Bull City Flavors Myster Flavor Contest Streams LIVE 12-19-22 @ 2100 EST

Lot’s of judging …

https://www.youtube.com/@DIYorDIEvaping/streams

6 Likes

I’m told all the judges are going to be on the live stream….

5 Likes

I wish I could have made it …

5 Likes

My apologies, as I had stated 12-20, looks like tonight’s the night.

5 Likes

Because I couldn’t make the show …

1. 321 Mixed Berry Sweet Tart
Accuracy (5) 3
Originality (5) 3
Development (5) 3
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 6
Total (25) 15
Notes – Not bad, but not really presenting as a Mixed Berries. Mystery flavor very light, and gets lost in the mix. Sweet Tart dominant.

2. Bermondsy
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 4
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 8
Total (25) 21
Notes – Surprisingly good. With only INW Biscuit and the Mystery Flavor, the Mystery Flavor takes on almost a sort of jammy-ness, which was unexpected. True to the desc. biscuit on the front end, mystery flavor on the exhale. Very original, smartly done.

3. Blueberry and Pistachio Cinnamon Crumble
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 5
Total (25) 17
Notes – Not truly in my wheelhouse, can’t decide if crafted, or a mashup. Quite a unique pairing of flavors, not sure if it 100% works. Unsure if the mystery flavor was accenting the BB or not.

4, Bussin Bubble Gum
Accuracy (5) 5
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 7
Total (25) 20
Notes – Recipe was smartly crafted. Still light on the bbgum, but flavors combined well. Author right about candy stick accentuating powdered sugar notes. Could have used .5 times more bbgum. Mystery flavor present, and did accent recipe good.

5. Cherry Smash CANNOT RATE, OWN RECIPE 25 POINTS !!!
Accuracy (5)
Originality (5)
Development (5)
Mystery Flavor Usage (10)

6. Creamy Apple Cheesecake
Accuracy (5) 3
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 4
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 6
Total (25) 18
Notes – This was actually a very good creamy cheesecake. With 5 cream/creamy elements, the Fuji got all but obliterated in the mix. Could smell it in the bottle, but barely taste on the inhale with a very light, brief whiff of the mystery flavor on the exhale. To better showcase the Apple and mystery flavors, the creams would have to be reduced somewhat. Great cheesecake, apple and mystery need pushed.

7. Custard Bomb
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 5
Total (25) 20
Notes – A surprisingly good custard, tempered with a non descript fruity sweetness. Because the myster flavor is so light, it didn’t clearly reveal itself or profile, but it’s effect could be tasted throughout. More of a fruit blended into a custard, as opposed to on top. Liked it more than I thought I would have.

8. Dragon Ball Breaker
Accuracy (5) 3
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 18
Notes – Looking at the flavors, an interestingly crafted recipe. Tried, and tried, and never really got a jawbreaker from it. With the fruitiness of the mystery flavor, it was well paired, BUT, got lost in the overall mix. This was surprisingly tasty. Lots of flavors, could have easily been a trainwreck, but turned out not to be. Different, enjoyable.

9. Dragons Passion
Accuracy (5) 5
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 9
Total (25) 22
Notes – Very interesting taste. Author stated tastes like a Watermelon Patch flavor, and was pretty close. I got an almost watermelon lightly tempered by a grapefruit. All in, skillfully crafted, and so much so that maybe only the dragonfruit stood out, with the remaining players, creating a very unique stage for it. Early standout in my tests thus far.

10. Enchanted Paradise
Accuracy (5) 3
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 3
Total (25) 17
Notes – By looking at the flavors, it did look very tropical, didn’t present as entirely tropical when tasting. There was a persistant dryness, almost like a few double mint gum flavors. Will be interested to see if any of the other judges pick up on this. Not bad, but the dry kick at the end, carried through.

11. Handful of Bare Gelatin Bears
Accuracy (5)3
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 19
Notes – Not 100% sure if tis is Gummy Bears or not. Good tasting, and I topped the originality scoring, because even if it wasn’t spot on Gummy Bears, manipulating the mystery flavor from the bottom up using WF Marshmallow Gooey was a very interesting approach. Maybe not spot on, but a good vape.

