VSO Single Flavor Tests Part II by SessionDrummer

I’m also in the U.K. and have looked into getting some but what with the shipping costs and then the probability of getting hit with customs charges it’s just too much. Chef’s did stock VSO for a while and not too long ago I asked if they would be restocking them, sadly their reply was a firm no. Maybe NomNomz would be more accommodating.

4 Likes

Yep to dam expensive I’m just going to make subs and go with it over thinking sometimes not worth the hassle mf is The same that stuffs through the roof

4 Likes

Lemon Raw ** (VSO) 0.3% / 0.6% (6-5-22) – Having tested a few of Shane’s “Raw” flavors, which are completely undiluted, I knew to start low, very low. I started testing this one at 0.3%, and decided to double it to 0.6%, and will review it at that weight. When starting out this test at the lower weight, it felt like it needed a little more, and pushing it up a bit, helped to open up the flavor. Clean, citrus-y, and punchy were the adjectives I kept coming back to on this one. All make obvious sense since VSO fruits are natural extracts, and this one was a shining example of that. Full spectrum Lemon here, with some mid body notes, and plenty of sparkly high end, bright notes. At 0.6% it was very nicely full, and punchy, with almost mid-level sweet. Not a lemonade, but a somewhat sweetened lemon. Very natural tasting, clean, and accurate were what this one delivered on. Not bitter, not candied, nor a candy, but simply, sweetened JUST enough. Obviously with the sub 1% usage rates, this, and the other “raw” flavors are Ultra concentrated, and should be used as such. I could see this one working perfectly in Lemonades, Lemon Tarts, Lemon Custards/Cheesecakes, etc. Very clean, and accurately placing this one @ 9.75/10.

4 Likes

Lime Raw ** (VSO) 0.3% / 0.6% (6-10-22) – Directly on the heels of the Lemon Raw, I was pleased to see this one, carried on with the same tradition. With this one being a “raw” as well, I started low, at 0.3%, and also tested 0.6% and again, it seemed to open up a bit more at the higher rate, with no ill effects. This one presented as a very natural, clean, and crisp Lime, hands down, end of story. Not overpowering, and it did seem to cover the full spectrum of the lime, without any bitterness. Slightly tart-ish, about mid level sweet, and missing nothing as far as I could tell. Without delaying the rest of this series, I did have the urge to toss this in with the Lemon Raw, but I’ll hold off until the end. Hands down, a great lime, that will work for most, if not all of your Lime-y needs. Handily a 9.4/10.

2 Likes

Maraschino Cherry (VSO) 2.5% / 5.0% (6-11-22) – Sharing a somewhat relaxed profile like VSO’s Cherry, I decided to double this one up to 5.0%. At 2.5% the delicious Maraschino didn’t feel like it was fully being fleshed out, and at the doubled rate of 5.0% it was far more present. At this higher rate, it was a deliciously clean, and accurate MC. Very natural tasting as expected, and NO off notes, florals, medicinals or anything off-putting that is VERY common with artificial Cherries. I wouldn’t call it a “bright red” MC, but still very mara none the less. It actually hard some darker tones, and while not a black cherry, worked to fill this one out with both darker/lower, and some brighter/higher notes. I really think that pushing this one, opened it up, and allowed you to better enjoy it. No pits, BUT, I did get a hint of “skin” from time to time. Accurate, clean, with some full bodied / darker nuances is what this one delivered on. About mid-level sweet, and slightly tart on the finish, this one could really help you out, in your cherry quest. It’s possible it could have been pushed higher, but it felt unneeded, as at 5.0% it was very full. Sweet, with just enough tartness, and all natural tasting this one was hard to fault. Again, not a bright red mara, but that was supplemented with some darker tones. Nicely placing this one at 9/10.

2 Likes

Milk (VSO) 3% (6-11-22) – As previously stated, testing Milks (and creams) can sometimes be a challenge, because solo’d they don’t always reveal themselves, and/or how they will impact a recipe. This one proved to be a clean, somewhat dariy-ish flavor with a nice mouthfeel, and a sweetened creamy finish. It was veyr clean, with no overt malted, or powdered notes like many other “milks”. Because of this, it was harder to quantify, and with Shane’s billing as,

" Fresh, clean and crisp with a hint of creamy mouthfeel. Perfect for your next cereal recipe!"

, I could see this working out perfectly in that regard. Many people use Milks not for a milky taste, but more of a blender, softener, and / or creamy enhancer. Because this was did have some sweetness, and just below mid-level sweet, I think a cereal milk is EXACTLY where it will shine. No off notes, no strange aftertastes, just a clean, simple milk, with an almost creamy mouthfelt finish to it. Cleanly done, and it felt perfect @ 9.2/10.

