Using the PS 250 Homogenizer

That is pretty damn cool

6 Likes

Hella cool, and I’ll add “I wish I lived close to you @anon96069639!”

Totally respect the contributions, and appreciate your sharing your thoughts and ideas. It’s been wonderful food for thought, as well as quite enjoyable to read!

I wish I had the funds to get into this level of “toys”… But I’m glad I don’t OTOH. My personal rabbit hole is already amply deep thank you very much! =P lol

8 Likes

Just because we don’t all post on the Homogenizer threads doesn’t mean we don’t read and adsorb all the gems of valuable info your generating
Do keep em coming.
Bob.

8 Likes

Geez do I hate missing awesome threads. This is one of them. That is, as Sparky said, hella cool!!

5 Likes

I agree, this stuff is truly fascinating. I would imagine this is a peek behind the curtain into how some better premium commercial juice is made too…

5 Likes

So I’m curious about flavors like cap sugar cookie that tend to fade over a traditional month or more steep…does this flavor fade from traditional steeping carry over, or does combining the flavors thoroughly while still freshly mixed negate that? Lemon is another flavor that seems to fade out of mixes as well…

4 Likes

IME, it varies. And I can only attribute the variance to the innate properties of particular flavors. I’m not sure if it’s inherent in the chemical composition, the process in which they’re created, or some combination thereof.

Take Cap lemon meringue pie for instance. That one fades with time regardless of whether I’ve just put it away, or run it through the USC first.

While on the other hand, MF lemon gets stronger with time. But it’s processed differently, and is also an extract.

I have Ina lemon… But my batch was suspect since it had to be used at almost 5% to start with. So I can’t even hazard a guess on that due to the uncertainties. (it fades slightly, but not nearly as bad as Cap and some others.)

Note: all times above are based on tests up to 4 and 6 weeks.

PS: I’m long overdue on using Sugar Cookie since I last did, so I won’t even try to remember. :laughing:

3 Likes

So it might be worth adding those flavours later? Or does that just destroy the initial intent?

2 Likes

Just that statement alone shows just how much there is that goes into mixing.

Baking a cake is so easy. Measure the right amounts, wet team first, dry team second, combine, bake. If only DIY ejuice was that simple. But no… You have to homogenize. You have to heat. Or you have to shelve it for weeks. You can’t add the nic right away if you are using mech steeping (starting to hate the word ‘steeping’ by the way). You have to figure out not only proper %, but also which vendor version works best. You have to learn what PG / VG ratio works best for you. You have to- and so on.

My wife knows I make all our juices. But she has ZERO idea how much effort I put in to it. I simply go to my “lab”, and product emerges. Must be nice!!!

4 Likes

Ah, but you see… when my children were young I was able to make things disappear and re-appear all the time. I was able to detach their nose. I was able to remove my finger and put it back on. Magic, it seems, is in the mind of the beholder. And in the DIY mixing community, those that choose to continue to believe that unknown forces are at work converting a host of disparate agents into a single, smooth blend, and it happens only through time, are indeed believers of “magic”, as that is exactly what is happening in their eyes. Poof and abracadabra and shit like that. “Wow, I tried it a month later and it was awesome, like magic!!!”

We choose to see past the mythical wonder and view this through the lens of science. For me personally, looking at it not as a recipe of flavors but as a chemical blending process lifts the veil and makes it very understandable. It is, after all, all but completely the same thing as manufacturing hand lotion, or cola, or ‘fill in the blank’, etc. It is the blending of chemicals designed to create a product. As you said, it happens all the time and has been for years in the food and personal care industry, and in fact basically all industries. If we can achieve maturation through mechanical means and eliminate the time factor, why would we not? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It very well could be.
I don’t think it would destroy the intent, but I do think it would be reflected in how well it “disperses” in the vape experience itself (due to not being as well integrated into the VG).
Meaning: there could be variances from one draw to the next of how much lemon is perceived.

It could be detrimental depending on how complex the recipe is, or how subtle any accompanying flavors could be. Hard to generalize.

Personally, my answer to the problem (flavor fade) has been to try and make no more than I’ll use in the target window. IE: if it’s only good between weeks 2 and 3, then I don’t make more than about 30ml.

3 Likes

Excellent solution. When I encounter a flavor that fades to black really quickly, I just don’t use it There are so many flavors and so many recipes to choose from that I would just find a different one. But making it in small quantities is a really smart thought.

3 Likes

Even though I buy 250ml bottles of one shot I steep it at 70/30 then pour 60ml (50ml w/10ml nic shot) at a time for the same reasons

5 Likes

Hell yeah!!!

2 Likes