12. Island White
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 19
Notes – Unexpected that the author got grape from the mystery flavor, but he/she was able to pull it all together in an unexpected way. I typically NEVER use INW Cactus, so this was surprising that I could vape this one. Suprisingly, and interestingly good.

13. Major Tom
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 22
Notes – Disclaimer; This is SOMEWHAT similar to one of my own ADV’s albeit less complex, but I’ll suffer through, hehe. I found it very interesting the author got blueberry/plum from the mystery flavor. Very interesting. He/she DID indeed work the hell out of it, and this was actually a very good bb yogurt with granola. The granola is debatable as TPA’s CGC is typically identifiable, but he/she did a skilled job of lowering it enough to give some (maybe) granola. Nicely done, high scoring for originality, and development.

14. Mystery Salad
Accuracy (5) 3
Originality (5) 3
Development (5) 4
Mystery Flavor Usage (10) 5
Total (25) 15
Notes – This isn’t a salad type that I’m familiar with. Not a bad custard, and although loving and using Sobucky’s Ripe Cherry, I don’t know that it’s peeking through the heavy cream/custard here. It might add just a pinch at the tail end, and the mystery flavor IMO, gets almost as lost. Great tasting custard, but fruit salad-ish, it isn’t.

15. Mystery Soda
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 19
Notes – Nice, but needed something to push it over the finish line. Sweetener maybe, not bad, lemon focused withoout being tart or nerdy, lightly based other fruits. Fresh, tasty, probably a pinch of EM and SUC.

16. Paranormal Fruit Smoothie
Accuracy (5) 3
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 3
Total (25) 18
Notes – Not sure if it was the Ginger or the Yogurt, but not landing squarely in my wheelehouse for some reason. Original, but to my tastes, wasn’t getting a smoothie, but mid strong yogurt undertone, with Ginger riding on the top. Original, but not a personal profile of choice.

17. Tampico (Red)
Accuracy (5) 5
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 21
Notes – Almost red enough, but felt like it needed some more, probably cherry. The yogurt and cream did thicken a bit, perhaps too much, as it approached thicker than juice drink, almost. Nice tasting.

18. The Mystery Machined
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 5
Total (25) 20
Notes – I don’t use Starfruit much, but this was a good, almost simple use of it. On paper it didn’t look like it, but it had an almost Fruit Punch quality to it. Fresh, light, and punchy.

19. Trifle Delight
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 4
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 19
Notes – Having never had a Trifle, had to look it up, and with fruit, cake, and pudding on the list, this one came fairly close. Wasn’t 100% sold on it, but it wasn’t bad. Nice pairing of the Sweet RB and Lemon. Maybe if I’d had one, I could better compare. Did the mystery flavor peek through ??

20. Troplike Smoothies
Accuracy (5) 4
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 4
Total (25) 22
Notes – I absolutely HATE cooling agents of any kind, so trying to keep that in check. Even though smoothies aren’t my typical, and cooling either, this MAY be one of the best uses of the mystery yet. Surprisingly thin (almost) and felt like it needed to be creamed, or thickened up a bit. Taste wise, was very good, good melding. Even though the mystery flavor was light, I did pick up on it, in this one.

21. Vanilla Ice Cream w./ Warm Raspberry Sauce
Accuracy (5) 5
Originality (5) 5
Development (5) 5
Total (25) 22
Notes – This would probably be my favorite of the contest entries. A sucker for Ice Cream and SB’s ?? Perhaps. Very nicely crafted, and good tasting. Could use some MO ice cream creaminess, but what are you going to do. Pretty spot on, delicious, etc. and about the only issue (as in many other entries), was the mystery flavor wasn’t very present, but that was due to it being fairly weak, rather than construction errors. Tasty.

5 Likes

Any reipes with these? @SessionDrummer

3 Likes

@Luke, thus far, only myself, @wllmc, and @Fiddy have made them public …

4 Likes