn my potential spear chucker into something that I feel safe to use without protective gear so once I polish the fe burns I managed to make on my last improvement (heh) I will be ready to also show it in action.

One thing I have noticed, I had a small ball-bearing who’s job it was to simply hold the stator in the correct position when it is spinning. After seeing some comments on how the none-GB ones work I have come across something that has made mine even more effective (and I no longer have a little glob that is unmixed). If I leave a small amount of air between the bearing and the strator, then run the tool the sucktion causes the bearing to pull into the correct position, but also stems the flow uf juice “up” the shaft. This bascally means I can run the tool as fast as I like and I get no excess liquid drawn up inside the tool (apart from where I want to to be OFC).

This was actually found out by accident as the parts I had made have been cut wrong, and are in fact 5.05mm and not 5mm like I ordered… heh

5 Likes

Oy~! USPS Tracking says I’ll have my GC by Friday …so by Monday I should have my much awaited toy …I mean tool. I popped back in here at the VC, and I just finished reading this whole thread, because I wanted to see what’s what in GameChanger Land.

After 5 years of reading “opinions” about steeping and having a few of my own, turns out we were all retarded [apologies] …I mean GUESSING. Can we not just say “Steeping is a slow natural random molecular blending/bonding reaction in an e-juice over time” and that “a high RPM shear mixer can brute force steep 120mls of e-juice in 60 seconds”. A Fact and not an Opinion?

I haven’t read ONE review of this thing that said “nope, doesn’t work” …quite the contrary. I almost have tears in my eyes thinking of the HALF-DECADE I wasted waiting for Custards etc …and even more glassy-eyed (or as @Steampugs would say “erect”) looking ahead to INSTANT GRATIFICATION in my e-juice journey.

Do I seem overly excited? Fuck steeping …my personal Nemesis …I despise you 'O Cinder Blocks of immeasurable Time …stumbling blocks on the road to vape Creation …and now YOU ARE DEAD …the word “steep” will never again (pronounced A-gAyn) fall from my lips (maybe my keyboard tho) My game is not changing, it’s beginning. So look for me around these parts. Lots of processes to discuss/develop/share, eh? Thanks for the info up top …al good stuff

11 Likes

Mr Darc of the proverbial ‘Bo’
I’ve missed ya buddy, nice to see ya again :wink:

‘Hulk smashing’ is now just part of my whole process, can’t imagine life without it brother, looking forward to you finding out the same :grin: :+1: :eyes:

7 Likes

I’m with you bro. Though, I find it difficult to get any kind of in-depth discussion going.

I know you haven’t received it yet but I might as well start. I too am a custard lover and like you I found it difficult to really delve into recipe creation. If I didn’t get it at the first or second mix I usually didn’t mess with it anymore.

I am gonna assume that you have a few custards that take 6 weeks or more to steep. I have found that these need the GC and then a week of " slow natural random molecular blending" I am very curious to see what you come up with.

6 Likes

Thanks for the heavy Custard tip …a week I can do

6 Likes

I do believe I am the only one that this happens to soooo… :man_shrugging:

Here are the recipes I have that need extra time after the GC. (maybe you will spot something I missed)

Awesome! We have been so stubborn with the whole “steeping” method that it’s turned into dogma and now there are people that treat it like holy communion. We, humans, are a diverse lot…

Me? I’m willing to learn and indeed hope for it.

7 Likes

Well as a die hard fan of all things custard, chocolates, coffee and yes cheesecakes. I have seen the difference in mixing a oneshot and I know that my mixes are finished once settled ( I don’t always use the usc) because I don’t vape off the shake as my brain gets Funky ideas. But I know for a fact that my mixes are steeped once finished homogenizing them… That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

OMG I’m about to have another “opinion” about steeping. I thinks it’s easy to understand the physics of homogenization, where the compounds are all being evenly forced together, but surely there are then chemical reactions that subsequently (and more readily) take place.

Long un-aided steeping is just limited by viscosity …a more casual blending/bonding of bases and reactions between extracts. You can easily grasp that OneShots have had a head-start in the flavor extract chemical reactions arena. Subsequent homogenization may work better with oneshots because any reactive chemistry is mostly completed and only need to be made molecularly closer (bonded?) to the carrier glycerin(s)

7 Likes

This certainly must be true.

At the same time, just look at single flavors. I like using LB Vanilla Ice Cream as an example. You mix that as a single flavor and it changes dramatically over a period of three weeks. I’m finding with the homogenizer that I can vape it right away, but it still changes substantially over at least the next 10 days or so. There’s a harshness to it that fades, and is seemingly replaced by a rounded flavor that is rich and delicious. Not to say I vape it as a solo, but I do mix it to have on hand for a base.

Some recipes will have steep eliminated entirely with homogenization while others benefit from a drastic reduction in time. One thing I’ve not really tested much is tobaccos which were always longer steepers than anything else. Frankly, I quit mixing with those flavors so someone else will have to survey that trail.

6 Likes

So I used google for the different Rotary drive options, and settled on the TackLife. Thought google linked me to the correct item I had asked for. (WRONG) GC got here Tuesday-and is gorgeous!
I paid extra for 2nd day shipping for the CORRECT TackLife Rotary tool. Expected it today. Tracking NOW says “End of day Saturday”!!! Me=frustrated.
Ive already measured and mixed my first 2 30ml Boston rounds, and wanted to spin them up, so to speak. FML :sob: soon…

11 Likes

It’s here

recipe I mixed up yesterday and set on my desk has just been visited by the heat and then the GC and is in the Ultrasonic cleaner now. Sweet!!! :raised_hands:

10 Likes

13 Likes

Well IT came (on time) Was it just me, or did you do a little light saber sound effect dance once you screwed it on your Dremel? WssZzzzZzzzzzz… and yes it was not plugged in …Hey I’m busy, fuck off :sunglasses:

11 Likes