A bizzare incident - explosion and fire - Opus Battery Charger

Just got a response from Mooch, thankful he responded and @anon96069639, check your PM :

Hello,

I recently finished testing two of those chargers, V3.1, for my patrons and they did not overheat when charging. Certain components reached 130°C when discharging though and the circuit board material under and nearby was too damn hot for its max temp rating. But if the unit was charging then that’s not an issue.

Some questions… - Were the batteries being charged or were they being tested when they blew?

How long had they been in the charger?

Have the batteries ever run hot before when being charged?

Were the battery wraps in PERFECT condition or could they have been beat up a bit?

Were the batteries ever accidentally short-circuited, even for a split-second?

Do you use the batteries until they get hot, chain vaping, and then stop for a bit before vaping again?

Have you ever charged those batteries when they were below 0°C?

Were those batteries ever brought down to below 2.5V?

Samsung batteries spray out through three slots under the top contact when in thermal runaway. The ejecta leaves the battery perpendicular to the long axis of the battery (“sideways”) at several hundred degrees-C. This hot material can easily bring adjacent batteries also into thermal runaway. It’s how the failure of one cell can spread throughout an entire battery pack, destroying every cell in it.

The top contact can eventually melt though, allowing the ejecta to spray “up” and out of the battery too.

Sometimes the shifting contents of a battery can clog the top venting holes, resulting in increased internal pressure. This can literally stretch the battery and undo the top crimp that holds everything inside. The battery then undergoes what is often called “rapid disassembly”. We call it exploding. :slight_smile:

Depending on the location of the fault in the battery it can also burst through the side of the metal can. This can very easily send the adjacent battery into thermal runaway too.

The internal resistance of a battery doesn’t go up much as the battery ages unless it has been badly damaged from severe abuse during charging or discharging. This means there isn’t much of an increase in the heating of the battery as it’s being charged or used.

Charging a 25R at 1A when new creates 1A * 1A * 25mOhms of internal resistance = 0.025W of heat. Even if the internal resisted tripled it would create less than 1/10th of a watt of heat…insignificant. After a couple hundred cycles the internal resistance often has only increased by about 15%-20% though.

If the cells were becoming more and more damaged internally from something the increase in heat would be VERY noticeable. The external temperature of the battery needs to be way over 100°C before it approaches the point where it might go into thermal runaway and burst. A short-circuit though can cause the internal temp to skyrocket almost instantly.

I often see references to “faulty” batteries. But the most often quoted spec for the internal failure rate of batteries from the major manufacturers is one in one million batteries. So, while it’s not impossible that a Samsung battery was faulty the odds that it was are astoundingly low.

Recovering that charger is critical, though I realize it will be unpleasant. Remove the four screws from the back and take close up, very well lit, in perfect focus, shots of the circuit board.

Then remove the bunch of screws holding the circuit board down, many screws are hard to see, rotate the board out of the unit, and photo the other side.

Let’s see if we can spot any obvious failure points internally or if we might just be talking about an external-only failure, i.e., one only involving the battery.

The protection circuitry in the Opus, if functioning properly, can only stop the charging if the outside of the cell reaches about 60°C before the inside of the cell goes into thermal runaway. And that’s only after waiting several seconds for that 60°C temp to work it’s way through to the unit’s temp sensor. A short circuit can blow a cell in almost instantly.

Whew…okay, that’s enough to get us started. So sorry to hear about this but I am glad it wasn’t any worse. Hopefully we can find the cause.

Regards, Mooch

10 Likes

My pleasure and thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are a Vaping Community, we gotta be there for each other :+1:

7 Likes

Wow.
Very enlightening as always!
Thank you Mooch for continuing to educate us.

7 Likes

I need a break :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Holy smokes! Good to hear you guys are alright! Thanks for sharing Dan, things like this needs to be brought to everyone’s attention. If anyone has a charger box or ideas on how to build one, I would really like to get ahold of one myself. Qudos to everyone helping to get to the bottom of this!

6 Likes

Awesome! Please share, I’d like to see what you come up with. I think in the meantime I’ll do some research myself.

5 Likes

Hey @anon96069639, did you happen to see the PM I sent you? Mooch is not on hear but wanted to hear from you directly, info in the PM

6 Likes

Did it get rusty after, maybe in the “soup”? bay 3 is super rusty…

6 Likes

Both springs are pretty rusty too.

6 Likes

@anon96069639 I am so very glad you are ok, this is literally my worst nightmare in the vape world, I won’t be charging my batteries overnight anymore…with the rust on the battery slide, do you keep your charger in a workshop or someplace that doesn’t have constant a/c? I’m wondering if our lovely humidity could be a major contributor to the rust…

7 Likes

Gut shots first please! :laughing:

7 Likes

When I first read that I thought you said gunshots first, and I was totally down for shooting something before throwing it away Lol guess I really am a redneck…

8 Likes

I learned by losing some fishing gear that humidity sucks, all my reels and hooks and metal stuff stay inside where the AC runs, instead of the garage like they used to lol. The wife doesn’t like a corner of our bedroom being dedicated to fishing tackle, but she likes it less when I have to go buy all new fishing tackle lol

8 Likes

Now the problem is that I can’t unsee that image. :grin:

8 Likes

This has got me thinking. Maybe a metal box lined with ceramic or marble tiles that can fit 3 or 4 chargers. Sometimes you can find places that will sell scraps from countertops and leftover tiles for really cheap.

3 Likes

Yes, ceramic or marble will add to heat resistance but also have no or very low electrical conductivity. As long as the outer metal box contains any explosion, the ceramic won’t be shrapnel.

6 Likes

Here. Hold my beer…

5 Likes

The sad thing is I don’t even drink, can’t use that as an excuse lol

5 Likes

I don’t drink much either, and in the rare case I do, it’s damn sure not beer! lol (I’m a scotch fan).
I’m pretty sure there have to be Rednecks in Ireland and Scotland too! :wink: They just have a different accent, and terms. :laughing:

5 Likes

I have never owned another battery charger that ran as hot as the Opus. In spite of its annoyingly loud fan, it still put out an excessive amount of heat. I don’t see that it charged batteries any faster or more efficiently or any other reason it could have to put out more heat other than poor design. I wish I would have saved mine and sent it to mooch or someone that wanted to tear it apart, but it went straight in the trash. Thanks for sounding the alarm. This is much more serious than buttons that rattle or poor flavor and frankly just not worth the risk.

4 Likes