Gbox mod (inspired by other mods done to c(r)apo and gbox

So I guess everyone knows that gbox can be a very decent squonker, but the squonk bottle is terrible and the whole rigid rod mechanism is even worse.

Being a good engineer, I decided to improve the situation.

First of all I ordered myself a pack of 5 Squonk bottles from fasttech (YFTK Replacement bottom feed …)

Next part was to dig out my rare earth magnets pack that was used to magnetize my old warhammer 40k models.

I took the gbox apart, removed the dreadful rod mechanism (held in by 2 philips screws)

The magnet pack came with matching drill bits, so I drilled out the screw holes and installed magnets on both sides

The mod can now take a normal soft silicone squonk bottle, and I don’t need to open the battery doors to replace the bottle

And it looks perfect when closed

As you can see in this last photo i scuffed the paint a bit when I drilled out the screw holes (and the glue still didn’t dry properly since I did this literally 10 minutes ago)

The screw holes will be filled out with black milliput, smoothed out, and i will probaby sand and repant the whole back section (update will be posted when applicable :smiley:)

Super simple mod done in 15 minutes.

6 Likes

Yep, did that a while back (it’s here somewhere on the forum). I hated those crap stock bottles.

2 Likes

Smoothing out the screw holes on the cover (WiP)

2 Likes

The cover got sanded with 360 grit (dry), 600 grit (dry), 1000 grit (wet) and 2000 grit (wet) and is now ready for paint:

360 grit

600 grit

1000 grit

2000 grit

tomorrow primer and paint :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Primer (2 coats after taking a few blemishes out in the first coat)

And paint :slight_smile:

The color I went with is Arctic blue - dark metallic blue that was used on certain WWII airplanes.

6 Likes

Almost done :smiley:

6 Likes

That looks awesome, good job! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks man!

3 Likes

Very nice, looks better than new.
Great workmanship.

4 Likes

Thanks man!

3 Likes

Hi have already changed the bottle. Was looking at doing the magnets instead of screws.
Which magnets did you use in replacement.
Thanks Mark

1 Like