4 Likes

Vanilla Cream (VSO) 3% (6-12-22) – I actually finished off the ENTIRE tester, trying to answer ONE question. Was it Vanilla in Cream, or Cream in Vanilla !!! What a FLAVORFUL, complete, and TOTAL waste of time, because, … I still can’t figure it out !!! Had ya for a second, right ?? OK, this one, like EVERY single other cream/creamy flavor from VSO has Shane’s trademark velvety smooth-ness. I honestly couldn’t figure out if it leaned more heavily towards the V, or the C, but let’s call it an even split. It’s a fascinating one to taste, as the on rush of vanilla, with a creamy feel on the front end, sets the tone for the duration. Swirling vanilla intertwined with a velvety smooth cream that is/are/was perfectly paired. Now I struggled to really identify exactly WHICH Vanilla was in here, and at first I leaned towards a Madagascar, but then later, leaned towards a blend. Either way, it is a delicious co-star of this show. The creamy mouthfeel, and (repeating) velvety smooth aspect of the cream, makes it similar to a few of Shane’s other offerings, but very unlike any other MFG’s. This of course places it right onto the top of the unique pile. At 3% not only could I find NO faults, off-notes, or artificial-ness, but it felt perfectly situated. The perfect pairing (IMO) left this one WIDE OPEN for a multitude of uses, because it didn’t lean harshly to either a smidge of Vanilla with a Pound of cream, or vice versa. Wow, Puddings, Custards, Icings, Milkshakes, etc., the list goes on and on with what you could use this one with, AND, dare I say, use it SOLO !!! Velvety smooth, perfectly paired Vanilla and Cream(s), with about mid-level sweetness await you with this one. When you pick it up, you TOO, may be stuck solo’ing it, like I did, because it’s JUST that good. 10/10.

4 Likes

Waffle (VSO) 3% / 6% (6-16-22) – I decided to spend some EXTRA time on this one, as it was somewhat of a mystery to me. At the initial testing weight of 3%, I got a very, very light waffle flavor, but just really light to my tastes. I decided to double it to 6%, and although it increased, it did not double in strength, so your Single Flavor rates, will probably land somewhere in the 4.0-4.5% give or take. I think what was confusing me, was my OWN expectations, or my typical results when testing Waffles, always seemed to have a somewhat heavy butter, or syrup baked in, and because Shane specifically billed this one as a “Naked Waffle”, now I get it.

This waffle is straight to the point. No crispy edges, no syrup, no butter. A waffle straight from the iron, ready for you to add your own personal touches. Need some inspiration? Try adding some VSO Maple to it, and you are well on your way!

Maybe I should have read the product page LOL. OK, In the absence of butter or syrup, this flavor presented lighter than expected, and I did prefer it at the higher rate. Not whole wheat, but more of a lighter, Belgian waffle. There were not any darker, or toasted elements, and it was a very “clean” waffle". Even at the higher 6% rate, nothing got squirrel-y, out of place, and there were no off-notes. Because it presented fairly light, I think it would be best served with some butter and/or syrup, and you could boost it with another waffle, IF needed. As it stood, it was a very clean, relaxed, Belgian waffle with no extras, which left you completely able to shape it in any way you needed. Blank slate breakfast. Because I had become very used to heavier waffle flavors, most with butter and syrup, this one was hard to judge, as it was much more of a blank slate waffle, waiting to be molded/pushed/pulled. After numerous testers, I finally decided to place it at a 8,75/10.

4 Likes

From Shane on ELR …

5 Likes

White Chocolate (VSO) 3% (6-19-22) – Because this one was the LAST of the NEW VSO flavors for me, I was not exactly RUSHING to get it done, as this last batch of newer flavors were REALLY good, and many squarely unique to VSO. While admittedly never being a huge White Choco fan, it might just make me the one TO review one. White Chocolate has a pretty interesting past, and very often is the same as our beloved Chocolates without the Cocoa Nibs. Wait a minute, NIBS ?? Yes, nibs. Lately there have been some MFG’s that have cut corners, and replaced the cocoa butter with oils, so beware, and check the label. With that out of the way, this one presented as a clean, almost rich, natural White Chocolate, through and through. Not only have I had some terrible chocolates, but I’ve had some not so great white chocolates as well, so clearly, it’s not easy getting it right. Shane seems to have done just that here however. It was actually surprisingly rich @ 3%, with a nice mouthfeel along for the ride. The one thing that was consistently great with this one was the cocoa butter, and I got it every time. About mid level sweet, and most importantly, it was convincing to it’s namesake. It had an almost little “twang” on the finish, and I’m convinced that it just made it all the more realistic. Smooth, creamy, and convincing were the three things that I kept going back to when taking my notes. What more could you ask for ?? Not much. Easily a 9.75/10.

5 Likes

Wow, I’m very glad I decided to pick up some of Shane’s new flavors over at VSOFlavors.com, because up until now, I had really only tried his fruit offerings, which were stellar. Clearly Shane’s expertise goes WELL beyond fruits, and that should be evident by the test results above. I was lucky enough that Shane actually threw in a few Betas into the box, and you got to read about them here, first. Hope you guys liked these reviews, and I know I’m going to be making space on my “Top Shelf” shelves for them.

7 Likes

Mine are so far…

It might be dark, but VSO is the one at the top

3 Likes

VERY nice @St3v0 !!!

2 Likes

35% OFF !!!

4 Likes

NomNoms has VSO
I know. I’ve had my head under a rock

4 Likes

Thanks @Tmease.