Homogenizers and Random Thoughts

Don’t underestimate the power of OCD @woftam.

8 Likes

Fair point @Dan_the_Man

5 Likes

Nodding head in agreement.

ain’t it though? I find it very fascinating.

It’s a good analogy I’ll give y’all that but if you think about it I didn’t par broil I actually “cooked it in its own juices”

I realized that I am wrong. Has anybody ever had steak tartare? So, if you use the cooking analogy I would say that steak tartare changes flavor, does it loose it too? How about sushi?

Anyway, very interesting stuff I find.

7 Likes

Aaaaaaand this is why I didn’t want to get pulled into the whole heat debate :smiley: heh - but as long as we all agree putting them in a washing bag and tumble drying them is a bad idea, I’m sure we can all agree to disagree :wink:

8 Likes

WAIT, WHAT?!?!**
Is that true? Why am I just now learning about this? I thought you guys were my friends!! :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

These type of conversations almost always lead to me thinking deeper on a subject. I would like to think the same is true for everyone and that nobody feels the need to defend their points of view because they think they’re under attack. Bottom line is, most of us are vaping what we mix regardless of method, and if our tastes are satisfied, then it’s not wrong.

11 Likes

Amen and Amen

7 Likes

Yeah, I guess that is one of the things I am still finding out about the whole vaping community. Let us face it, most places you go online having an opinion is a crime! But although none of us are scientists I’m pretty sure most of us can make a good educated guess at what is “something that could work” and “witchcraft” :slight_smile:

That being said, apart from making the VG easier to pour, I personally see no benefit at all to heating it and do think that some of the molecules that create smell are the same ones that create some of taste too, so letting them out is bad. Eh, I still have a lot to learn, so maybe even that will change with time too.

/me puts himself away for a good steep.

5 Likes

I’ll be doing some a/b tests just for me after my GC arrives tomorrow(?).

This is a nice article, but only semi-related. Interesting read, though. It touches on a few key issues, like alcohol based flavors being fairly diminished by heat, and recommends possibly “spiking” the amount to counteract the fade. Also, using PG flavors instead, to increase the heat resistance of the flavor. Huh…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/amp/how-heat-affects-flavor

5 Likes

Because not only does it make it easier to pour, it also makes it easier mix, the PG in your flavours can penetrate VG easier when the VG is less viscous, therefore, creating a uniform liquid, something that normally takes a long time to do with traditional steeping.

7 Likes

You didnt see me degree ?? What more do i need to prove I am a chemist …

6 Likes

I can’t add a word to this @SthrnMixer ^^^^.

6 Likes

That was a GREAT read @Plunderdrum.

5 Likes

good one. I think I’ll also put myself away for a steep. LOL.

Nice.

good article, thanks for the share.

7 Likes

@Plunderdrum I agree with everyone so far…great article.

One point that I found most relative to our discussion on heat is -

surface evaporation can cause steam distillation of certain flavor components

I’d be interested in learning what flavors we use which run the greatest risk of this happening. It seems to dovetail into the concept of if you’re smelling your flavors, they’re escaping your mix. Do any of the flavor manufacturers we use have this information, I wonder.

7 Likes

I haven’t re-read the article yet, but iirc, it seemed like they were referring to boiling points. They didn’t go into at what temperature flavors may flash off, but I got the vibe that the harm to outcome comes at a much higher temp than we would ever use, until we hit the go-buttom on our mods, that is. I plan on re-reading and going farther down this path.

5 Likes

me too.

5 Likes

To get steam distillation happening you would have to have water and 100c temps , however, maybe some steam would happen at 78.37 °C as any alcohol boiled off but since VG boils at 290c and PG at 188.2 °C I doubt very much that you could create a situation where a steam distillation could occur.

But I am not sure sure it could occur in a mix since the components that could boil (given the mix isnt excessively heated) would be very low.

Just as a side note most of the citrus flavours that MF make are a combo of co2 extract then steam distillation.

MF Lime SDS

5 Likes

To follow that up with:

https://anandaessentialoils.com/2018/01/25/hype-behind-co2-essential-oils/

4 Likes

Great questions, and I wonder that as well. Smallest molecules leave first, more rapidly ?? Citrus and fruits in the front of the bus maybe ??

2 Likes