Should recipe views only be logged if user is logged in?

Should recipe views only be logged if the viewee is logged in?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not Sure

0 voters

3 Likes

I answered yes because of all the past manipulation of recipe stats on other sites. If something got weird at least you can see the sources. Just my opinion because I personally don’t care for rating recipes, but know that many others do. In fact, I accidentally upvoted one of mine and tried to remove it. Couldn’t find a way.:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

If this was a “like” or rating question I would have said no as well. But views are innocuous enough, and frankly from an intertubes perspective, page hits affect search engine rankings, or at least did at one point. The more traffic the better I guess.

3 Likes

I’m definitely OK either way. Whatever is best for all including the forum. I really like the way everything is structured here.

5 Likes

Definitely, this is a well thought out and simply flowing design which I like a lot.

3 Likes

Click on upvote again :thinking: I should make that more clear somehow.

5 Likes

Done. sumtimzes I bee purty dum. :rofl:

4 Likes

The whole upvote concept is something I don’t really like. What I do like is rating system, but not like the one on ELR. My suggestion is to have dual 1-5 rating system. One is for everyone to use, and the other one is for ‘staff’, and that one should be only displayed to public.
Who is ‘staff’ is up to you to decide :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is one upvote per recipe per person, 1-5 rating systems seem to get abused.

3 Likes

Upvotes can be abused in the same way. That’s why you have two ratings.One meaningless everyone can rate it, and one by people who know what they are talking about :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or literally no rating system at all. While I did look at the ratings system at ELR and elsewhere, I actually didn’t find it useful, whether it was abused or not. And the few times I suckered myself into making one (even though I knew it didn’t seem to fit my palate), I was disappointed.

So really I wouldn’t mind no rating system at all. I do use shopping rating systems when considering a purchase, but this is obviously much different.

4 Likes

I can recall seeing people butthurt because of a 4 star rating, particularity among the “dots.” I also remember the Greek “Lemon Tart” fiasco where against my better judgement I gave it a 3 star rating which was actually a little better than I thought. You would think I committed blasphemy against the Greek Gods because I thought there was way too much cookie used. Fuck that.

5 Likes

To the inverse, I don’t care if the world thinks I made the greatest recipe ever. I don’t even publish mine publicly because I’m not into either validation or worry of ‘failure’.

5 Likes

I never published anything until I came here and have told people that I am way down on the totem pole when it comes to recipe creation and flavor paring. I’ve made a lot of Drano but am improving. But I’ll never be in the league of some here.

5 Likes

I don’t agree with that because while there are very competent mixers here, even their greatest creations don’t always match my palate. So let’s say I stumble across one of those recipes, make it, and hate it… It gets a very valid one star thumbs down from me, but that’s a disservice to those who love it, and to the creator.

4 Likes

This is not a competition in any way and should not be viewed as such.

I see it as a way to share recipes and ideas with others and grow as a mixologist.

Upvotes are there to show you enjoyed a recipe, you can also comment your thoughts if you wish.

The whole competitive recipe creation is pure nonsense.

5 Likes

I agree totally, but it is not often viewed that way. Thus the rampant abuse.

5 Likes

Everything I add serves as a filter, all filters can be used or ignored, public recipes are default sorted by date of creation, the rest is up to you.

4 Likes

Nail on the head on all counts. Its just that some people are better and more experienced at certain things like flavor pairing but I don’t view it as a competition. But a hell of a lot of people do.

I posted one yesterday that is as simple as anything could be_ 2 flavorings. But it’s a mix I enjoy and I think it might be helpful to a new mixer if they like Baileys Irish Cream or cocktail type mixes. Too many new DIYers get caught up in the 6 to 10 ingredient stuff where they can’t possibly tell what something tastes like without single flavor testing and building from there. Starting out I mixed the “top rated” and like to fucking choke to death.:rofl:

5 Likes

2 ingredients but it makes perfect sense. Sometimes simplicity is key.

5 Likes