Advanced Mixing - Libations

Ok, gotta preface this topic with a disclaimer.

I was born in the American South. Here, when I was young, it was Budweiser or Old Milwaukee - or moonshine or Jack Daniels. Anything else and you were a sissy of the highest order.

Fast forward nearly 50 years, and I for one have discovered an affinity for a good cocktail, craft beer or other non-redneck libations.

Wife used to be a bartender, so I’ve had all the standards over the past 20+ years. But once in a while we’ll hit on something that just pleases the palate. For example, Ruby Red grapefruit juice, cranberry juice and Absolut grapefruit vodka. Holy hell!

This evening my wife treated me to the quintessential girly drink that I fell in love with…

Single drink -

Put some of the caramel sundae syrup in a saucer. Dip the rim of the glass in it.
In another saucer, add some course-ground sea salt. Dip the caramal rimmed glass in the salt.

Drizzle some caramel into the inside walls of the glass.

In a shaker with ice, add…
2 oz Mudslide mixer (with 12.5% rum, so not the non-alcoholic version)
1.5 oz Smirnoff Kissed Caramel

Strain/pour into the prepared glass with fresh ice.

Unlike the salted rim of a Margarita, which uses the salt as a contrast to the sweet-sour of the drink, the salt in this cocktail actually compliments the sweetness of the caramel. It’s quite amazing.

I can share quite a few more but will stop here and ask the VC family to chime in with your favorite nuggets. Doesn’t need to be holiday drinks, just whatever tickles your fancy.

12 Likes

So your saying you are now a… lol

Seriously though, was the same here when I was growing up. A very beer or spirits orientated culture. I used to drink pretty much everything and then I stopped… completely! Imaging how well that went down as I was a 6’4", tattooed biker that didn’t drink any alcohol… lol

So sorry, don’t have any suggestions but interested in the topic mate. :grin:

5 Likes

Being a Scotch, Bourbon, and Gin aficionado I have a few selections.

Look up recipes for the following:

Bourbon:
Kentucky Mule
Blackberry Smash with Bourbon
Classic Old Fashioned
Stawberry Smash

Scotch Peated:
Godfather
Rusty Nail
Old Fashioned

Scotch non peated:
Old Fashioned
Scotch and tonic

Gin:
Gin and tonic

I experiment a lot, sue me.

5 Likes

I always wanted to try this but haven’t. Seems the ginger ale may be hard to come by lately. Anyone remember this from ELR, 2016?

4oz Knob Creek Rye
2oz Ale 8 One Ginger Ale
1/2oz Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
2 drops lemon essential oil

4 Likes

Hehe, I hadn’t liked it yet, so think I missed it.

3 Likes

@SthrnMixer this may or may not interest you the lads at Benny & Friends are doing a show this week (i think Wednesday night your time). Where they are using their flavours to flavour Gin and or Vodka.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCri8zEqy2oN4Q5N8DiSrJ0w

Edit. oops a couple of edits there but i am pretty sure it is Benny’s show doing ti

4 Likes

Thanks Simon. Very doubtful I can make that with kids/grandkids coming for the holiday. Does sound really interesting though. Like that one I mentioned in my original post using the Absolut Grapefruit vodka. Dude, a little Medicine Flower Grapefruit would probably rival anything you can get at a liquor store. Oooh, the MF Lemon!! Bazaam!

5 Likes

One to store away to watch when u have the time :+1:

4 Likes

Here’s another good’ern if you like coffee. My concoction.

1-1/2 oz Kahlua
1-1/2 oz ready-to-drink ice coffee. I like Stok
1 oz Pinnacle Whipped Vodka or Smirnoff Whipped Cream Vodka

Add to shaker with ice. Shake and strain into glass with ice.
For more yum, try adding your favorite flavored or unflavored cream.
Enjoy!

3 Likes

I got on Captain Morgan and Coke Zero last year. Always love rum n coke, and the Coke Zero gives all the flavor without the sugar. Win win.

Then I experimented a bit and found Seagram’s Diet Ginger Ale and CM makes for a great drink. Hung on to that for a while.

Then I thought…the CM and Coke creates a somewhat creamy back note that is really incredible. How about CM and Cream Soda? It took me a bit, but I found Zevia Zero Calorie Cream Soda. That said, I give you…

THE ROB

In a rock glass over ice -
1 part Zevia Zero Calorie Cream Soda
1 part Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Lime wedge, squeezed in

You’re welcome

2 Likes